The Rudolph Saga … What Happens Next?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Pickett just signed a four-year guaranteed 14 million per year with a 7 million signing bonus with a one-year extension option. The Steeler just signed a defensive player that attacked Mason two- years ago.Turbisky has a two-year contract. Rudolph has a one-year contract.

James Washington traded to Dallas. Football season starts in two-months so what happens to Rudolph? Is he all washed up and will be out of the league or just waived and never seen again? Was he over rated and merely a system QB and the real talent was his receivers at OSU?

One prediction is he goes to Tampa Bay as back up to Tom Brady for two-years or when Tom retires. I would jump on this option as no shame in being a back up in NFL.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022
Moore
I'd love to see Mason get a real shot. He may be a system qb in some sense, and yes he had great receivers, but he was good, tough also. Even thou, I'm not a Brady fan, like you said, sitting on the bench as a backup, well your still getting a check. I hope he gets traded, and more so, to team that will work with him, and be a great fit for.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
He has a 5 million one-year contract now. Can he request a trade or is he stuck with the Stealers? Possible trade options are Lions, Seahawks, Bucs, and Cowboys. Steelers really seem to be harming him having any NFL future unless they trade him.

Dec 7, 2006
He has a 5 million one-year contract now. Can he request a trade or is he stuck with the Stealers? Possible trade options are Lions, Seahawks, Bucs, and Cowboys. Steelers really seem to be harming him having any NFL future unless they trade him.
He harmed his own NFL future. He got beat out by a guy named Duck when he had his shot, and the Steelers decided he was nothing more than a backup and drafted/traded over him. I highly doubt any front office views him as a starter now or they would have already traded for him. Nothing wrong with being where he is on the depth chart. He's still getting paid.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
He harmed his own NFL future. He got beat out by a guy named Duck when he had his shot, and the Steelers decided he was nothing more than a backup and drafted/traded over him. I highly doubt any front office views him as a starter now or they would have already traded for him. Nothing wrong with being where he is on the depth chart. He's still getting paid.
Could be worse, could be in Cleveland.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Time and history changes as Corndog was a career backup and now he is a starter and Rudolph a third stringer… Is that Poetic Justice or Instant Karma?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Here's an interesting article speculating on potential teams for Mason.
4 Potential Trade Destinations For Vilified Quarterback Mason Rudolph - SteelerNation.com

I think that whole incident with the lost helmet and fighting with the Cleveland Browns seriously damaged Mason's image and prospects with the Steelers. He would benefit with some new scenery. The situation looked so good at the start with Rudolph and Washington connection, then went to the dogs.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I don't remember Corndog getting any injustice at OSU. Why would it be karma or justice?
Corndog waited patiently as a backup to Rudolph for three years and started for one-year at OSU. Rudolph in return has been a backup for three-years and he could now be a starter if traded or should he continue to wait for Pittsburgh Steelers. Corndog was a walk on and Rudolph was a third round pick.

Now in pros, Corndog starts for the Edmonton Elks and Rudolph is a back up for the Pittsburgh Steelers. This would be poetic justice for Corndog proving good things come to those who are patient and wait. Most college players would have transferred but Corndog was rewarded by Gundy and started his senior year.

On the other hand, Rudolph has waited patiently for three-years but Tomlin is not rewarding him as he drafted a qb in first round and brought in other qb for two-year contract and only gave Rudolph a one-year contract.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Carolina Panthers would be the best option as he would probably win the starting job and get the monkey off his back from Pittsburg mess. Steelers want a fifth round pick to trade Rudolph but now with signing Pickett to long term deal they may have salary cap issues. They are waiting and it may be post training camp or when a QB goes down during the season.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
I don’t know if Rudolph ever had what it takes to be an NFL starter, but he was not given a fair shake at Pittsburgh. He was brought in as a development project and they never developed him. Ben hated him the offensive coordinator was Bens choice and literally sabotaged MR when he had to step in in his second season. Then he got concussed and his shoulders hurt. Also was playing behind an OL that a HOF QB couldn’t do well with. I’m not saying Rudolph is good but the Steelers killed his career before it even started. He wasn’t the first QB with potential to be ruined by the team they are drafted to and won’t be the last. Just hope he did some good financial planning to make the money he did make last

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
mason Rudolph is a career backup IMO, and there’s nothing wrong with that. He did have a chance to prove himself and he showed the speed was too much for him. Offense struggled to move the ball with him at helm and All he could do is hit his check down receiver as he struggled to read defenses. Hopefully he gets another shot but being a career backup for 10+ years isn’t a bad gig…just ask chase Daniels

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
4 Potential Trade Destinations For Vilified Quarterback Mason Rudolph - SteelerNation.com

I think that whole incident with the lost helmet and fighting with the Cleveland Browns seriously damaged Mason's image and prospects with the Steelers. He would benefit with some new scenery. The situation looked so good at the start with Rudolph and Washington connection, then went to the dogs.
Can't wrap my head around that scenario. MR did nothing to make himself look bad in that incident. I think his biggest problem is the Steelers changed their offense as Big Ben's arm strength dropped off. MR would have had a better chance if the deep threat was a bigger part of their offense. I also agree that MR could have done better with the chances he did get. Same story with James Washington.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

What has “damaged” Mason in the eyes of the Steelers is plain and simple, his on field performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Can't wrap my head around that scenario. MR did nothing to make himself look bad in that incident. I think his biggest problem is the Steelers changed their offense as Big Ben's arm strength dropped off. MR would have had a better chance if the deep threat was a bigger part of their offense. I also agree that MR could have done better with the chances he did get. Same story with James Washington.
1656261225560.png

Rudolph was not just a completely innocent bystander. QB's are supposed to stay out of these kind of frays and keep their cool. Rudolph didn't. I've read comments from Steeler observers in the press saying this incident was a negative.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don’t know if Rudolph ever had what it takes to be an NFL starter, but he was not given a fair shake at Pittsburgh. He was brought in as a development project and they never developed him. Ben hated him the offensive coordinator was Bens choice and literally sabotaged MR when he had to step in in his second season. Then he got concussed and his shoulders hurt. Also was playing behind an OL that a HOF QB couldn’t do well with. I’m not saying Rudolph is good but the Steelers killed his career before it even started. He wasn’t the first QB with potential to be ruined by the team they are drafted to and won’t be the last. Just hope he did some good financial planning to make the money he did make last
Oh stop with this nonsense, he had a shot & he checked the ball down as much as Bridgewater.