The Social Dilemma (documentary)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Who's watched this, and what are your thoughts? I'd like to think I'm fairly "woke" when it comes to the subject, but I found the documentary extremely revealing. I was aware of the basics, but the depth of the problems is far more extensive than I understood.

Which leads to the natural question: How do we fix it?
Or maybe a better question: Can we fix it?

Thoughts?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Haven’t seen. Is it worth the time for a subject I already despise?
I think so, yes. I also despise social media, and recently stopped using it regularly, but I found this documentary extremely helpful in understanding how/why it works the way that it does and also why it's changed people's behavior. A lot of it could be obvious to people on the outside looking in, but it's still worth hearing the warnings of the people who actually designed the system.

I also found it massively helpful as a new parent trying to understand how to navigate the topic with kids that will soon be surrounded by it.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I’m terrified of my kids and social media when they get older. Luckily my oldest is only 8, so hopefully things will change before he gets old enough to get sucked in. Sadly, one of his main forms of entertainment is YouTube and has asked about other social media accounts which we won’t allow.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I’m terrified of my kids and social media when they get older. Luckily my oldest is only 8, so hopefully things will change before he gets old enough to get sucked in. Sadly, one of his main forms of entertainment is YouTube and has asked about other social media accounts which we won’t allow.
Have you watched the documentary yet? If not, you should. It gives some great information and recommended guidelines from experts.