Transfer Portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Cowboys entering the transfer portal since August 1st:

* Jelani Woods (Starting TE)
* Dee Anderson (WR)
* Deondrick Glass (RB)
* Trent Pullen (OL)
* Jacob Farrell (OL)
* Bryce Bray (OL)
* Carson Kropp (walk-on LB)
* MIcah Cooper (walk-on RB)
* Shaun Taylor (walk-on QB)
* Ben Freehill (walk-on K)

Hmm....

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

* Dee Anderson (WR)
* Deondrick Glass (RB)
* Trent Pullen (OL)
* Jacob Farrell (OL)
* Bryce Bray (OL)

Hmm....
Eh. Half those guys were processed or kicked off.

The only concerning ones imo are Woods and Pullen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2011

* Dee Anderson (WR)
* Deondrick Glass (RB)
* Trent Pullen (OL)
* Jacob Farrell (OL)
* Bryce Bray (OL)

Hmm....
1) Never utilized correctly, rarely capitalized when opportunities came his way, took multiple years to transition to become a better blocker. Can’t blame the kid for moving to a program (Virginia) where he thinks they will utilize his talents better.

2) Never really stuck, passed up on the depth chart by other receivers.

3) Similar to #2, came in with a lot of talent but was passed up by Richardson, Jackson and others.

4) Didn’t hear much about Pullen this year but he didn’t seem to get into the rotation of oline this year even with all our injuries and transfers so that might speak enough for me.

5) and 6) Transferred because of being dismissed for actions they chose.

7) Walk on that I thought might earn playing time because I followed his HS career but we seem to be okay with our linebackers.

8) Hard to get him carries next year with Jackson, Richardson, and Utah State transfer, and that’s not including LD who could still come back unless he’s indicated he won’t be (I haven’t seen).

9) QB is set for sure with the 2 guys we have plus the third guy on the depth chart is probably going to be the head coaches son, can’t blame him for leaving.

10) Think once Hale is back healthy we are good in the kicking department for the foreseeable future.

Not really hmm worthy to me. The only ones that sting in my opinion are the OL departures from before the season and those were disciplinary.

Oct 30, 2007
Number of players in the transfer portal by Big 12 school:
Baylor - 6
Iowa State - 6
Kansas - 20
Kansas State - 10
Oklahoma - 12
Oklahoma State - 6
TCU - 15
Texas - 9
Texas Tech - 10
West Virginia - 9

That helps to put things into perspective. I wish that Bray & Farrell didn't screw up and get dismissed from the program and that Woods would've stayed, but our attrition shouldn't hurt us that much overall.

Aug 19, 2006
1) Never utilized correctly, rarely capitalized when opportunities came his way, took multiple years to transition to become a better blocker. Can’t blame the kid for moving to a program (Virginia) where he thinks they will utilize his talents better.

2) Never really stuck, passed up on the depth chart by other receivers.

3) Similar to #2, came in with a lot of talent but was passed up by Richardson, Jackson and others.

4) Didn’t hear much about Pullen this year but he didn’t seem to get into the rotation of oline this year even with all our injuries and transfers so that might speak enough for me.

5) and 6) Transferred because of being dismissed for actions they chose.

7) Walk on that I thought might earn playing time because I followed his HS career but we seem to be okay with our linebackers.

8) Hard to get him carries next year with Jackson, Richardson, and Utah State transfer, and that’s not including LD who could still come back unless he’s indicated he won’t be (I haven’t seen).

9) QB is set for sure with the 2 guys we have plus the third guy on the depth chart is probably going to be the head coaches son, can’t blame him for leaving.

10) Think once Hale is back healthy we are good in the kicking department for the foreseeable future.

Not really hmm worthy to me. The only ones that sting in my opinion are the OL departures from before the season and those were disciplinary.
Agreed. Take away the walk-ons and dismissals, our list isn't any worse than OU's. Based on cumulative "recruiting stars", they're losing more potential impact players than we are.

Jan 14, 2006
Something interesting to me, is that when Woods went in the portal, we picked an o-lineman for his spot.

This tells me two things. One, we had Godlevske signed almost immediately. Which means our staff already had him identified just in case we had a spot open up and two, we didn't replace him with another TE. So either we really wanted Godlevske or we feel like we're ok at TE for next year.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

* Dee Anderson (WR)
* Deondrick Glass (RB)
* Trent Pullen (OL)
* Jacob Farrell (OL)
* Bryce Bray (OL)

Hmm....
Mostly good news. Except for Woods, frees up schollys for players that have a chance to contribute.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Something interesting to me, is that when Woods went in the portal, we picked an o-lineman for his spot.

