The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
and this has me worried.
This is why I only invest "IDGAF" money. If I lose it, I lose it. No big deal because it doesn't affect my everyday finances. I know it's not a game and I have a feeling there's a lot of people who don't realize what they've actually done investing as much money as they have that are about to learn the hard way... The only REAL concern for me would be my 401k but I've still got 30+ years left to retirement.

Jun 14, 2011
This is why I only invest "IDGAF" money. If I lose it, I lose it. No big deal because it doesn't affect my everyday finances. I know it's not a game and I have a feeling there's a lot of people who don't realize what they've actually done investing as much money as they have that are about to learn the hard way... The only REAL concern for me would be my 401k but I've still got 30+ years left to retirement.
This line of thinking is the only reason I can go to sleep at night if I'm thinking about the market and such before bed. Otherwise, I have been trying to not look at my investments b/c... oof.

Mar 11, 2006
Agreed. Stay well diversified, continue to invest, and ignore the noise.
True, true, true. Timing of the market is near impossible. What Jack Bouroudjian tweeted above may prove to be correct --- and if so, he will look like a prophet. But for every prophet there have been 100s of analysts that have tweeted out that a crash is coming ... and it doesn't occur --- and people who listened to the false prophets sat on the sidelines not investing and watched their dollars stagnate and actually drop in value due to inflation.

Your money needs to be somewhere. The stock market, real estate, or direct business ownership --- just having it in the bank (other than to cover short living needs) is not a good decision.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I invest GAF money, but in relatively safe stocks. I do invest some in slightly more speculative stocks, but nothing too risky because I GAF about most of my money. My DGAF money is the $20 I spend on slots when I go to Vegas every 3-5 years.

Nov 6, 2010
We're back with the next episode of Bargain Hunters! (Sidenote: it took Herculean efforts to open my trading app to look at prices this AM)

GOOG - $2324/share FVE at $3600
AMZN - $2334/share FVE at $3850 (lowered from $4200)
TWLO - $114/share FVE at $376
CRSP - $52/share FVE at $119
DIS - $111/share FVE at $170
PYPL - $85/share FVE at $139
CHWY - $29/share FVE at $47
NOW - $466/share FVE at $700
TCEHY - $45/share FVE at $108
VEEV - $177/share FVE at $275
ADBE - $398/share FVE at $615
SE - $80/share FVE at $125
UBER - $26/share FVE at $73
DASH - $70/share FVE at $163
NFLX - $190/share FVE at $280
SHOP - $406/share FVE at $730 (down 15% on earnings today so FVE may be revised lower)
UPST - Morningstar doesn't have coverage but massive growth trading at $88 down from $400

P.S. if you pay $5/month for a Robinhood premium account you get access to very in-depth MS reports on these companies. $35/month if you go straight through Morningstar.
Hope nobody jumped on Upstart like I did Teledoc.

Oct 7, 2008
Hope nobody jumped on Upstart like I did Teledoc.
No Upstart thank god. I only have a position in 2-3 out of the list of 50+ I posted (not counting mutual funds). Wish I'd been more patient with TDOC, had already added 1/2 of my planned position before that massive drop.

Here's a good analysis of what happened to Upstart btw.
https://reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/umi6z6/upstart_and_its_50_drop_premarket/

Nov 6, 2010
No Upstart thank god. I only have a position in 2-3 out of the list of 50+ I posted (not counting mutual funds). Wish I'd been more patient with TDOC, had already added 1/2 of my planned position before that massive drop.

Here's a good analysis of what happened to Upstart btw.
https://reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/umi6z6/upstart_and_its_50_drop_premarket/
Don't care, but thanks. My point was this Morningstar list seems to be bunk. Having said that, I am adding to TDOC, I do like what they've got going, and I think like with all selloffs, babies get thrown out undeservedly. Would still like some opinions on Boeing though.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Interesting tidbit I just read:

Last year NFTs made a splash in the crypto-sphere, becoming a $17B market seemingly overnight. But global sales are down 92% from September as traders feel the weight of inflation and high interest rates. Last week Coinbase launched its first NFT marketplace, but saw less than $60K worth of trades on its debut. With markets going haywire, collectors are less likely to splurge on a digi-ape — some are selling for less than a third of the OG price.
For the life of me, I cannot understand the NFT, Metaverse, sandbox, etc. stuff.