The Universe

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Assuming lots of us were from around the time of moon landings and shuttle launches. I do hope today’s new generations have a love affair with exploration like we did. For 40 years now, I still go outside for my late night pee just to look up.
Hahaha. Aww, man, am I hanging out with a bunch of old dudes!? Am I a nerd?!
Yup. I hate that I live in town again and can't really see the Milk Way, but I still love to go out and look at the moon/stars. I was 2 weeks short of 12 yrs old when Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon. Watched it on a 19" black and white TV in a bowling alley where my parents were bowling in their Sunday night mixed league.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Here is an image taken by NASA's Mars rover Curiosity a few days ago. Zoom just left of the upper center of the image and explain this:

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/229311
What are we supposed to be seeing here? $100 bucks says that supposed opening, or whatever you want to call it, is smaller than my laptop screen. You gotta be careful when it comes to scale with all images taken via a rover. The scale of almost every single picture a rover takes is going to be muuuiuuch smaller than it appears.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
What are we supposed to be seeing here? $100 bucks says that supposed opening, or whatever you want to call it, is smaller than my laptop screen. You gotta be careful when it comes to scale with all images taken via a rover. The scale of almost every single picture a rover takes is going to be muuuiuuch smaller than it appears.
Looks like some sort of doorway.

Either way, that giga image is really cool to scroll around and zoom in on.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Here is an image taken by NASA's Mars rover Curiosity a few days ago. Zoom just left of the upper center of the image and explain this:

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/229311
Looks like some sort of doorway.

Either way, that giga image is really cool to scroll around and zoom in on.

Oct 29, 2016
US
"The team's scientists underlined just how small it is", they said, about 30 centimetres by 45 centimetres."

Roughly 11 inches. As sad as it is, we're never gonna find evidence of other intelligent beings anywhere near us, especially in our solar system. That should be self-evident. Heck, some would say that there isn't even intelligence on earth. Just go read the Roe v Wade thread as evidence.

https://news.sky.com/story/nasa-pic...-into-the-rock-heres-how-it-was-made-12611936

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
"The team's scientists underlined just how small it is", they said, about 30 centimetres by 45 centimetres."

Roughly 11 inches. As sad as it is, we're never gonna find evidence of other intelligent beings anywhere near us, especially in our solar system. That should be self-evident. Heck, some would say that there isn't even intelligence on earth. Just go read the Roe v Wade thread as evidence.

https://news.sky.com/story/nasa-pic...-into-the-rock-heres-how-it-was-made-12611936
not all aliens need 6 foot doors...

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

This video is informational when trying to understand why the things we observe in the universe are in the past. The universe is so vast that it takes millions of years to get light from other galaxies.
Here's a little perspective that helps me. When you hear something is "only 4 light years away" and many things discovered out there are thousands or millions of light years away. One of the earliest probes fired off by NASA, racing directly away from earth at just about as fast as anything we've ever invented, since it's launch in the 70's, recently passed 1 light DAY from earth.