The Real Bedlam (Wrestling)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
The Original Bedlam hits Norman Sunday at 5:00 on ESPNU.

For all the smack talking OU does about the historical record in football, our record against them in wrestling (145–27–10) is more impressive, especially when you consider that they are a top 5 historical program. They have 7 national championships, and the wrestling version of the "Heisman" is somehow named after an OU wrestler. They should care more about wrestling.

In any event, OU has not beaten OSU in wrestling in the last 13 tries (an inexplicable16-15 loss in 2013) and they don't look to be in line for a win Sunday either. Several of their top guys are banged up and I am not sure who is going Sunday, so I will make my best guesses below and update as I hear changes.

Reminder, I use wrestlestat rankings because they are easy to find everyone, go out past 30ish and all rankings are generally similar with other services to give you a comparison between two guys.

OU is ranked #16 and OSU #6 by Wrestlestat. OSU is 3-0 after dominating Stanford, Minnesota and Drexel. OU is 2-1 beating West Virginia and Northern Colorado and losing 22-12 to #8 Arizona State. OU has been to several open tournaments, so their starters have a lot more competitive matches under their belts early this year. If OU was not banged up, it would easily be the toughest dual so far of the year for OSU.

125: #12 Trevor Mastrogiovanni (3-0) v. #32 Joey Prata (6-1)
133: #1 Daton Fix (3-0) v. #23 Anthony Madrigal (6-2)
141: #110 Carter Young (1-1) v. #58 Jacob Butler (2-3) or #130 Zakery Zeamer (2-5)
149: #20 Kaden Gfeller (2-1) v. #11 Mitch Moore (10-4) or #66 Willie McDougald (3-3)
157: #21 Wyatt Sheets (2-1) v. #18 Justin Thomas (7-3)
165: #7 Travis Wittlake (2-1) v. #25 Joseph Grello (2-3)
174: #12 Dustin Plott (3-0) v. #59 Anthony Mantanona (7-3)
184: #8 Dakota Geer (3-0) v. #29 Darrien Roberts (11-3)
197: #1 AJ Ferrari (3-0) v. #14 Jake Woodley (11-2)
285: #44 Luke Surber (2-1) v. #32 Josh Heindselman (6-5)

125: Prata is tough wrestler who is potential NCAA qualifier this year. He has not dominated lesser competition, but has got the job done so far, only losing to #5 Brandon Courtney from ASU, 8-3. Trevor should win this one in a close one. 3-0 OSU

133: Madrigal had a killer start to the year beating #8 Dylan Ragusin and #9 Lucas Byrd and #12 Rayvon Foley on his way to the Michigan State Open title, but inexplicably lost in a Major Decision to #14 Michael McGee and a 3-2 loss to #16 Mosha Schwartz. Fix has dominated Madrigal in the past, pinning him in February, and a 6-1 decision a couple weeks later at Big XII. Im betting on a major here. OSU 7-0.

141: This would be a great matchup if #5 ranked Dom Demas was going - he has not wrestled this year. Jacob Butler has gotten the start for OU's first 2 duals, but was replaced in starting lineup for their last matchup so who knows. Either way Young Carter should have his way. Another major if no Demas, maybe a tech. OSU 11-0.

149: Mitch Moore is a fun guy to watch wrestle but he got popped pretty good last week and defaulted out of the tournament. Have not heard his status for Sunday. If he can go, he will be a tough match up for Gfeller. Let's assume he goes though. Moore had 5 pins and a tach fall out of his 10 wins this year. He lost a close one (3-2) to #8 Ridge Lovett (who lost in OT to #1 Yianni Diakomihalis), but got majored by #2 Sammy Sasso. He kept it close in a two losses to a top 4 ranked Boo Lewallen late last season, 6-2 and 4-0. This will be a close one, but I'm gonna give the edge to the Moore Mustache if he's healthy. OSU 11-3

157: Time for Sheets to man up. If he's gonna All American this year, he's gotta win these type of matches. These two guys have gone at it 5 times over the last several years, and outside of a 13-5 Major by Thomas in February, it's always close with these two, with Thomas having a 3-1 edge over the last two years. Thomas' best win this season is against #19 Andrew Cerniglia from Navy and he has lost to #12 Jacob Wright of Wyoming and #4 Jacori Teemer of Arizona State. This should be a barn burner. As much as I hate it, I've got Thomas for the win here. OSU 11-6.

165: Not much to say here. Grello is a 5th year Senior with a career 43-34 record, has lost to every decent person he has faced. He did keep it close with #10 Anthony Valencia from ASU, only losing 8-6, but Wittlake should take him easily. OU's other option here, #70 Troy Mantanona was the starter last year, but got teched by Wittlake 26-11 and 27-11, so probably not a good option either. OSU 14-6

174: On paper Plott should win this one easily, but Anthony has given him a little trouble. Last year they went 1-1 against each other with Tony winning 7-4 and Plott winning 11-6. Mantanona lost to the only two decent wrestlers he's faced this year. Plott here by 6. OSU 17-6

184: Roberts is a good wrestler, but not in the same class as Geer. Geer beat him 11-0 and 18-4 last year and I expect the same here. #7 Brit Wilson beat Roberts 8-1 in November and #9 Kaleb Romero beat him 3-2 last weekend, so he could keep it close. I'm still picking Geer with the major decision. OSU 21-6.

