The Universe

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Geisler debated a lot of atheists, so his style is a bit argumentative for me. The book we read is this one. It’s an apologetics book that spends roughly half of the book arguing intelligent design.

I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0029RJ7D8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_S0FPJ9Y7J7Z5V31Q4JPJ
Being an atheist is just as difficult for me to believe as to believe man has figured out the correct religion. Maybe even harder to believe.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Being an atheist is just as difficult for me to believe as to believe man has figured out the correct religion. Maybe even harder to believe.
I’m not a fundamentalist myself. I cringed at moments while reading the book. But he also makes some good points. While I have a hard time with ardent atheism, I totally get how someone could be agnostic.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I’m not a fundamentalist myself. I cringed at moments while reading the book. But he also makes some good points. While I have a hard time with ardent atheism, I totally get how someone could be agnostic.
Definitely. Over time, I’ve noticed the great religions, are most likely closer to the truth than we can know. I’m not prepared to call any of them crazy anymore.

I find it difficult that a creator would ignite this universe and then judge you. I don’t do that on simulators or simulations I’ve ever played. I’ve watched. I’ve wondered. I’ve gotten mad at the little fellows and smite them and I’ve also gotten happy with them and gave them prosperity. But in the end, I get bored and moved on. There’s the difference I reckon. Obviously, Mother Nature ( My best word for God presently ) is still around. Agnostic isn’t my word though I completely understand.

Is there a word for believing in a God but just no idea on how, who, what, when or where?
I came across theothanatist, the belief there was once a God, but now it’s gone. But that’s not quite right either.

I guess I’ll call it llcoolism, belief in a creator due to the existing world.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Definitely. Over time, I’ve noticed the great religions, are most likely closer to the truth than we can know. I’m not prepared to call any of them crazy anymore.

I find it difficult that a creator would ignite this universe and then judge you. I don’t do that on simulators or simulations I’ve ever played. I’ve watched. I’ve wondered. I’ve gotten mad at the little fellows and smite them and I’ve also gotten happy with them and gave them prosperity. But in the end, I get bored and moved on. There’s the difference I reckon. Obviously, Mother Nature ( My best word for God presently ) is still around. Agnostic isn’t my word though I completely understand.

Is there a word for believing in a God but just no idea on how, who, what, when or where?
I came across theothanatist, the belief there was once a God, but now it’s gone. But that’s not quite right either.

I guess I’ll call it llcoolism, belief in a creator due to the existing world.
I'm in almost the same boat. If people want to believe in a creator that started the universe that's fine. But all signs point to natural processes since that point.

I don't think there is a word for what your trying to describe. I don't know if it's atheist or agnostic or whatever, but Ricky Gervais has a great bit that we don't have words for things like this and it's only because religions have been in power for so long that we even think about it that way. We don't have words for things that aren't. You're not an aclausian if you don't believe in Santa, abunnian if you don't think the Easter bunny is real. Yet you are branded as an atheist if you don't believe in God(s) and you get all the baggage that comes with the word.

Religious Person: There is a god.
Me: Can you prove that?
Religious Person: No, but I have faith.
Me: Then I don't believe you.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Deism. Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin are two examples of deists.
I’ll take that as a great compliment.
I'm in almost the same boat. If people want to believe in a creator that started the universe that's fine. But all signs point to natural processes since that point.

I don't think there is a word for what your trying to describe. I don't know if it's atheist or agnostic or whatever, but Ricky Gervais has a great bit that we don't have words for things like this and it's only because religions have been in power for so long that we even think about it that way. We don't have words for things that aren't. You're not an aclausian if you don't believe in Santa, abunnian if you don't think the Easter bunny is real. Yet you are branded as an atheist if you don't believe in God(s) and you get all the baggage that comes with the word.

Religious Person: There is a god.
Me: Can you prove that?
Religious Person: No, but I have faith.
Me: Then I don't believe you.
Are you familiar with all of the different views on how we create our own reality? Like in physics on light, sound, taste, smell and touch are all perceived as stimuli and chemically introduced to our brains. The actual light, sound, taste, smell and touch never actually reach the brain. As well as Eastern dogma through various beliefs that our thoughts create our world.

