Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Yeah you're drunk if you think we're going vanilla next week. If so, prepare for a loss, and by a large margin. WVU is actually pretty good, and present 2 legit NFL prospects on the DL. This OL can barely block Tulsa, so I'd suggest getting more creative on the offensive end....This team isn't good enough to go vanilla and win games.
I guess it's dependent on if Sanders is good to go. With a true freshman qb who didn't have a spring and hasn't practiced in a couple of weeks, I don't think the coaching staff would want to throw the kitchen sink at him in a week.

Also, I completely disagree that we aren't good enough to out talent them. OL wasn't great when Bullock was in but after that we were able to move the ball. It was apparent quick that we weren't a passing threat and any offense is going to struggle when it becomes completely one dimensional. With any threat of a dowfield attack that changes.

ArizonaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011
Agreed. The whole defense felt good. That front 7 getting 2 stops on the goaline before the delay of game after being on the field for 90% of the time was really good, even against Tulsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That doesn’t happen in previous years. I’m used to seeing teams have gaping holes and easy scores. Defense looked so much better than past years.

ArizonaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011
This is one of Coach Gundy's blind spots. He needs to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win, regardless of whether or not they're a true freshman.

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/...cle_054a497d-a4b6-58c3-89be-5112ae16367f.html
I’m not a big fan of playing freshman quarterbacks because I think they’re prone to injury and that scares me. Maybe I’m a little soft in that area, but I think when you’re young and you get out there and you play in this conference long enough, there’s a good chance you’re going to get hurt.
As opposed to a sophomore returning starter getting injured? Strong logic Mike.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I think the game thread was a shitty concept
Like there should be a game thread on a discussion board.
Yeah this sucks. We still have people posting over there on the chat room thing. So you lose a lot of different takes unless you want to switch back and forth between 2 different places. This all sucks. Especially being forced to do it.
1) Someone explain why we can't have a game thread?
Discord blows. Being back game threads.
I'm 75 and can't discern between Discord and my Lawnboy mower. However, I tried signing up and it told me f/u because you are on Linux, not Windows. Who is the rocket scientist behind this ?
I didn't mind the Discord site for random chat, but I prefer a normal thread for more in depth conversation. I'll probably post on both sites this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
1. Discord is fine. For those that are complaining, how many used it? It takes a little getting used to, but from a game flow perspective it's more real time than a message board.
Please explain that one. I can type a post here and hit reply and it posts just as fast as it does on discord. Also, I can read posts as quickly here as I can on discord. But the best thing of all, is I'm not forced to go to 2 different boards to discuss the game. My message board freedom of choice has been robbed from me. It's unconstitutional.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
View attachment 85758

We probably would have lost the game if we did not suit him up today.
Quite possibly. The offense was driving before that interception that caused him to get pulled. I was honestly surprised that he was pulled since the offense showed a little life (even if off of penalties) on the previous drive.
The INT was truly terrible tho.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Bullock was 100% the main problem, however I really think bolder action needs to be taken on the offensive line. As soon as the game started Anthony was getting beaten right away. I honestly think we should consider Sills at LT and moving Tevin back to RT. Plug the guards with the developing/less talented players, don’t mess around with it at tackle.

This^^^^^. We could have had Alabama’s OL out there with Bullock at QB and it wouldn’t have mattered. This is an opportunity for Dickey to earn his paycheck tinkering and developing this O line

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I guess it's dependent on if Sanders is good to go. With a true freshman qb who didn't have a spring and hasn't practiced in a couple of weeks, I don't think the coaching staff would want to throw the kitchen sink at him in a week.

Also, I completely disagree that we aren't good enough to out talent them. OL wasn't great when Bullock was in but after that we were able to move the ball. It was apparent quick that we weren't a passing threat and any offense is going to struggle when it becomes completely one dimensional. With any threat of a dowfield attack that changes.
Yeah...you're off your rocker lmao..... I saw Hunter Woodard, Jake Springfield, Hunter Anthony, and Ry Schiender getting dogged whipped all day lmao....I know Jaxon Player is solid, but the rest are average guys....We ran the ball towards the end b/c they worn down. TU's offense didn't help them, otherwise they win. TU lost this game more than OSU won it IMO. These guys can't move anyone, but all of a sudden you expect them to move the Stills brothers LMAO. We struggled to move the ball against them last year, so I don't expect that to change with this sorry ass group of a OL.

I don't expect Sanders to go with a high ankle sprain...he never came back on the field and was tweeting from the athletic training room. I wouldn't expect them to give him the entire playbook, but it depends on high his football IQ is? If its close to sanders....give him half reads and call it a day, but if he's shown in practice he's capable of handling more, give him more.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Please explain that one. I can type a post here and hit reply and it posts just as fast as it does on discord. Also, I can read posts as quickly here as I can on discord. But the best thing of all, is I'm not forced to go to 2 different boards to discuss the game. My message board freedom of choice has been robbed from me. It's unconstitutional.
It's really not that hard. I was able to navigate between 3 game discussions without issue.

