Things we wanted to happen today...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
ESPN folks have been floating the 2-loss Bama in the playoff narrative basically since they lost to A&M... Leads me to believe there is a really good chance that happens.
And this is what I've said about playoff expansion-I'm for it, but it's also going to pave the way for 2-3 loss SEC/B1G teams into the playoff.

We've already seen this in the BCS era. Not a conference champ, & lost your last game? Let's have an LSU-Bama rematch for the title.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I've been doing the no shave November thing and since the last time I shaved, our defense, through 4 games, has done the following:
20 sacks
7-55 on 3rd downs
Given up only 16 total points

This includes two of the games where the starters were pulled early in the 2nd half. That's it, I can never shave again.
At least until after the national championship game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Cincinnati might get beat by Houston
Exactly.

Assuming we win out, there are really only 3 other games of significance for oSu to sneak into the CFP...

Need Ohio St to beat Michigan
Need Georgia to beat Bama in SEC CG
Probably need Houston to knock off Cinci in CG just based on how much lack of respect we've been getting on national level. Some are coming around but it may be too little too late unless Houston does us a solid. Go Holgy!

Notre Dame is idle during champ week so that helps our cause

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Yahoo Sports predicts:
1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma State
4. Cinn.

How awesome would it be to see cinn. v Cowboys for the National title?
It'd be cool but Cincinnati is living off the 0 in their record. They would likely lose to all the other top 10 teams.
The beat a current Top 10 team earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Cincinnati might get beat by Houston
Exactly.

Assuming we win out, there are really only 3 other games of significance for oSu to sneak into the CFP...

Need Ohio St to beat Michigan
Need Georgia to beat Bama in SEC CG
Probably need Houston to knock off Cinci in CG just based on how much lack of respect we've been getting on national level. Some are coming around but it may be too little too late unless Houston does us a solid. Go Holgy!

Notre Dame is idle during champ week so that helps our cause
Ohio State and Michigan doesn’t really matter to us. We’d probably slightly prefer a Michigan win even though that seems unlikely. Either way one of those teams gets knocked out with a 2nd loss and the other plays Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game. I don’t think Michigan is as good so I’d rather they beat Ohio State and then lose to Wisconsin. Then the Big 10 can take their rightful place outside the playoff.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Ohio State and Michigan doesn’t really matter to us. We’d probably slightly prefer a Michigan win even though that seems unlikely. Either way one of those teams gets knocked out with a 2nd loss and the other plays Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game. I don’t think Michigan is as good so I’d rather they beat Ohio State and then lose to Wisconsin. Then the Big 10 can take their rightful place outside the playoff.

Ohio State vs Michigan doesn’t matter? First of all, Ohio State will probably be ranked number 2. Second of all, if Michigan beats Ohio State, they aren’t falling very far. Michigan with 2 losses would fall much further than Ohio State would. The CFPC is pushing hard for at least 1 SEC and 1 BIG10. Some weird stuff is going to need to happen for the Pokes to make the invitational tournament. Wrong decal, like it or not.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Ohio State vs Michigan doesn’t matter? First of all, Ohio State will probably be ranked number 2. Second of all, if Michigan beats Ohio State, they aren’t falling very far. Michigan with 2 losses would fall much further than Ohio State would. The CFPC is pushing hard for at least 1 SEC and 1 BIG10. Some weird stuff is going to need to happen for the Pokes to make the invitational tournament. Wrong decal, like it or not.
I know people are scared this will happen but a 2 loss non-conference champion Ohio State or Alabama is not getting in. It hasn’t happened in any year that they college football playoff has existed. In fact, no 2 loss team has ever made it period.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I've been doing the no shave November thing and since the last time I shaved, our defense, through 4 games, has done the following:
20 sacks
7-55 on 3rd downs
Given up only 16 total points

This includes two of the games where the starters were pulled early in the 2nd half. That's it, I can never shave again.
I've been saving my sarcasm/negative Nancy mojo for 3 games. Ready to go Saturday if things start looking grim.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I know people are scared this will happen but a 2 loss non-conference champion Ohio State or Alabama is not getting in. It hasn’t happened in any year that they college football playoff has existed. In fact, no 2 loss team has ever made it period.

