The Universe

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I dunno if anybody else here remembers the announcement of this mission. Or any other. Then somehow twenty years are gone and it’s happening. Looking forward to the discoveries.
I'm very excited. I'm still a little mad the original budget was fiction and NASA knew damn well it was when they wrote it, like a kids book for story time. We're here now, and I'm ready to see the pics of aliens waving at us from purple beaches as soon as it gets up and running.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I'm very excited. I'm still a little mad the original budget was fiction and NASA knew damn well it was when they wrote it, like a kids book for story time. We're here now, and I'm ready to see the pics of aliens waving at us from purple beaches as soon as it gets up and running.
I’m hoping for more than a “dimming” or “wobble” of a star to show us our first planet outside the solar system. Huge hope I know, and it won’t look like a planet in the pic but perhaps a dimmer light than it’s parent star. Not just in infrared.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I’m hoping for more than a “dimming” or “wobble” of a star to show us our first planet outside the solar system. Huge hope I know, and it won’t look like a planet in the pic but perhaps a dimmer light than it’s parent star. Not just in infrared.
The thing to remember is, if the day comes that we find pretty good evidence of alien life it won't likely be a, blow up the internet, headlines thing. It will start as a "we're interested in what we see here". Then turn into a protracted debate if it's really signs of life. Hopefully, eventually, turning into a consensus.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The thing to remember is, if the day comes that we find pretty good evidence of alien life it won't likely be a, blow up the internet, headlines thing. It will start as a "we're interested in what we see here". Then turn into a protracted debate if it's really signs of life. Hopefully, eventually, turning into a consensus.
Imagine the battle on wether to tell the public

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The idea that they would hide it from the public angers me, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit. If they did hide it the news that slowly leaked out would be combined with the ongoing debate if it's even really a thing.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, it definitely was a fiction on the budget side. But to be completely fair, they had to literally invent some of the methods of deployment for this project. No one had any real knowledge of how hard this would be. And dang, it was a beast to create.

My respect to all the people that worked on this.

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Assuming lots of us were from around the time of moon landings and shuttle launches. I do hope today’s new generations have a love affair with exploration like we did. For 40 years now, I still go outside for my late night pee just to look up.
Hahaha. Aww, man, am I hanging out with a bunch of old dudes!? Am I a nerd?!

Oct 29, 2016
US
Most human beings care very little - heck, nothing - about life on earth. Life on earth, is experiencing its most rapid extinction of life directly caused by human activity. The previous known five mass extinctions took millions of years each epoch.. we humans have made extinct more species of life in just a few hundred years, on a level that not even natural extinction could achieve. Not even close. It's sad.

I doubt 99.9% of humans would even register an emotion should discovery of alien life occur.