The OU conundrum for this weekend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com
Right on. I guess, thanks for your support?

It was the biggest win in program history. What victory was a bigger deal for them? I cant think of a better one.

I dont know of any osu fans upset over the lack of bedlam coverage either. It's just a humorous reminder of how insignificant the osu program is to people outside of their fan base. I think it's very neat and special and I think your pride is well deserved.
2011 Bedlam was bigger in every aspect. It was for the Big12 championship and a BCS berth (potential NC game but we know how that went).

Other top games that were big for our program:

2001 Bedlam game: began the belief that the program could change directions under Les Miles
2002 Texas A&M and Nebraska: program building wins
2011 BCS Fiesta Bowl: program defining win
2014 Bedlam: kept our bowl streak alive, without that win we finish with a losing season

Calling this year's Bedlam win the biggest is OSU history is just flat out wrong and delusional. It was definitely a must win to remain alive in the CFP chances, but so was every game before that and so is the Baylor game this week (which is for an actual championship).

OU fans want the real OSU fans to make everything about them but we don't. Believe it or not, we don't hang our entire season on Bedlam. Sometimes it works out that way because when you win 10+ games, any loss drops you out of the top 10. But most years it's just another "rivalry" game.

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
2011 Bedlam was bigger in every aspect. It was for the Big12 championship and a BCS berth (potential NC game but we know how that went).

2001 Bedlam game: began the belief that the program could change directions under Les Miles
2014 Bedlam: kept our bowl streak alive, without that win we finish with a losing season

Calling this year's Bedlam win the biggest is OSU history is just flat out wrong and delusional. It was definitely a must win to remain alive in the CFP chances, but so was every game before that and so is the Baylor game this week (which is for an actual championship).

OU fans want the real OSU fans to make everything about them but we don't. Believe it or not, we don't hang our entire season on Bedlam. Sometimes it works out that way because when you win 10+ games, any loss drops you out of the top 10. But most years it's just another "rivalry" game.
THIS 100%. Bedlam is a huge game because both teams have been really good over the past 10-15 years. Being on the wrong end of a 85/100 losing record sucks hardcore, but by no means would any osu fan ever agree to take a guaranteed annual bedlam win over consistent winning seasons/bowl games/trophies. That's just so far off base its not even funny anymore (as if it ever was).

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Folks, let's be honest. OU is gonna be just fine. They're leaving for the almighty SEC and saying good bye to the lowly B12. Losing their Head Coach, losing at least 3 5-star commits, 3 4-star commits, portal losses of at least 1 QB, 1 TE and 3 WR is of no real concern. They are OU and they still have Sooner Magic. And magic is what it's gonna take to turn a very expensive dumpster fire into mediocrity in the SEC.

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com
Folks, let's be honest. OU is gonna be just fine. They're leaving for the almighty SEC and saying good bye to the lowly B12. Losing their Head Coach, losing at least 3 5-star commits, 3 4-star commits, portal losses of at least 1 QB, 1 TE and 3 WR is of no real concern. They are OU and they still have Sooner Magic. And magic is what it's gonna take to turn a very expensive dumpster fire into mediocrity in the SEC.
What's the conversion rate for Big12 Sooner Magic to SEC Sooner Magic?

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Depending on how far we go this year, the 2021 Bedlam game will certainly be pivotal point.
However, I think it will prove to be more of a pivot point for the Sooners. Going into the game, they were buckling their seat belts for their eventual entry into the SEC, knowing it will be a wild ride. After Saturday and then on Sunday ... oh Lord I imagine that Sunday did not set well with their hangovers ... after Sunday, those who aren't actively trying to climb out of the back of that burning Sooner Schooner as it careens over the cliff are sitting in it with their eyes closed, chanting "everything will be ok, everything will be ok." :lol:

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Right on. I guess, thanks for your support?

It was the biggest win in program history. What victory was a bigger deal for them? I cant think of a better one.

I dont know of any osu fans upset over the lack of bedlam coverage either. It's just a humorous reminder of how insignificant the osu program is to people outside of their fan base. I think it's very neat and special and I think your pride is well deserved.