This tells me two things. One, we had Godlevske signed almost immediately. Which means our staff already had him identified just in case we had a spot open up and two, we didn't replace him with another TE. So either we really wanted Godlevske or we feel like we're ok at TE for next year.
My theory is still that we asked him to convert to being an OT, and his transfer was his response. Which, if that was true, I’d totally side with the Coaching staff on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Welcome to the world of semi-pro sports. With the portal and “pay to play”, college football and basketball are a thing of the past. These portal list are only going to get larger and larger.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
The thing everyone should keep in mind though is that the sport is setup to have non senior losses each year. You are allowed to take in 25 scholarship players a year, but can only have 85 players on scholarship. So in a 4 year cycle (meaning no redshirts and no early NFL departures) you still would have to lose 15 players across that 4 years somehow, or basically 3 a year. But since a large number redshirt and not many leave early for the NFL it is even worse (especially for a team like us). Thus that number is closer to 125 possible players trying to fit into 85 spots, or in other words 10 players a year need to be removed.

So the TLDR version is we are expected and NEED to lose between about 3-8 players a year that are not seniors, or we will start having to take smaller incoming classes. Thus a lot of these portal guys are guys that have been heavily encouraged to go elsewhere.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Welcome to the world of semi-pro sports. With the portal and “pay to play”, college football and basketball are a thing of the past. These portal list are only going to get larger and larger.
UGH as much as I hate to admit it, you’re absolutely right. The college football that we all love is dead and gone. We’re talking about paying players, free agency (AKA transfer portal), bowl games have become saturated and the CFP has made them meaningless. Players opting out of not only bowl games, but regular season games as well.

Under an amateur model, I support a kid choosing where he wants to attend as this is supposed to be about students. However, this is no longer amateur. It’s not even semi-pro. There is no draft, no “salary cap” nothing to create parity and level the playing field.

Like the NBA, it’s not about becoming the best to beat the best. College football has become joining the best to destroy the rest. With PFP and Profit on I&L it’s only going increase the divide makin the rich richer.

it’s kinda disgusting.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Only true if you keep your count to scholarship players. Some of the “# in the Portal” are non-scholarships
That is why I said scholarship players. Any walk on that leaves because they can get a scholarship elsewhere, great for them. They likely won’t affect our team anyway.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
UGH as much as I hate to admit it, you’re absolutely right. The college football that we all love is dead and gone. We’re talking about paying players, free agency (AKA transfer portal), bowl games have become saturated and the CFP has made them meaningless. Players opting out of not only bowl games, but regular season games as well.

Under an amateur model, I support a kid choosing where he wants to attend as this is supposed to be about students. However, this is no longer amateur. It’s not even semi-pro. There is no draft, no “salary cap” nothing to create parity and level the playing field.

Like the NBA, it’s not about becoming the best to beat the best. College football has become joining the best to destroy the rest. With PFP and Profit on I&L it’s only going increase the divide makin the rich richer.

it’s kinda disgusting.
Wow you get it...I totally agree, but it's been sad for a long time, the big power programs get bigger and better and it's geared to keep it that way, sad, interesting that others still seem to not understand this. A level playing field is not only, NOT a thing, it's NOT even a desired thing by the powers that be in College football. Until that mindset changes we are spinning our wheels on the side of a gravel filled mountain just thankful that we aren't falling off the cliff.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Parody is not only, NOT a thing, it's NOT even a desired thing by the powers that be in College football. Until that mindset changes we are spinning our wheels on the side of a gravel filled mountain just thankful that we aren't falling off the cliff.
It hasn't really been a thing in 2 decades. There is really only 1 to 3 teams capable of winning a national championship game annually and maybe 5 to at most 10 other teams capable of routinely recruiting the kind of talent necessary to compete.

Outlier years from a solid program like OSU in 2011 seem to be getting more rare though.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It hasn't really been a thing in 2 decades. There is really only 1 to 3 teams capable of winning a national championship game annually and maybe 5 to at most 10 other teams capable of routinely recruiting the kind of talent necessary to compete.

Outlier years from a solid program like OSU in 2011 seem to be getting more rare though.
It hasn't been a thing in my lifetime and that's FAR more than 2 decades.

May 29, 2007
NE OK
Wow you get it...I totally agree, but it's been sad for a long time, the big power programs get bigger and better and it's geared to keep it that way, sad, interesting that others still seem to not understand this. Parody is not only, NOT a thing, it's NOT even a desired thing by the powers that be in College football. Until that mindset changes we are spinning our wheels on the side of a gravel filled mountain just thankful that we aren't falling off the cliff.

As an OSU fan I feel like we're pretty used to seeing a parody on the field.