The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
What are yall's thoughts on NFTs? Aer they really a sound investment?
It's inherently dependent on a Greater Fool relationship. If you view them as a form or digital art, I would approach it the same way as I would a physical painting you'd buy at a Christie's auction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZAk1d5fns&t=670s

For the record, I am fully behind Crypto and Defi. So I am very open to these types of innovations.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
What are yall's thoughts on NFTs? Aer they really a sound investment?
I am having trouble wrapping my head around it. I got on the Bitcoin train for a while turned 10 into 25 and got out.

I have never held art as an investment. Have some limited prints and sculptures but, they were based more on the aesthetic and not the investment quality.

I guess I’m saying...they’re not for me. Now if I could make a piece of digital art someone had to have, well I’m all in.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I am having trouble wrapping my head around it. I got on the Bitcoin train for a while turned 10 into 25 and got out.

I have never held art as an investment. Have some limited prints and sculptures but, they were based more on the aesthetic and not the investment quality.

I guess I’m saying...they’re not for me. Now if I could make a piece of digital art someone had to have, well I’m all in.
I do not understand it was well. I can grasp the exclusivity, however, unlike physical items, the item is available for everyone to view or use. I thought about trying NBA Top Shot, but I think I'm too late to the game. How are these "artists" just coming up with these drawings which are fetching over $100,000 for garbage like CryptoPunks
1615897234059.png

Up to the recent Christie's sale of this $69 million piece.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I do not understand it was well. I can grasp the exclusivity, however, unlike physical items, the item is available for everyone to view or use. I thought about trying NBA Top Shot, but I think I'm too late to the game. How are these "artists" just coming up with these drawings which are fetching over $100,000 for garbage like CryptoPunks
View attachment 89411

The only thing these "works of art" potentially have going for them is the fame of the artist. What kind of disposable income do you have to have to pay $69 million for this? Do you hang a 90" TV on the wall to display them?
A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
This statement is a sure sign of a market mania. It will come down at a certain point and it will be rough.
Yeah, it could, history dictates it. But it may not have to be really rough, not like it was during the recession. But we dont really know. All we do know is that if you dont need the money for at least 20 years, I wouldnt worry about it. the market historically corrects, but there's rarely ever, if ever at all , not been a 15 year swath of time that didnt see an average of at least 7% gains in the market year over year.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yeah, it could, history dictates it. But it may not have to be really rough, not like it was during the recession. But we dont really know. All we do know is that if you dont need the money for at least 20 years, I wouldnt worry about it. the market historically corrects, but there's rarely ever, if ever at all , not been a 15 year swath of time that didn't see an average of at least 7% gains in the market year over year.
Money invested in the Dow in 1929 would have had a loss until 1954. I think that is unlikely these days since market cycles have compressed, not extended. We just had a major bear market that lasted a few weeks. But, history says it is possible.

zachya

Feel the sting, feeling time bearing down.
A/V Subscriber
Dec 14, 2004
Home
View attachment 89411

...there's always a market for money laundering...

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Time to look at adjusting to more blue chip dividend paying stocks.

Picking a winner a year ago required nothing more than throwing a dart.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Always check your pockets before putting clothes in the hamper.
Rule is: if you find it in the washer or dryer it’s yours.

My wife has amassed a small fortune that way.
Let me guess she got it mostly from large quantities of small bills left in there that you forgot to pass out to the ladies...

Oct 7, 2008
I'm poppin' into some consumer discretionary, travel, and leisure ETF's for the next few months.
I've been trying to figure out how to play the coming travel boom. I'm already deep in a Texas oil company but might pick up some BP. Been watching some online booking stocks. Hotels, airlines, cruises should all payout well for the next year. I'm a contrarian so I don't like to do the obvious plays though :/

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I'm poppin' into some consumer discretionary, travel, and leisure ETF's for the next few months.
Good calls. Taking some of the gains from the last year is just good investing.
High yield ETF, Utilities, O&G are some other places to park while waiting to see how:
tax policy, monetary policy and the next two quarters corporate revenue numbers turn out.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Took some of the gains from tech last year and have about 17% of my account sitting in cash ready to trade. I’ve been doing ETF’s but wanting to dip into some blue chip stocks probably.

Mar 11, 2006
Took some of the gains from tech last year and have about 17% of my account sitting in cash ready to trade. I’ve been doing ETF’s but wanting to dip into some blue chip stocks probably.
I am in a similar cash percentage and I don’t like it. Highest percentage of cash I have ever had in my portfolio. Getting ready to buy Viacom. They have been hammered in the market due to Archegos Capital going under, but I think Viacom will bounce back.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
I am in a similar cash percentage and I don’t like it. Highest percentage of cash I have ever had in my portfolio. Getting ready to buy Viacom. They have been hammered in the market due to Archegos Capital going under, but I think Viacom will bounce back.
Good call.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well, my Robinhood carried me all the way to $750 and after everything started falling I'm back down to $350 now... That kinda sucks. lol. I'm still net positive but MAN I should have cashed out when it was at $750 and just taken my $650 return... lol