Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Heard on the post game radio show we had 3 olinemen leave the game due to injury. That was a huge deal considering how thin we were before the game even started. I thought they looked better in the 4th quarter, especially considering those injuries.

Dickey will get the oline to be at least serviceable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
ESPN claims “Pokes certainly drop in polls after that performance, but just how far ?”

maybe deserved
But any other Top 15 team escape with a win might drop a spot or not, based on past. But this is a weird season and we are often disrespected

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Illingsworth didn't play because he had been held out of a number of practices as a result of COVID protocol. He missed at least a week and had about 10 snaps in the last week according to Dave, John and Robert.

The minute Sanders was shaken up (before he went to the training room) they said Illingsworth wouldn't be available today as a result of the practices missed.
Did they actually say it was because of Covid? I didn’t see that. If there’s any other reason that he wasn’t getting all of the #2 snaps then Gundy’s age over ability habits have lost their head. Bullock is a scrub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/Gopokesvoice/status/1307415473223536640?s=19

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm 75 and can't discern between Discord and my Lawnboy mower. However, I tried signing up and it told me f/u because you are on Linux, not Windows. Who is the rocket scientist behind this ?
Just signing up and using chrome or brave to access the website should have nothing to do with your o/s.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
How can you not figure out who your backup QB should be?

would have liked to have seen more Illingworth just to see how he performed
Remember when Brandon Weeden was the third string QB behind Alex Cate?

I’m fairly certain Gundy fills out the depth chart by pulling names out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
One thing I forgot, malcolm rodriguez is really good, like has a shot at the NFL good.
I remember when he signed and I looked at that class . For reasons I can’t explain, I remember thinking he was going to play early and have an impact. No idea what I saw in him, and I’m far from a talent scout, but I nailed that one.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We've seen Illingworth play for less than a half against an awful Tulsa team. So, of course he should be the starter over our incumbent starter, even if the incumbent is healthy, but Gundy, and whatnot.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We've seen Illingsworth play for less than a half against an awful Tulsa team. So, of course he should be the starter over our incumbent starter, even if the incumbent is healthy, but Gundy, and whatnot.
Ah, anti intellectualism right out of the gate. Football season is, indeed, upon us.

Not sure why you can't acknowledge the following facts.
1. Illingworth looked good considering Tulsa supposedly has a decent defense, he's barely practiced, it was his first time playing a college football game.
2. Gundy has a HORRID track record picking QBs, because he has some baked-in assumptions that limit his decision making.
3. Spencer Sanders' style of play necessitates a good backup, because he's likely to be injured running as often as he does.

I'm not seeing tons of people saying that Illingworth should start over Sanders (think I saw 1-2 posts suggesting that). What I'm seeing are people that are encouraged by what they saw yesterday, and are excited to see him play more. Another thing to consider is that Gundy, once again, somehow decided that Bullock was a better backup than Illingworth. How? We all saw their skillsets on display yesterday. One showed P5 talent, the other showed lower level / backup skills. Why can't Gundy pick the most effective QB?

Sep 22, 2011
Ah, anti intellectualism right out of the gate. Football season is, indeed, upon us.

Not sure why you can't acknowledge the following facts.
1. Illingworth looked good considering Tulsa supposedly has a decent defense, he's barely practiced, it was his first time playing a college football game.
2. Gundy has a HORRID track record picking QBs, because he has some baked-in assumptions that limit his decision making.
3. Spencer Sanders' style of play necessitates a good backup, because he's likely to be injured running as often as he does.

I'm not seeing tons of people saying that Illingworth should start over Sanders (think I saw 1-2 posts suggesting that). What I'm seeing are people that are encouraged by what they saw yesterday, and are excited to see him play more. Another thing to consider is that Gundy, once again, somehow decided that Bullock was a better backup than Illingworth. How? We all saw their skillsets on display yesterday. One showed P5 talent, the other showed lower level / backup skills. Why can't Gundy pick the most effective QB?
Tulsa’s defense is hot garbage, maybe 1 player that would start on a p5 team.
this decision was made from Illingworth missing a ton of practice
I agree Sanders will continue to get hurt but he is still the better QB, and we need an athlete back there with our current OL situation

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Don't want to repeat what others have said, agree with some, disagree with others. But just wanted to mention Bullock. I really feel for this kid. He was thrown into a situation he was not prepared for.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Tulsa’s defense is hot garbage, maybe 1 player that would start on a p5 team.
this decision was made from Illingworth missing a ton of practice
I agree Sanders will continue to get hurt but he is still the better QB, and we need an athlete back there with our current OL situation
Hot garbage, you say? We'll see about that. They held Chuba under 100 yards. They held us under 20 points total. And they were dominating our linemen rushing 3 against 5. Even if it was our 2nd string, it's still indicative of their potential strength on defense at their level.

Who cares if Illingworth missed a ton of practice? Look how much better he was, even with that limited practice. How is it possible to misjudge that situation that badly? It's like Cate/Weeden all over again.

Are you saying Illingworth isn't an athlete? And how do you know Sanders is the better QB? If you're gonna play the "we don't know yet" card, then it cuts both ways. He actually *could* be the better QB. I haven't seen enough to say one way or another. All I can say is that he showed some skills yesterday that even Rudolph never had, and I'm encouraged by what I saw.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Hot garbage, you say? We'll see about that. They held Chuba under 100 yards. They held us under 20 points total. And they were dominating our linemen rushing 3 against 5. Even if it was our 2nd string, it's still indicative of their potential strength on defense at their level.

