The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Bad week for my Robinhood... I was a $700 a week ago and am down to $600 this morning. PLUG and FCEL are my main ones and have fallen 20% over the last week. PLUG down to almost $50/share after sitting at $60-$70 for a while.
Looks like this is the reason:

Well, it turns out battery-powered EVs aren't the only kind of clean energy that Norway is interested in beating America in. Earlier this morning, hydrogen economy enthusiast H2-View.com reported that Norway is also building its first large-scale fuel cell production facility -- a "gigafactory" that will churn out 1.2 gigawatts of fuel cells to power "hydrogen-powered ships and other heavy-duty installations."

Oct 7, 2008
After the last two days I think I'm starting to develop feelings for my UHAUL stock. Definitely feels like we're more than just friends at this point.

Also if you don't have a portion of your portfolio in a chipmaker yet, you should. There's a massive demand over the next several years, so much so that Apple and other tech companies have been lobbying for lower taxes and subsidies to boost production on semiconductors.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I have been rearranging portfolios across the board since last week, retirement and taxable accounts. Retirement accounts are easy, no tax consequences to shift positions. Taxable accounts are an issue. Do I liquidate a large tech ETF position with 75% gains and pay the taxes on them? It really comes down to how much I think Tech will drop. Giving a 25% effective tax rate I would have to assume tech to drop by half that percentage to make it reasonable. My guess based on all the speculation is that it will. At this point my tech ETF has already given back a little over 5% in the last week.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I have been rearranging portfolios across the board since last week, retirement and taxable accounts. Retirement accounts are easy, no tax consequences to shift positions. Taxable accounts are an issue. Do I liquidate a large tech ETF position with 75% gains and pay the taxes on them? It really comes down to how much I think Tech will drop. Giving a 25% effective tax rate I would have to assume tech to drop by half that percentage to make it reasonable. My guess based on all the speculation is that it will. At this point my tech ETF has already given back a little over 5% in the last week.
All depends on your retirement horizon, need for near-term cash, investment objectives, portfolio diversity and investment alternatives. If you’re just trying to time the market, I’ll be of no help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
So can someone more educated in this give a quick explanation of WTH happened this morning with everything? All of the stocks I watch (various industries) all took a nose dive this morning, some of them recovered.

Mar 11, 2006
So can someone more educated in this give a quick explanation of WTH happened this morning with everything? All of the stocks I watch (various industries) all took a nose dive this morning, some of them recovered.
Don’t know which stocks you watch, but the market recovered mostly due to announcement that the Fed would keep money cheap until closer to full employment.

The Fed stated that inflation is still not an overriding concern. That statement calmed some concern about Fed raising rates on $$$, but inflation did jump last month — although still low. If it rises again for next couple of months, it may put pressure on Fed to make a move.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The market is nervous. We are past the pre-covid numbers by 10% with an economy that is still 30% behind. A sneeze may give this market a cold.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
All depends on your retirement horizon, need for near-term cash, investment objectives, portfolio diversity and investment alternatives. If you’re just trying to time the market, I’ll be of no help.

I guess it depends on how you determine what market timing is. What I consider portfolio management you may consider market timing.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I guess it depends on how you determine what market timing is. What I consider portfolio management you may consider market timing.
Diversity, and sticking to it, can eliminate many of the tactics designed to time the market.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Diversity, and sticking to it, can eliminate many of the tactics designed to time the market.

If you’re a passive investor sure if you’re an active investor you analyze trends and invest accordingly.

I have an annual return of 25% a year for the last three years while assuming the same risk as a diversified portfolio with 70/30 stock/bond ratio. I’m perfectly fine with how I do things.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

If you’re a passive investor sure if you’re an active investor you analyze trends and invest accordingly.

I have an annual return of 25% a year for the last three years while assuming the same risk as a diversified portfolio with 70/30 stock/bond ratio. I’m perfectly fine with how I do things.
Don’t do trends. Or I should say my money managers don’t do trends. Good luck.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Don’t know which stocks you watch, but the market recovered mostly due to announcement that the Fed would keep money cheap until closer to full employment.

The Fed stated that inflation is still not an overriding concern. That statement calmed some concern about Fed raising rates on $$$, but inflation did jump last month — although still low. If it rises again for next couple of months, it may put pressure on Fed to make a move.
These are the ones I've actually got money in but a lot of others have similar graphs for today. An early day plummet that almost worked itself out. It was just weird to see so many stocks do the exact same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oct 7, 2008
Don't have a position but I've been watching Piedmont Lithium ever since Tesla announced their partnership a few months ago. Spiked from $6 to $42 when they announced, then dropped back to the $20 range and has been on an absolute tear since. Suffice to say lithium could be a good play for the coming EV boom.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Don't have a position but I've been watching Piedmont Lithium ever since Tesla announced their partnership a few months ago. Spiked from $6 to $42 when they announced, then dropped back to the $20 range and has been on an absolute tear since. Suffice to say lithium could be a good play for the coming EV boom.
Musk just has to mention a stock for it to have a great bump. I wonder if he owned PLL before he announced the partnership?