The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
You didn’t think the gvt in concert with the fed was going to let a prime opportunity to use irrational public fear to expand its breadth go unaddressed did you. Even though it was years in the making the seeds for the qe in 00-10’s were planted in September of 2001.
No, I didn't. If this rate keeps up, we will have nationalized banks.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
The governor of Ca just legalized the theft of private property under the disguise of a public health crisis. What hasn’t been done, in the order, is the limitation of this being specific to the Wuhan virus.
What? Is there an article about this?

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I'm in a few expat groups and didn't really get any more help there. I don't think it is something that I can beat in an easy manner. TBH, I wasn't really expecting anyone here to know but thought that it might be an icebreaker to get other people to bring up things in their lives. Actually, I think it was so complicated that it served to do the opposite.

You are correct about the sound financial decisions and forget taxes. If I would have simply exchanged it and invested in the S&P the day I left Australia I would have gotten a better exchange rate and still been ahead.
A couple of things, if you change your mind on consultation from an expat tax group with SV executive level clients just let me know.
In terms of your intent I don’t think it’s that your issue is that complicated, which it undoubtedly is, rather that your intent wasn’t readily apparent given the other market thread.
Having said that, there have been some changes to investor regulations that I doubt most are aware of but it used to be that to invest in startups you had to be an accredited investor, with certain conditions in place, that is no longer the case, although it’s not an open door to all startups and or ipo’s it’s an opening that didn’t exist before, the other item is that the definition of an accredited investor is no longer solely wealth based and that’s a sea change.
If anyone’s interested I’ll post the actual r&r’s to all this.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
RESIST THIS FASCIST!!
No kidding.

I'm all for a significant response because I think there is a good chance that this thing kills or harms lots of people with front line health care workers like myself as a prime target, but this is beyond.

The crazy thing is if he would have reached out to hotel execs and said, "If the shit hits the fan and we have nowhere to put patients, can you guys volunteer some unused space" I'm guessing he would have gotten a better response and all would have been happy.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I don't want to sound like I’m off the scale nutz, cause I don’t think I am, but I’m kinda glad I’ve got a small stock pile of ammo.

This is beyond anything I ever thought I’d see in my lifetime.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I don't want to sound like I’m off the scale nutz, cause I don’t think I am, but I’m kinda glad I’ve got a small stock pile of ammo.

You’re not nutz
Despite the regular flow of fear inducing crap being spewed and subsequently repeated by all the internet sleuths throughout all forms of media and from all regions of the political spectrum, I’m personally far more concerned about the muscle gvt (at all levels) is flexing in response than I am about an oversized pneumonia pandemic.
Before anyone tosses out the obligatory, what about xxx or if you knew someone who xxx, I do have several family members who would be considered high risk. If this isn’t what kills me they’ll just come up with something else. Remind yourself, without near the hysteria we’ve had, what, 7 or 8 pandemics according to WHO, right up there with the un imo, in the last 20 years.

Keep your powder dry my friend, they’re coming for you.

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

That is so strange.
I was just talking to my wife while eating and said, "I'm feeling uncomfortable with the unknown here but this feel like it must feel when bad stuff starts. I feel like I need to go buy a gun."

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
That is so strange.
I was just talking to my wife while eating and said, "I'm feeling uncomfortable with the unknown here but this feel like it must feel when bad stuff starts. I feel like I need to go buy a gun."
Great minds sometimes think like not so great minds.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I’m posting this here because for the most part the discussion has been rational. I don’t recommend watching this but I do suggest listening to it. If you don’t listen because it’s Joe Rogan you’re missing out it’s the guy he interviews that’s impressive. Completely non political but entirely informative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=E3URhJx0NSw

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I’m posting this here because for the most part the discussion has been rational. I don’t recommend watching this but I do suggest listening to it. If you don’t listen because it’s Joe Rogan you’re missing out it’s the guy he interviews that’s impressive. Completely non political but entirely informative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=E3URhJx0NSw
Joe Rogan is the best podcaster out there. He does really well interviewing a wide variety of people and a ton can be learned.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
A couple of things, if you change your mind on consultation from an expat tax group with SV executive level clients just let me know.
In terms of your intent I don’t think it’s that your issue is that complicated, which it undoubtedly is, rather that your intent wasn’t readily apparent given the other market thread.
Having said that, there have been some changes to investor regulations that I doubt most are aware of but it used to be that to invest in startups you had to be an accredited investor, with certain conditions in place, that is no longer the case, although it’s not an open door to all startups and or ipo’s it’s an opening that didn’t exist before, the other item is that the definition of an accredited investor is no longer solely wealth based and that’s a sea change.
If anyone’s interested I’ll post the actual r&r’s to all this.
I am interested in the accredited investor changes. That is something I was shooting for when I was younger but life happened...

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
Years ago I put the stock market in the rear view mirror and followed the advice of a trusted friend. That advice...California Income Property (in close proximity to large institutions such as military bases, hospital complexes and universities). Steady income plus asset appreciation. And peace of mind (aka a good night's sleep).

Oct 30, 2007
Most stocks & ETF's are on short sale restriction now after the 10% drop, so the bleeding should slow down today & tomorrow. The restriction will be lifted Wednesday.