Who cares if Illingworth missed a ton of practice? Look how much better he was, even with that limited practice. How is it possible to misjudge that situation that badly? It's like Cate/Weeden all over again.

Are you saying Illingworth isn't an athlete? And how do you know Sanders is the better QB? If you're gonna play the "we don't know yet" card, then it cuts both ways. He actually *could* be the better QB. I haven't seen enough to say one way or another. All I can say is that he showed some skills yesterday that even Rudolph never had, and I'm encouraged by what I saw.
Someone said it yesterday... that Illingworth had a “Josh Fields like touch on his throws.”

That’s exactly who he reminded me of.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
ESPN claims “Pokes certainly drop in polls after that performance, but just how far ?”

maybe deserved
But any other Top 15 team escape with a win might drop a spot or not, based on past. But this is a weird season and we are often disrespected
The funny thing is that for years ESPN has talked about how bad our defense is and that's why we don't deserve to be ranked higher blah blah blah. Well here we have a dominant defensive performance and all ESPN can talk about is how bad we looked.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
[QUOTE="Rack, post: 4120999, member: 582"]I don't think people think "Sander's Sucks," I just think we have two good QB's and one is injured. We need to heal him up because we can't have only one at a time or we are in trouble when the other one gets hurt...because the other one, we saw the most of today, is not a Big 12 QB.[/QUOTE]

Shall I go back and pull up all the posts about "he's not the answer", "he's not gonna see the field again", "he should be #2 QB right now", etc. ?

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The funny thing is that for years ESPN has talked about how bad our defense is and that's why we don't deserve to be ranked higher blah blah blah. Well here we have a dominant defensive performance and all ESPN can talk about is how bad we looked.
Exactly ! Tulsa was 0-11 on 3rd down and 1-4 on 4th. That's EXCELLENT ! but didn't make the ESPN write up.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I have some thoughts.

Defense was great. Year after year, it seems I am criticizing tackling after a game, but not today. Tackling was excellent most of the game. Coverage is another thing that we seem to always have trouble with. Coverage was pretty good yesterday. I don't know what the record is for most off sides penalties by one person in a career but Bundange has got to be closing in on it. I really like our defense, but they did have some stupid penalties, need to clean that up.

Offense is, well, unknown at this point. I can't understand how a school with such a good reputation for offense can't have 3 or 4 capable QB's on the depth chart. Look at Tech, they lose QB's all the time and just plug another one in that can move their offense. Didn't get to see enough of either Sanders or Illingsworth to know much. One things for certain, if Sanders is out for any length of time, put Illingsworth in a hermetically sealed bubble.

OL is an issue, when was the last time OL was NOT the achilles heel of our offense...been at least since Wick left. Brown looked much improved from last year...nice change of pace when he got in. Chuba was pedestrian but can't really blame him...poor OL play and a 1 dimensional offense pretty much settled that. Would like to see less carries from him to keep him fresh...this year, I feel comfortable with Brown doing that. It seems pretty obvious, but throw the damn ball to Wallace DOWNFIELD more often.

Special teams were OK and with our recent history, that's great. FG kicker looked good, coverage teams looked good, Stoner seemed more comfortable on punt returns that he has before.

All in all, it was Tulsa and we don't know what kind of team they have yet. Even though everybody kind of knew who was getting the ball for 2 quarters, they still made some good tackles. We'll know more by this time next week but OL scares me and QB is VERY precarious.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Exactly ! Tulsa was 0-11 on 3rd down and 1-4 on 4th. That's EXCELLENT ! but didn't make the ESPN write up.
I am cautiously optimistic about this defense, but it is tulsa, without their best player. They did what they were supposed to against a weak opponent, we will see when we go up against sone real competition.

Nov 6, 2010
Here's how I see this game QB situation:
Gundy went with the guy with SOME college experience although it be Juco. He gave Bullock every opportunity to shine with the #1s and we all know the result of that, which was a big fat zero.

He also wanted to protect from throwing a freshman into a big, opening game and risk blowing the kid's mind with the speed of the game. But, then it came down to the ultimate question: Do you want to win this game or not?
And therefore the call was made.

It was like turning on a light switch for the team and fans alike. The energy level rose immediately as passes were going down the field and being caught by the guys that were supposed to be making great catches.
You could also see how Ill's teammates responded to him. They surrounded him, pating him on the back, shouting encouragement -- all GREAT SIGNS of great respect for his leadership.
This is a guy that can and did rally a team.

It immediately reminded me of the Cate/Weeden transition during that Colorado game that brought on a new era in OSU Cowboy football.
I said the exact thing to my friend during the game. At QB, either you have it or you don't.

Nov 6, 2010
With Springfield at LT, we'll pretty much have to keep a CB or RB in to help but if it makes it possible to run with Jenkins at RT then might be what we have to do.
Think Mason's first year as starter. Max protect and simplify the reads for the young QB with less receivers running routes. Worked pretty good that year, but I just don't see us overcoming the Oline issues enough to make this the special season we were hoping for. Maybe move Schneider back to RT and let Tyrese play center. Then just give help to the LT on every play.