Plus it seemed to have more optionality in responding to messages.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I don't expect Sanders to go with a high ankle sprain...he never came back on the field and was tweeting from the athletic training room. I wouldn't expect them to give him the entire playbook, but it depends on high his football IQ is? If its close to sanders....give him half reads and call it a day, but if he's shown in practice he's capable of handling more, give him more.
I'm not a fan of players being on their phones and posting on social media during the game. Every time they showed Tulsa's injured RB on the sidelines, he was on his phone. I get that they were injured and not coming in the game, but still. Keep the phones in the lockers during the game.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Since I've been saying since middle of last season, Sanders is not a starting QB. He should be relegated to a backup. If Sanders is still the QB going forward, my support for Gundy will be the lowest it's ever been and considerably so.

Grundy's lax recruiting policy needs to end ASAP. He and his assistant coaches should start recruiting as much as possible, you know, like every other coaching staff does. If you want family time, you're in the wrong business.

If Gundy does not change his QB and right the hell now, we're gonna have a losing record. Sanders should not be a starting QB. I simply do not understand how anyone could think otherwise. Sanders does not have the proper decision making speed that is needed, for one example.

Gonna be a long year boys, on top of the already insanely long year that is 2020. Buckle up, it's not gonna be pretty, especially considering TU's defense is god awful. Make no mistake, TU's defense IS awful.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I'm not a fan of players being on their phones and posting on social media during the game. Every time they showed Tulsa's injured RB on the sidelines, he was on his phone. I get that they were injured and not coming in the game, but still. Keep the phones in the lockers during the game.
You must be old, like me.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
It's really not that hard. I was able to navigate between 3 game discussions without issue.

Plus it seemed to have more optionality in responding to messages.
Well that's great if you like it. But others liked having a choice. Much like when this board used to have a chat option, but you had the choice on whether or not to use it.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Bullock was 100% the main problem, however I really think bolder action needs to be taken on the offensive line. As soon as the game started Anthony was getting beaten right away. I honestly think we should consider Sills at LT and moving Tevin back to RT. Plug the guards with the developing/less talented players, don’t mess around with it at tackle.

HUH??? Dude Sills an interior player...leave him where he is....simple as that. Jenkins can play either tackle, but the problem is we lack quality depth. There isn't an answer on the roster. Like I've said before...we have imbalance in terms of tackles and guards. Hunter Anthony isn't a tackle, and I tried telling you that....my worst fear came true...slow feet don't eat. Bryce Bray could play tackle in a pinch, but he's gone. Jacob Farrell could've played tackle, but he's gone. Jake Springfield, although a nice story, isn't ready to step in and start for you. Cole Birmingham, a nice prospect but he's not ready to play and rolled his ankle today.

Right now, we don't have a OL that's good enough to win the Big XII. We also don't have a bye week to correct the issues at hand b/c we're too nice to Tulsa and gave them an extra week. Now WVU will come in with the Stills brothers, who are much more talent, and legit NFL prospects....DIckey has his work cut out for him and right now there's no easy fixes.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Yeah...you're off your rocker lmao..... I saw Hunter Woodard, Jake Springfield, Hunter Anthony, and Ry Schiender getting dogged whipped all day lmao....I know Jaxon Player is solid, but the rest are average guys....We ran the ball towards the end b/c they worn down. TU's offense didn't help them, otherwise they win. TU lost this game more than OSU won it IMO. These guys can't move anyone, but all of a sudden you expect them to move the Stills brothers LMAO. We struggled to move the ball against them last year, so I don't expect that to change with this sorry ass group of a OL.

Some of that with Bullock could of been helped if he had an ounce of pocket awareness.

Sep 22, 2011
I put my vote into bring back the game thread

TU’s head coach should be fired before he gets on the bus.

OL/CW play might be the worst performance I have ever seen by an OSU team.

Defense was good but the QB and 1 receiver are the only 2 D1 players we played against today.

No pass rush until their OL got tired.

Chuba should have spent more time at the track and weight room than on twitter this offseason, looked sluggish and weak, the line wasn't helping but LD brown had way more explosion and power today

Sep 22, 2011
Bullock holding the ball and inaccuracy was a huge problem, but with a hurt shoulder and horrible performance by the OL, i cant really put it all on him

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

HUH??? Dude Sills an interior player...leave him where he is....simple as that. Jenkins can play either tackle, but the problem is we lack quality depth. There isn't an answer on the roster. Like I've said before...we have imbalance in terms of tackles and guards. Hunter Anthony isn't a tackle, and I tried telling you that....my worst fear came true...slow feet don't eat. Bryce Bray could play tackle in a pinch, but he's gone. Jacob Farrell could've played tackle, but he's gone. Jake Springfield, although a nice story, isn't ready to step in and start for you. Cole Birmingham, a nice prospect but he's not ready to play and rolled his ankle today.

Right now, we don't have a OL that's good enough to win the Big XII. We also don't have a bye week to correct the issues at hand b/c we're too nice to Tulsa and gave them an extra week. Now WVU will come in with the Stills brothers, who are much more talent, and legit NFL prospects....DIckey has his work cut out for him and right now there's no easy fixes.
Why shouldn’t you try Sills at Tackle? He’s phenomenal at guard but the returns are limited at thriving at that position. He’s got the requisite height to try it, he seems very laterally mobile,why not try?