The Universe

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
That's amazing that they made that in 1977. It's so hard to fathom how large the Milk Way galaxy is much less the universe.

Also, note the video states that at the limit of our vision there was only vast emptiness and our galaxy is the exception. We know now that is not close to being the case with billions and billions of other galaxies.
They mentioned on the negative tens scale, the quarks. Back then, just an hypotheses. Good friend from high school ( invented robotic arms in 8th grade for radiation containment ) now has his own lab at Stanford that only works in quarks.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Great time to be alive to see these things discovered. The part that blows me away to this day is that our world view is almost exactly half way between the quantum level and the galaxy level.
I think about this ALL THE TIME. Like, is that an observer bias? It's ripe for it. But for all we can tell on the low end is as far as it's possible to go. The large end is still unknown. But we are almost dead center.

There's a second mystery that keeps me wondering about reality and it's the ratio of dark energy and dark matter - we're pretty sure this ratio changes over billions of years, but we just so happen to be living in a time when they are incredibly balanced unlike the early universe and later universe. And not only that, but it gives us a pretty good idea on what the early universe was like. This will be impossible to do after several billion more years, but we seem to be in this incredibly special niche of spacetimes history. Again, ripe for observer bias.

We seem to be, for whatever reason, right in this bizarre sweet spot of space and time.

Last edited:

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

China's moon rover spotted a mysterious cube-shaped object and the internet is intrigued

For the past two years, China's Yutu 2 rover has been roaming across the Von Karman crater on the far side of the moon, but on its journey, it spotted a mysterious cube-shaped object.

According to Space.com, the China National Space Administration keeps a log of each of the rover's lunar days, which is around 29 Earth days, according to NASA. On its 36th lunar day, the rover spotted a cube-shaped object on the horizon around 260 feet away. Andrew Jones, a Space.com reporter tracking China's space endeavors, said officials called it a "mystery house."

While there is no actual answer for what the cube is, it probably isn't something that is going to destroy Earth. Jones said the most likely explanation is it's actually a large boulder that appeared due to an impact event.

However, China officials are intrigued by the object, and Yutu 2 will be traversing through the region and avoiding craters to get closer to it. It will take the rover about 2-3 lunar days, or up to three months, to approach the object. Still some are hoping for complete chaos.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

China's moon rover spotted a mysterious cube-shaped object and the internet is intrigued

For the past two years, China's Yutu 2 rover has been roaming across the Von Karman crater on the far side of the moon, but on its journey, it spotted a mysterious cube-shaped object.

According to Space.com, the China National Space Administration keeps a log of each of the rover's lunar days, which is around 29 Earth days, according to NASA. On its 36th lunar day, the rover spotted a cube-shaped object on the horizon around 260 feet away. Andrew Jones, a Space.com reporter tracking China's space endeavors, said officials called it a "mystery house."

While there is no actual answer for what the cube is, it probably isn't something that is going to destroy Earth. Jones said the most likely explanation is it's actually a large boulder that appeared due to an impact event.

However, China officials are intrigued by the object, and Yutu 2 will be traversing through the region and avoiding craters to get closer to it. It will take the rover about 2-3 lunar days, or up to three months, to approach the object. Still some are hoping for complete chaos.
China

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1473876015969718272?s=21
Been waiting for this for years. I check on the status every morning - I'm so nervous! People don't understand what a big deal this is. It's like the mRNA vaccine - that shit is star trek level tech that could cure freaking cancer, but no one seems to be particularly excited about it. The JWST could literally tell us if there's industrialized life elsewhere in the galaxy. You could actually send this meme and be correct:

1640275124252.png

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW

We know what this is. I'm preparing for the Decepticon invasion.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Been waiting for this for years. I check on the status every morning - I'm so nervous! People don't understand what a big deal this is. It's like the mRNA vaccine - that shit is star trek level tech that could cure freaking cancer, but no one seems to be particularly excited about it. The JWST could literally tell us if there's industrialized life elsewhere in the galaxy. You could actually send this meme and be correct:
I'm with you. I've checked on it more times than I want to admit. I'm disgusted the original timeline and budget were fiction.

Maybe there are not enough space nerds like me but this thing would make a good movie just up to the point it launched. The behind the scenes fighting in Congress over funding, the infighting in NASA over the numerous set backs, the concerns over pirates actually stealing it on the way there, and the social justice warriors going after the name. Lots of good stuff before it even launches.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I think about this ALL THE TIME. Like, is that an observer bias? It's ripe for it. But for all we can tell on the low end is as far as it's possible to go. The large end is still unknown. But we are almost dead center.

There's a second mystery that keeps me wondering about reality and it's the ratio of dark energy and dark matter - we're pretty sure this ratio changes over billions of years, but we just so happen to be living in a time when they are incredibly balanced unlike the early universe and later universe. And not only that, but it gives us a pretty good idea on what the early universe was like. This will be impossible to do after several billion more years, but we seem to be in this incredibly special niche of spacetimes history. Again, ripe for observer bias.

We seem to be, for whatever reason, right in this bizarre sweet spot of space and time.
Because that's where the illusion of matter exists. And so it's no coincidence that we find ourselves at a level which allows just a thing to occur.
Speaking of sweet spots.
https://www.orangepower.com/threads/axis-of-evil.279918/

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Woke up at 5 to watch on Christmas Day, wasn't disappointed, but MAN I was stressed. Can't imagine how the people who actually worked on it must feel. Fingers crossed for the remainder of the trip to L2 and all deployments going smoothly!

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
So crazy that it was able to go through all the deployment steps. Now it's just one last burn, and individual mirror alignments.

The stuff this satellite is going to tell us will break our brains. To be completely honest, I'm a little scared of what it will find. Especially regarding the early universe questions we have.