The Ocasio-Cortez Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
She didn't buy her primary win, her opponent outspent her. In the general election she essentially ran unopposed because Republicans have no chance in that district.
I contend the opposite... she bought her votes with IOU's that she promises to make me fulfill.

Her primary opponent was a 10-term congressman, and incumbent almost always win... unless it's a poor immigrant district and you can buy their votes with promises of free stuff.

she bought her way in, whether it was with her money or promises of handing out my money.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I contend the opposite... she bought her votes with IOU's that she promises to make me fulfill.

Her primary opponent was a 10-term congressman, and incumbent almost always win... unless it's a poor immigrant district and you can buy their votes with promises of free stuff.

she bought her way in, whether it was with her money or promises of handing out my money.
Every politician makes promises. You're changing the definition of what it means to "buy an office." And it isn't like he isn't a progressive, too. No conservative is going to win in that district, ever. But, please, carry on.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Didn't "buy her way into office"? Yeah, right, and Santa Clause didn't buy his way down your Chimney either.

Promising people crap out of my pocket IS BUYING YOUR WAY INTO OFFICE!!
She was outspent something like 18-1 in the primary. Like @RxCowboy said its a safe democratic district so whoever wins the primary wins the general.

Ramdom question-do you get health insurance through your employer?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
No I didn't. Happen to have a link?
blocked at work. But she is making it sound like the taxpayers are paying for amazon to be there instead of the reality that amazon will pay less taxes than they normally would. what she leaves out is the impact in local taxes that they will bring in which is around $500 million per year despite the incentives.

Aug 16, 2012
It is kind of an issue. Yall bitch about her but this is someone who is clearly not a career politician and didn't buy their way into office. Regardless of political affiliation I think more people like her in Congress is a good thing. But now she has to maintain residences in two of the most expensive places to live in the country.

I'd think some sort of housing stipend for congressmen helps this but it is an issue. You want more middle class in Congress instead of the 1% then we need to make sure salary isn't an issue.
Maybe the left can build a congressional version of Cabrini Green or Pruitt-Igoe so people like her feel at home and can afford the rent.

Aug 16, 2012
Her salary doesn't kick in until she takes office, that's what she's whining about.
Well, then most people do not move right away. Out of school, I moved to Denver two days before I took my first job which I had secured during spring break. Stayed in my cheap house down on West Street until the start date. Assuming she has paid rent for her campaign HQ, she can work out of there until she gets seated, right?

Aug 16, 2012

I do not know why, but the office scene from "Erin Brockovich" keeps popping in my head. The one where she explains to the snooty attorney how she got all of the signatures. "634 blowjobs in five days. I'm really quite tired" Damn, I wish I knew how to load gifs.