The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I have owned bitcoin for years. I shunned all other crypto due to a lack of understanding. I could easily wrap my head around bitcoin's blockchain (its general ledger), finite supply, de-centralization, ubiquity, etc. I couldn't say the same about other crypto at that time because there weren't really practical applications for Ether in its infancy. But it's changed and therefore I had to change my perspective and educate myself.

I've always been a stocks guy, but IMO the opportunities don't exist like they used to in the stock market unless it's a Great Recession or COVID event. I still have a huge allocation to index funds via retirement accounts, but the pivot to crypto for everything else felt right to me based on age, risk tolerance, etc. Obviously it may not be for everyone, but I firmly believe it's at least worth educating oneself. And FWIW, I have this talk with people daily and 90%+ of them think I'm crazy. So no offense taken if that's the conclusion. :lol:
Ok, here is a question for you. I'm comfortable with my knowledge of the markets. I'm somewhat weak on bonds but I'm ok with that given the current climate. I'm comfortable with stocks but am mostly passive indexing like others with some dabble in others.

But, crypto, not at all. I know the extreme basics, but otherwise am lost. I currently have a full time job, a part time job, and several other time intensive things.

IF I were to want to look into crypto as a small part of my portfolio not to shift massively into the space, how much initial and ongoing time am I looking at for this deep dive? Also, where to start as so much seems to be the opinion of randoms on the internet?

Oct 7, 2008
Ok, here is a question for you. I'm comfortable with my knowledge of the markets. I'm somewhat weak on bonds but I'm ok with that given the current climate. I'm comfortable with stocks but am mostly passive indexing like others with some dabble in others.

But, crypto, not at all. I know the extreme basics, but otherwise am lost. I currently have a full time job, a part time job, and several other time intensive things.

IF I were to want to look into crypto as a small part of my portfolio not to shift massively into the space, how much initial and ongoing time am I looking at for this deep dive? Also, where to start as so much seems to be the opinion of randoms on the internet?
The current chair of the SEC giving a lecture on crypto at MIT is a decent place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6vE97qIP4&ab_channel=MITOpenCourseWare

Oct 7, 2008
I'm not catching any falling knives today but man I'm licking my chops eyeing these growth stocks that are getting hammered lately.

Also president of AMAT said supply chain issues are clearing up so might be a good time to open positions in companies that have been getting battered there.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I'm not catching any falling knives today but man I'm licking my chops eyeing these growth stocks that are getting hammered lately.

Also president of AMAT said supply chain issues are clearing up so might be a good time to open positions in companies that have been getting battered there.
The only downside I see is Omicron, which makes me a little hesitant.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
The only downside I see is Omicron, which makes me a little hesitant.
I see the government as the issue on that. By all reports it's basically mutated down to a common cold in that variant. So far 0 deaths and all the cases in the west have been the sniffles for a couple days. if it keeps going this way it should be the signal the pandemic is over because the virus has finally mutated into a nothing burger.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I see the government as the issue on that. By all reports it's basically mutated down to a common cold in that variant. So far 0 deaths and all the cases in the west have been the sniffles for a couple days. if it keeps going this way it should be the signal the pandemic is over because the virus has finally mutated into a nothing burger.
I had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a research scientist married to a medical doctor. Her take was not nearly as plucky as yours. The 60+ mutations specific to the spike proteins was a bit worrisome to her. Also, the monoclonal antibody treatments may not be as effective, per Regeneron. That has literally been a lifesaver with the previous waves.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I had a conversation with a friend of mine who is a research scientist married to a medical doctor. Her take was not nearly as plucky as yours. The 60+ mutations specific to the spike proteins was a bit worrisome to her. Also, the monoclonal antibody treatments may not be as effective, per Regeneron. That has literally been a lifesaver with the previous waves.
Time will tell. As of today no one has died from it yet.

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011
The current chair of the SEC giving a lecture on crypto at MIT is a decent place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6vE97qIP4&ab_channel=MITOpenCourseWare
That freaking guy is terrifying. Still from the video looks like a face-swap between Jim Kelley & Mr. Burns from The Simpsons