The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 14, 2011
SLV up ~10%, AG up ~35%. It looks like Silver is going to be the next thing to go on a run.
Heard this on NPR this morning. There was some interesting commentary by whomever they were talking to. I'm probably butchering the take away but it sounded to me like silver, since it is a commodity, has much less likelyhood of being inflated like a traditional stock and therefore should be much less volatile. Also, most of the silver is "owned" by banks who have much deeper pockets than hedge funds and they even literlly have physical silver stores on hand. The person that was interviewed said that silver going up in the market could actually be a big positive for banks that own it. It was an interesting listen for sure.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Heard this on NPR this morning. There was some interesting commentary by whomever they were talking to. I'm probably butchering the take away but it sounded to me like silver, since it is a commodity, has much less likelyhood of being inflated like a traditional stock and therefore should be much less volatile. Also, most of the silver is "owned" by banks who have much deeper pockets than hedge funds and they even literlly have physical silver stores on hand. The person that was interviewed said that silver going up in the market could actually be a big positive for banks that own it. It was an interesting listen for sure.
Banks and some governments have stockpiles of silver, as do some private citizens. While some banks have a large amount of silver, there are also a few that heavily short silver and have done so for quite a while. Silver also has about a $1 Trillion market cap, which dwarf's GME's 30 Billion, so it is not going to 20x even with increased attention.

It is a good hedge against inflation though, and we are going to start seeing more of that due to US and Global monetary policy.