Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Discord blows. Being back game threads.

Number 2 and 0 on defense were everywhere. Tackled well most of game. No one running wide open without a defender in the video. Calvin has become a 5 play a game guy.

Chuba was soft. Like throw temper tantrums on Twitter soft. LD ran much harder behind same o line.

Illingsworth should have been in first quarter. Started third quarter at a minimum. Bullock had bum throwing shoulder and they sent him anyway. Stupid.

Zero leadership. No emotion. Top down. We’re not good enough to roll out and just beat people. We have no stinger unless Wallace can film that role with a QB that will get it to him.

At the end of the day, what we just watched fits 2020 perfectly.
Seriously, where was the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I'm hoping that the passing game being nothing but throws from the numbers to the sideline is just being vanilla today. Drove me crazy last year how often we take 3/4 of the field out of play & never went beyond the reads to the sideline.

Stoner may go down as one of our most under-utilized talented WR's ever. Dude could make a living in the middle of the field, but our QB's don't seem to even know he's out there.
I don't being vanilla had anything to do with the passing game....Bullock just another Dru Brown and Illingsworth simply didn't have reps.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
How well did the corners do? Usually I’m glued to them on defense but I was pretty scatterbrained due to anger at the first half. I never noticed them accept for Rodarius’ flag and Holmes’ coverage on that one TD catch. That probably means they were pretty dang good then?
I thought that our entire secondary played really well in coverage. The only big plays Tulsa hit through the air were the result of good throws.
Agreed. The whole defense felt good. That front 7 getting 2 stops on the goaline before the delay of game after being on the field for 90% of the time was really good, even against Tulsa.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Discord blows. Being back game threads.

Number 2 and 0 on defense were everywhere. Tackled well most of game. No one running wide open without a defender in the video. Calvin has become a 5 play a game guy.

Chuba was soft. Like throw temper tantrums on Twitter soft. LD ran much harder behind same o line.

Illingsworth should have been in first quarter. Started third quarter at a minimum. Bullock had bum throwing shoulder and they sent him anyway. Stupid.

Zero leadership. No emotion. Top down. We’re not good enough to roll out and just beat people. We have no stinger unless Wallace can film that role with a QB that will get it to him.

At the end of the day, what we just watched fits 2020 perfectly.
It was a typical Gundy decision. Guy would rather have his hand forced than play a freshman QB. Bullock with a bum shoulder forced his hand. If he was healthy ...Bullock plays the rest of the game, and this sites is in flames as we talk about TU winning the game.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It was a typical Gundy decision. Guy would rather have his hand forced than play a freshman QB. Bullock with a bum shoulder forced his hand. If he was healthy ...Bullock plays the rest of the game, and this sites is in flames as we talk about TU winning the game.
Sadly, I think you're right. I was actually surprised to see him pull Bullock.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
It was a typical Gundy decision. Guy would rather have his hand forced than play a freshman QB.
This is one of Coach Gundy's blind spots. He needs to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win, regardless of whether or not they're a true freshman.

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/...cle_054a497d-a4b6-58c3-89be-5112ae16367f.html
I’m not a big fan of playing freshman quarterbacks because I think they’re prone to injury and that scares me. Maybe I’m a little soft in that area, but I think when you’re young and you get out there and you play in this conference long enough, there’s a good chance you’re going to get hurt.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I'm 75 and can't discern between Discord and my Lawnboy mower. However, I tried signing up and it told me f/u because you are on Linux, not Windows. Who is the rocket scientist behind this ?

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I feel bad for Bullock. He was clearly the number 3 and had a bad throwing shoulder. Sent him out there anyway and then hamstringed any chance of success with terrible play calling. Honestly, we’re all of you not calling our play before we even lined up? It was like clockwork.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
2 cowboy backs caught passes today, probably took 5 games to see that. After the middle of the third quarter I was pretty sure we were going to lose. If Sanders isn't good to go next week I think we will be fine as long as SI stays healthy. I prefer to watch a qb like SI that can pick a defense apart and throw the ball away when nothing is there. Hubbard found out what the rest of the season is going to be like now that everyone is keying on him. The defense was really solid, Malcolm Rodriguez is a stud. The punter had his best game yet, he may actually know the purpose of his position this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm 75 and can't discern between Discord and my Lawnboy mower. However, I tried signing up and it told me f/u because you are on Linux, not Windows. Who is the rocket scientist behind this ?
It's 9 level chess: have a discussion forum, force people to another forum, then back to the original forum for discussion of the game that just happened.