BECAUSE it’s never had to be considered :thumbdown:

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

BECAUSE it’s never had to be considered :thumbdown:
In 2016-17, Penn State and Oklahoma both missed out as 2-loss conference champions.

In 2017-18, Ohio State and USC both missed out on the playoff as a 2-loss conference champion. Ohio State beat 12-0 Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game and both missed the playoff. Alabama made it as a 4 seed with 1 loss but not 2.

In 2018-19, 1 loss Ohio State got left out even with a conference title. But, there were 3 undefeated teams that year and 1 loss conference champion OU to be ranked in front of them.

This shows evidence that a 2 loss team will never make it as long as there are enough 1 loss conference champions to fill out the playoff.

And that a 1 loss conference champion has only been left out twice. Once was when Baylor and TCU split the Big 12 title and didn’t play in a conference title game which would have boosted the winner into the playoff. They were left out in favor of other undefeated or 1 loss conference champions. The second team was Ohio State in that 2018-19 season.

That means you are in as a 1 loss conference champion in the Power 5 unless there are unusual circumstances to keep you out. We don’t have either of those scenarios this year. As long as we win out and Georgia beats Bama, we are in.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas

The national media and CFP committee lovefest for all things SEC and B1G (especially Ohio St) suggests otherwise. You can pretty much take it to the bank that this is a race for 2 CFP spots as the B1G and SEC already have at least 2 spots locked up. They're already floating the idea that a 2 loss Bama (or tOSU for that matter)may be more 'worthy'.

So, yeah...OSU v Mich matters. We need Ohio St to win.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

The national media and CFP committee lovefest for all things SEC and B1G (especially Ohio St) suggests otherwise. You can pretty much take it to the bank that this is a race for 2 CFP spots as the B1G and SEC already have at least 2 spots locked up. They're already floating the idea that a 2 loss Bama (or tOSU for that matter)may be more 'worthy'.

So, yeah...OSU v Mich matters. We need Ohio St to win.
No, see post above. This has happened pretty much every year and a 2 loss team has never made it period.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
If you really want to see evidence that the "playoff" is a joke, let them put 2-loss bama in over no-loss Cinci.

You should really be expecting bama to beat Georgia by 3, so they both get in as the 1 and 2 seeds. Then, Michigan and Ohio State both get in because B1G, and that's that.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
No, see post above. This has happened pretty much every year and a 2 loss team has never made it period.

Just like in 2011 when no one thought a team that didn't win it's conference, let alone it's division would be ahead of oSu, right?

I don't care what the past says about 2 loss teams. Listen to this year's media pundits and watch the CFP committee votes. It's setting up for another disappointment.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
In 2016-17, Penn State and Oklahoma both missed out as 2-loss conference champions.

In 2017-18, Ohio State and USC both missed out on the playoff as a 2-loss conference champion. Ohio State beat 12-0 Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game and both missed the playoff. Alabama made it as a 4 seed with 1 loss but not 2.

In 2018-19, 1 loss Ohio State got left out even with a conference title. But, there were 3 undefeated teams that year and 1 loss conference champion OU to be ranked in front of them.

This shows evidence that a 2 loss team will never make it as long as there are enough 1 loss conference champions to fill out the playoff.

And that a 1 loss conference champion has only been left out twice. Once was when Baylor and TCU split the Big 12 title and didn’t play in a conference title game which would have boosted the winner into the playoff. They were left out in favor of other undefeated or 1 loss conference champions. The second team was Ohio State in that 2018-19 season.

That means you are in as a 1 loss conference champion in the Power 5 unless there are unusual circumstances to keep you out. We don’t have either of those scenarios this year. As long as we win out and Georgia beats Bama, we are in.

You sir/ma’am are delirious.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

You sir/ma’am are delirious.
Hopefully we’ll find out. That means we win our next 2 games.