2011 was not bigger because it did not position them for what they are position for now. this is bigger and more significant by several magnitudes. I know you guys probably thought you had a chance to get to the BCS championship after losing to Iowa State, but everyone knew that wasn’t going to happen. This victory over a top 10 OU puts them in position of a guaranteed playoff spot and all They have to do is beat Baylor. Much bigger than beating a more maligned 2011 OU team.

If they are OU fans who want OSU fans to make everything about them, well, sucks for them, I’m not one of them. So I don’t really care. But this was definitely the biggest victory in program history. No other victory in their history put them one win away from the playoffs. Not because it was Oklahoma. But because of the playoff positioning.

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com
2011 was not bigger because it did not position them for what they are position for now. this is bigger and more significant by several magnitudes. I know you guys probably thought you had a chance to get to the BCS championship after losing to Iowa State, but everyone knew that wasn’t going to happen. This victory over a top 10 OU puts them in position of a guaranteed playoff spot and all They have to do is beat Baylor. Much bigger than beating a more maligned 2011 OU team.

If they are OU fans who want OSU fans to make everything about them, well, sucks for them, I’m not one of them. So I don’t really care. But this was definitely the biggest victory in program history. No other victory in their history put them one win away from the playoffs. Not because it was Oklahoma. But because of the playoff positioning.
Yup. You're delusional.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
A top 3 finish is nice, but not as nice as what is in front of them now. So, this victory is clearly more significant, and, at this point, the biggest one in program history. It's not going to kill you to observe reality for a moment

Not that i watch the national media or anything, but yeah, they do love talking about OU. Which is good for general relevancy. It's starting to quiet down a bit after a few days, but wait til they announce their hire, then everyone will be talking OU again.
I'll take the Jan. 1st 1946 Sugar Bowl as the biggest victory in OSU football history.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The Stanford win secured us a top 3 finish in the polls that year. So, like this year the biggest win will be the next one. Get you some popcorn and watch it, should be entertaining.

As far as insignificant, well....the national sports shows keep talking about us and the playoffs. They talk about ou and either needing a coach or losing players and/or commits.
A top 3 finish is nice, but not as nice as what is in front of them now. So, this victory is clearly more significant, and, at this point, the biggest one in program history. It's not going to kill you to observe reality for a moment

Not that i watch the national media or anything, but yeah, they do love talking about OU. Which is good for general relevancy. It's starting to quiet down a bit after a few days, but wait til they announce their hire, then everyone will be talking OU again.
Brian Kelly already overshadowed OU at the national level. And with the cfp poll yesterday, we are once again being talked about. It's obvious you aren't watching the national media. Oh wait, they do keep talking about the loss of commits and players at ou and then mention how the players at ND are still there and pushing for their DC to be promoted.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

Dude, you are just wrong. Will you please quit trying to tell us what our biggest win ever was? Think we can handle it. 2011 was by far bigger than this last Saturday and its not even objectively close. Maybe YOU didn't think we had a chance to make the natty that year, but the rest of the country did. Also, the big 12 commissioner handed us a trophy after 2011, so tell us again how this one was bigger?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
The Stanford win secured us a top 3 finish in the polls that year. So, like this year the biggest win will be the next one. Get you some popcorn and watch it, should be entertaining.

As far as insignificant, well....the national sports shows keep talking about us and the playoffs. They talk about ou and either needing a coach or losing players and/or commits.

Brian Kelly already overshadowed OU at the national level. And with the cfp poll yesterday, we are once again being talked about. It's obvious you aren't watching the national media. Oh wait, they do keep talking about the loss of commits and players at ou and then mention how the players at ND are still there and pushing for their DC to be promoted.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
That’s the cycle. It lasts a few days. Then There’s a new story. Then it’ll Start back up again when they announce the hire tonight

Well yeah, I’m not watching them, no cable. Expect some of those current guys in the portal to come back to OU.

Oct 7, 2012
That’s the cycle. It lasts a few days. Then There’s a new story. Then it’ll Start back up again when they announce the hire tonight

Well yeah, I’m not watching them, no cable. Expect some of those current guys in the portal to come back to OU.

Who do you think will be announced as Hc for OU?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

Who do you think will be announced as Hc for OU?
If I were to put my money on anyone it’s Brent venables for sure

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

That's absolutely revisionist history on your part. The notion that 'everyone knew that wasn't going to happen' is just a dumb comment. Not as dumb as TG's 'the Big 12 had Riley figured out' gem, but still dumb.

