Thursday/Friday night football games

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 22, 2014
Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about any of our football games this fall getting moved to non-Saturdays? It would seem that the opening game against Missouri State would be a prime target.

Jan 14, 2006
Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about any of our football games this fall getting moved to non-Saturdays? It would seem that the opening game against Missouri State would be a prime target.
I haven't heard anything but it seems like every team in our conference usually has to play one non-saturday game. Gundy likes to do it on the first game because losing a practice between games is tougher than losing one to begin the season

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I haven't heard anything but it seems like every team in our conference usually has to play one non-saturday game. Gundy likes to do it on the first game because losing a practice between games is tougher than losing one to begin the season
i would agree with the exception of a tx or ou home game. those rarely, if ever get moved to an off night.

Feb 25, 2008
per the 2012 agreement that runs through 2024-25
https://big12sports.com/news/2012/9/12/204969096

Q. When are games selected?
A. Most games are selected with either 12-day or six-day notice to the Conference. The networks each have two opportunities (four total) to select games on six days notices annually. On or before June 1, ABC/ESPN and FOX will pre-select games for the first three Saturdays; special-date games (like Thursdays), games on Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Friday. For the remaining weeks, ABC/ESPN and FOX shall select games no later than Noon CT on the 12th day preceding a Saturday telecast. ABC/ESPN and FOX have the right on four dates to make the final selection no later than Noon CT on the sixth day preceding a Saturday telecast. Generally, homecoming games will be selected at least 12 days in advance, but the Conference must consider an occasional request to use a six-day pick to select a homecoming game of significance.

Q. What about the Thursday games?
A. The Big 12 is required to make available four games per year for telecast on Thursday nights and one game on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Additional games may be requested (including Friday night games), but are not required. FOX and ESPN may opt to designate a Friday game as a replacement for a Thurssday.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
i would agree with the exception of a tx or ou home game. those rarely, if ever get moved to an off night.
i heard about the scheduling last year or so on the SportsAnimal that OU AD every year request that they play their home games on Saturday. Something about it hurts the local businesses and not fair to the fans that has to travel in on work days.

To me, it’s total BS. Every school has the same situations with their fan base. This conference caters to both OU and Texas that it makes me wanna vomit.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
i heard about the scheduling last year or so on the SportsAnimal that OU AD every year request that they play their home games on Saturday. Something about it hurts the local businesses and not fair to the fans that has to travel in on work days.

To me, it’s total BS. Every school has the same situations with their fan base. This conference caters to both OU and Texas that it makes me wanna vomit.
you can say the same for every school in the B12 with the exception of tx. austin will survive without games. ku doesn't have anyone go anyway (at least at this time). osu, isu, tt, ku, ksu, all suffer when the games are on a thursday or friday nite.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Well, the town may benefit greater from a Saturday game, but as far as oSu football is concerned, tv revenue is the cash cow -- not tickets sold at BPS. TV revenue is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.
Sorry, but that's how it is today.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Well, the town may benefit greater from a Saturday game, but as far as oSu football is concerned, tv revenue is the cash cow -- not tickets sold at BPS. TV revenue is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.
that's assuming a team makes more by moving their games to a friday or a thursday. do they?

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
These would be night games so I would favor these over these 11 am games we tend to get now. Earliest game in my opinion should be 1 or 2 pm.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I suppose if I get excessively screwed out of Saturday afternoon games in favor of Thursday and Saturday morning/evening games, we must be doing something decent on the field, so that’s a good problem to have.