If there’s even a remote possibility that’s true, could we extrapolate that to how we create our own deaths? In other words, could our inner thoughts make our world and our after world? Each of us being correct after death?

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Are you familiar with all of the different views on how we create our own reality? Like in physics on light, sound, taste, smell and touch are all perceived as stimuli and chemically introduced to our brains. The actual light, sound, taste, smell and touch never actually reach the brain. As well as Eastern dogma through various beliefs that our thoughts create our world.

If there’s even a remote possibility that’s true, could we extrapolate that to how we create our own deaths? In other words, could our inner thoughts make our world and our after world? Each of us being correct after death?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I’ll take that as a great compliment.

Cmon. Prove it wrong :p
Do you have faith in that?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Do you have faith in that?
First person to ask me in all this time.

Firstly, Methodist. It was taught to me from birth.

Secondly, I was saved.

Thirdly, I had a serious NDE. And that experience showed me that what I was taught, wasn’t even close.

By this time, I’m in my early 20’s. The greatest way to solve this life changing scenario was to use The Scientific Method. I mean, Jesus said not to test him.

So I did. My hypothesis is obvious but any experiment will be subjective to the designer. So my results are just that and for myself only. I will say, the test was confirmed, at least for myself, that he was part of my existence. So you could say in that light, I’m Christian.

I use him as the target of my intents and gratitude but since I really don’t know his boss so well, he’s as far as I go. But it’s just me. No church. No congregation. No dogma.

So do I have faith that we create our reality? Yes

Do I have faith that the we create our next reality? No idea. Just thought it up for the first time today. But if I can make the first assumption, and I did, why not? Maybe you’re all correct in your beliefs.

And if we really are going to get stoned on this, then take it one more step. It’s better to believe in something next than to believe in nothing is next.

May 31, 2007
Concord
This is a really fun conversation. I’ve never really known what to think. I’m generally a skeptic and have a distrust of the establishment. So I have a hard time taking things through pure faith. But I want to believe there is “something” next, even if I’m skeptical of the mainstream religions out there.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
This is a really fun conversation. I’ve never really known what to think. I’m generally a skeptic and have a distrust of the establishment. So I have a hard time taking things through pure faith. But I want to believe there is “something” next, even if I’m skeptical of the mainstream religions out there.
Have you known someone whose had a NDE?

I had one before I ever heard of one. Just thought it was my own special secret. 20 years later when it started being investigated seriously, I finally found out. Completely blown away that not only was my experience in the classic sense of the average variety but the traits and phenomena have been known and written about since the Pharos.

May 31, 2007
Concord
Have you known someone whose had a NDE?

I had one before I ever heard of one. Just thought it was my own special secret. 20 years later when it started being investigated seriously, I finally found out. Completely blown away that not only was my experience in the classic sense of the average variety but the traits and phenomena have been known and written about since the Pharos.
No I don’t know anyone that experienced a NDE. I would be very interested to hear in-depth about something like that. I’ve seen people tell their stories on tv and have always found them compelling & fascinating. That is definitely something that makes me think.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
First person to ask me in all this time.

Firstly, Methodist. It was taught to me from birth.

Secondly, I was saved.

Thirdly, I had a serious NDE. And that experience showed me that what I was taught, wasn’t even close.

By this time, I’m in my early 20’s. The greatest way to solve this life changing scenario was to use The Scientific Method. I mean, Jesus said not to test him.

So I did. My hypothesis is obvious but any experiment will be subjective to the designer. So my results are just that and for myself only. I will say, the test was confirmed, at least for myself, that he was part of my existence. So you could say in that light, I’m Christian.

I use him as the target of my intents and gratitude but since I really don’t know his boss so well, he’s as far as I go. But it’s just me. No church. No congregation. No dogma.

So do I have faith that we create our reality? Yes

Do I have faith that the we create our next reality? No idea. Just thought it up for the first time today. But if I can make the first assumption, and I did, why not? Maybe you’re all correct in your beliefs.

And if we really are going to get stoned on this, then take it one more step. It’s better to believe in something next than to believe in nothing is next.
This is the easiest way for me to explain my faith to someone

https://youtu.be/a_-BOvWVycM