A simple search shows just how dumb.

"Still, that game lives on as a final confluence of controversies: selecting a team that didn’t win its own division (Alabama), leaving out a conference champion with the same record (11–1 Big 12 champion Oklahoma State) and producing a snoozefest of a title that reprised a regular season game that, with its 15 total points scored, was derided in some corners as a snoozefest in its own right.
“If Oklahoma State would have played LSU in that game,” SEC Network analyst Booger McFarland says, “we still have the BCS.”

"What was a sure thing got a whole lot more uncertain when Oklahoma State dismantled Oklahoma 44-10 on Saturday. The Alabama Crimson Tide were considered the heavy favorites to face the LSU Tigers in the BCS National Championship Game heading into this past weekend, before the Cowboys gave pollsters plenty to think about. Ultimately it wasn't enough, however, with the top three teams in the final BCS rankings of the regular season looking exactly the same from the week before: No. 1 LSU, No. 2 Alabama, No. 3 Oklahoma State."

1638405124358.png

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

That's absolutely revisionist history on your part. The notion that 'everyone knew that wasn't going to happen' is just a dumb comment. Not as dumb as TG's 'the Big 12 had Riley figured out' gem, but still dumb.

"Still, that game lives on as a final confluence of controversies: selecting a team that didn’t win its own division (Alabama), leaving out a conference champion with the same record (11–1 Big 12 champion Oklahoma State) and producing a snoozefest of a title that reprised a regular season game that, with its 15 total points scored, was derided in some corners as a snoozefest in its own right.
“If Oklahoma State would have played LSU in that game,” SEC Network analyst Booger McFarland says, “we still have the BCS.”

"What was a sure thing got a whole lot more uncertain when Oklahoma State dismantled Oklahoma 44-10 on Saturday. The Alabama Crimson Tide were considered the heavy favorites to face the LSU Tigers in the BCS National Championship Game heading into this past weekend, before the Cowboys gave pollsters plenty to think about. Ultimately it wasn't enough, however, with the top three teams in the final BCS rankings of the regular season looking exactly the same from the week before: No. 1 LSU, No. 2 Alabama, No. 3 Oklahoma State."

View attachment 93573
Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean it’s dumb. Osu stood no real chance to get in over 11-1 bama whose only loss was by 3 to the #1 team. They only dropped to 4 after losing. And the polls favored alabama too. They were otherwise 1 or 2 all year except for a week. They basically blew everyone out except lsu. So it wasn’t happening, despite the opinions of sports talk personalities.

Sep 30, 2013
plus.google.com

View attachment 93573
Both games would of had equal consequences for losing.

• Lose Bedlam in 2011: no BCS discussion

• Lose Bedlam in 2021: no CFP discussion

On a side note:

• Don't lose to ISU in 2011: almost guaranteed to play in BCS NCG

• Don't lose to ISU in 2021: no way Cincinnati gets into the CFP over an undefeated oSu team

The lesson? STOP overlooking ISU! :vomit:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

View attachment 93573
Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean it’s dumb. Osu stood no real chance to get in over 11-1 bama whose only loss was by 3 to the #1 team. They only dropped to 4 after losing. And the polls favored alabama too. They were otherwise 1 or 2 all year except for a week. They basically blew everyone out except lsu. So it wasn’t happening, despite the opinions of sports talk personalities.
If ‘everyone knew it wouldn’t happen’, it wouldn’t be controversial, by definition.

To say that the slimmest margin in BCS history was an absolute accepted thing is, again, dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

View attachment 93573
If ‘everyone knew it wouldn’t happen’, it wouldn’t be controversial, by definition.

To say that the slimmest margin in BCS history was an absolute accepted thing is, again, dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was controversial, in spite of the fact that everyone knew what was going to happen, hoping somehow Osu would jump alabama with that win.

None of the 3 polls had Osu higher than 3rd. They all had alabama 2nd after Osu lost. Osu never got higher than 3 after that. Bama never dropped below 2. So it was hopes & dreams fueling the fire for Osu to get in, but not any polls. No big deal. They have an opportunity to enjoy the greatest victory in team history Saturday.

If they’re really, really , really lucky, they won’t be the 4th seed. You’ll see quickly how it sucks being pitted against the best team in the country.

But I bet you’d still brag about making it there anyway.