New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, the McDLT, you know, strokes of genius.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
It's 9 level chess: have a discussion forum, force people to another forum, then back to the original forum for discussion of the game that just happened.

New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, the McDLT, you know, strokes of genius.
Relax. They tried something, it didn’t take, it happens. No need to rub their noses in it.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
1. Discord is fine. For those that are complaining, how many used it? It takes a little getting used to, but from a game flow perspective it's more real time than a message board.

2. I get the decision to bring Bullock in. We have to remember this wasn’t a typical spring and fall camp so with Illingworth being out it was probably hard for the coaching staff to fully evaluate him. In hindsight we all would have preferred him earlier. Personally I think it was a mistake to not have him out to start the 2nd half. But he came in with enough time to lead us to 3 straight scoring drives (I'm counting the last one). I'd rather see him for a little more than a quarter and win versus not seeing him and losing. It worked out so I'm not totally going to blame the coaching staff there.
3. Speaking of Illingworth, let's not jump the gun just yet. He looked really good for not having any reps but it's waaayyy to early to have a quarterback debate. That being said he had pretty good prescience in the pocket which was great to see for someone coming in with as minimal experience in the offense as it gets. He has moxie.

4. The defense was great. Tulsa is Tulsa, but Zach Smith is a good enough quarterback to beat teams on his own. The secondary really held him in check and their run game was nonexistent. Even the td pass was good coverage-it was just a really great throw.

5. The placalling gets a pass today. It wasn't great but most of the game we were either handicapped at qb or trying to kill the clock. I get being on the ground in the first drive. We were trying to establish that and never really got a chance to do anything else because of Sanders injury. Plus, it's Tulsa so the coaching staff probably didn't want to show a lot. We've got West Virginia and Kansas next and most likely will be starting a true freshman. So I'd expect a couple more weeks of vanilla potato before we get into the meat of the season.

6. Alex Hale looks money. I guess not all Australian special teams players are made alike.

7. We can gripe because it wasn't a blowout but we are 1-0. I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
1. Discord is fine. For those that are complaining, how many used it? It takes a little getting used to, but from a game flow perspective it's more real time than a message board.

2. I get the decision to bring Bullock in. We have to remember this wasn’t a typical spring and fall camp so with Illingworth being out it was probably hard for the coaching staff to fully evaluate him. In hindsight we all would have preferred him earlier. Personally I think it was a mistake to not have him out to start the 2nd half. But he came in with enough time to lead us to 3 straight scoring drives (I'm counting the last one). I'd rather see him for a little more than a quarter and win versus not seeing him and losing. It worked out so I'm not totally going to blame the coaching staff there.
3. Speaking of Illingworth, let's not jump the gun just yet. He looked really good for not having any reps but it's waaayyy to early to have a quarterback debate. That being said he had pretty good prescience in the pocket which was great to see for someone coming in with as minimal experience in the offense as it gets. He has moxie.

4. The defense was great. Tulsa is Tulsa, but Zach Smith is a good enough quarterback to beat teams on his own. The secondary really held him in check and their run game was nonexistent. Even the td pass was good coverage-it was just a really great throw.

5. The placalling gets a pass today. It wasn't great but most of the game we were either handicapped at qb or trying to kill the clock. I get being on the ground in the first drive. We were trying to establish that and never really got a chance to do anything else because of Sanders injury. Plus, it's Tulsa so the coaching staff probably didn't want to show a lot. We've got West Virginia and Kansas next and most likely will be starting a true freshman. So I'd expect a couple more weeks of vanilla potato before we get into the meat of the season.

6. Alex Hale looks money. I guess not all Australian special teams players are made alike.

7. We can gripe because it wasn't a blowout but we are 1-0. I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day.
Yeah you're drunk if you think we're going vanilla next week. If so, prepare for a loss, and by a large margin. WVU is actually pretty good, and present 2 legit NFL prospects on the DL. This OL can barely block Tulsa, so I'd suggest getting more creative on the offensive end....This team isn't good enough to go vanilla and win games.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Bullock was 100% the main problem, however I really think bolder action needs to be taken on the offensive line. As soon as the game started Anthony was getting beaten right away. I honestly think we should consider Sills at LT and moving Tevin back to RT. Plug the guards with the developing/less talented players, don’t mess around with it at tackle.