The Rudolph Saga … What Happens Next?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I don't understand it from the salary angle either. They would save 3M if they shipped him and he is going to be an unrestricted free agent next year, so there is no benefit to having him as the 3rd QB.

Unless they really don't like Trubisky and that is why they are holding on to Mason. I don't understand how Trubisky is the starter, except for all the money they spent on him. 8M base for 2023

Edit: Trubisky - 5.25M signing bonus OUCH
The Cap hit for Mason this year if he's on the roster is actually MORE than Trubisky. Not as much of dead cap with the signing bonus but still....

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.05.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.05.57 AM.png

Sep 22, 2010
Allen, TX
Pittsburgh fans: "Mason Rudolph is the worst player ever. Cut him."

I'm expecting a good ol' train wreck in Pittsburgh this year and it couldn't happen to a better group of fans.
This. The most delusional fan base next to Texas A&M. They think that because they support a team that 's won 6 Super Bowls that they know football better than anyone else. They forgot that they almost ran Bradshaw out of town before he had success.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I don't understand the idea of keeping a 3rd string QB on the active roster. If you reach all the way back to a 3rd string IMO your season is over anyways. You can always pick up a serviceable 3rd string level guy for less than what Rudolph is making.

Now I do believe MR should be starting for the Steelers this year and Trubisky should be cut/traded but maybe that's personal bias. I just don't see them keeping 3 QBs when they could hold onto and or grab another piece that can more likely see playing time.
I think everybody keeps at least 3 qbs. You can suit up the 3rd guy as your emergency qb and he doesn't count against your game roster. However, if he goes in the 1st two cannot return to the game.*

* This is how I remember it. Your results may vary.

Sep 22, 2010
Allen, TX
No solid rumors or anything but Dallas just released Cooper Rush and have only 1 QB on the roster currently so maybe they can trade for him?!? C'mon down to Dallas MR!!
I, personally, would love this. Jerruh seems to value OSU players and brought in Weeden. But, Dallas fans and media were absolutely assholes to Weeden. Thus, I fear they would be just as hard on Mason.

Nov 6, 2010
No solid rumors or anything but Dallas just released Cooper Rush and have only 1 QB on the roster currently so maybe they can trade for him?!? C'mon down to Dallas MR!!
There are some weird QB situations in the NFL this preseason with the Baker Mayfield/Sam Darnold situation, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, now Dallas. Seems pretty obvious there are going to be a lot of moves in the next week or two.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I believe his contract was guaranteed so he could not or his contract could not be cut as part of the 53-man-roster limit for today. They only option for the Steelers is to trade him but they are asking too much for him.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think everybody keeps at least 3 qbs. You can suit up the 3rd guy as your emergency qb and he doesn't count against your game roster. However, if he goes in the 1st two cannot return to the game.*

* This is how I remember it. Your results may vary.
Yeah most teams carry 3 QBs. Think of it this way. If you’re starter goes down, you’re one hit away from having no one to field the position.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I, personally, would love this. Jerruh seems to value OSU players and brought in Weeden. But, Dallas fans and media were absolutely assholes to Weeden. Thus, I fear they would be just as hard on Mason.
It's the NFL. You either produce or you don't. Produce and the fans will love you.

Pittsburgh winning all of those Super Bowls does make them a tad different than A&M.

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Love this quote from a writer describing the mentality of Steelers fans and why they want Mason traded.

"Or, maybe you’re just scared of Rudolph. Maybe you perceive him as a threat to eventually work his way up the depth chart in 2022 and prove to be better than both Trubisky and Pickett. The more I think about it, the more I think that’s what’s going on here."

Mason Rudolph is a threat, that’s why Steelers fans wanted him traded - Behind the Steel Curtain
Yep. They’re afraid of being wrong.

Sep 22, 2010
Allen, TX
Love this quote from a writer describing the mentality of Steelers fans and why they want Mason traded.

"Or, maybe you’re just scared of Rudolph. Maybe you perceive him as a threat to eventually work his way up the depth chart in 2022 and prove to be better than both Trubisky and Pickett. The more I think about it, the more I think that’s what’s going on here."

Mason Rudolph is a threat, that’s why Steelers fans wanted him traded - Behind the Steel Curtain
I have even wondered if they are pissed that Rudolph kicked Pitt's ass - twice.