197: Woodley might be the best wrestler on the mat for OU Sunday, but he is running into the buzzsaw Ferrari. Last year, as a true Freshman, AJ beat Woodley 3 times (3-2, 4-1, then 8-4). Woodley's best wins this year was against #10 Pat Brucki of Michigan and #15 Kordell Norfleet of ASU. His losses were against #12 Eric Schultz and #19 Thomas Penola. AJ is just too good, and wins 5-2. OSU 24-6.

285: Although neither are highly ranked, this might be the match of the dual. This is the first real chance to see where Surber stacks up against top Big XII guys (we don't count Gable Steveson as he is a freak). Heindselman beat #4 Matt Stencel to start the year, but has been really inconsistent since then making you wonder if he's a little banged up. He lost in OT to #21 Gas Tank Gary Traub who was on a mission to win the bracket at Cliff Keen last week. Even though his record is just so-s, he has wrestled some tough decent guys already this year. I'm picking Surber in the mild upset here, 4-3. OSU 27-6

If OSU wrestled their butts off, and Demas doesn't go, OSU COULD pitch the shutout. I don't think that happens, but a big win here puts some distance between them and OU and makes it a two-team race with Missouri to win the unofficial conference dual race. What say you Cowboy wrestling faithful? Where am I right Where am I wrong? What match are you dying to see?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2004
Everyone should start calling in to the Sports Animal tomorrow and bug the crap out of Traber about OSU wrestling. Call all week. He and others on there would not even know any names of wrestlers for either schools. He says if you want to talk OSU than call. Now would be a great time.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I'm curious, will OU petition the Big 12 to remain in the Big 12 Wrestling Conference?

Oklahoma State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Air Force
Northern Colorado
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
Utah Valley
Wyoming
Missouri

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
I'm curious, will OU petition the Big 12 to remain in the Big 12 Wrestling Conference?

Oklahoma State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Air Force
Northern Colorado
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
Utah Valley
Wyoming
Missouri
I am fairly certain they will, and I hope they say yes. According to Coach Smith, 2 non wrestling schools kept Mizzou out for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Oh the memories.

My dad was a huge wrestling fan and we always drove approx 150 miles round trip to watch oSu wrestling duals while I was in Jr High and HS. My High School did not have wrestling.

While in HS, got to see some legends including Fred Fozzard and Jojro Uetake (the Japanese guy that I believe went undefeated while at oSu) Also was in Norman when the goons snapped oSu's I believe 86 dual winning streak. Remember the ou goon fans chanting "Poor Aggies" Back in those days oSu fans would chant "Poor Sooners" when we won sports events against them. I believe the word "Bedlam" came about from past wrestling duals.
Continued attending wrestling duals while a student at oSu. In fact, one day my racquetball partner and I played then wrestling coach and future Athletic Director Myron Roderick one day at the Colvin Center by chance. His partner was a wrestler...........don't remember his name. BTW, they stomped us. :D

I am retired and living back in Stillwater with season tickets for wrestling.

Expecting to be saying "Pooooooooor Sooooooooners" after the dual this Sunday. Nope, not attending.
Don't want to spend my birthday around a bunch of gooner fans. :D

wrestling1966.jpg

Cowboy T

Greenhorn
Nov 28, 2021
Stillwater OK
At the time I thought that wrestling in the state of Oklahoma missed an opportunity to put this dual on the afternoon of the bedlam football game. It would've been great to see the wrestling team in the afternoon then switch to football for the evening. Although I'm not sure OU would've agreed.

Cowboy T

Greenhorn
Nov 28, 2021
Stillwater OK
I hope for a competitive match. I don't think Drexel really gave much resistance, it's difficult to take much outside of Plott's match. There's are several matches that I want to see here. 125 - Mastro has to keep getting better. There are signs, so well see.
141- Carter looks like he will really score some points but needs experience. I really want to see Demas here.
174- Plott continue progressing towards the guy we thought coming out of high school. I expect a really good year from him.
285- I believe Surber can do some damage at heavy, but I'm not sure if it will happen this year. Either way it is good to see a heavy wrestle more light a lighter weight.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Update from a Sooner, Cory on another page:

Madrigal messed his arm up against arizona state, which I believe affected him 2 days later when he wrestled the no col guy, not an excuse, if he was hurt he shouldn't have been on the mat, but then he was a scratch last weekend at the cliff keen invite, and we were actually open at that weight, so if Tony can't go, that could be a forfeit.

Prata also had his hand pretty heavily wrapped against asu and ncu, and was also not at cklv, creamer was in his place and went 0-2, so hopefully joey is also back to not give up 4-5 points or more also.

And just as a fact check, woodley also won the michigan state open and beat Brucki, who wrestlestat currently has at 8, and Caffey (16). But jake is coming off a loss in the third place match last weekend against penola (17)..he's been mostly up, but has had some downs this year too. I've had roberts picked as my breakout sooner this year since last year, and I think he can qualify for detroit this year, and something to solidify my thinking there would be keeping that one to a decision at least.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I'll be in enemy territory rooting on the Pokes to number 146! :pistols:
Never ever again. Not only had the stereotypical experience in Norman last time, it was a nightmare of educational proportions. Dude teaching his 6-7 year old daughter to sing to me the F—k OSU fight song while he was so drunk managing to fall upwards in a stadium knocking out several loose teeth. Wish camera phones were around then. Yup. Last time.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com