The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
Not a bad idea actually. I just pulled my wife off my insurance since she's back from her year off teaching and also stopped my HSA pull while I was in there which freed up a few hundred a month.

I just noticed that we have both a Roth and a Pre-Tax 401K option... I know the difference, just not sure if maybe I should leave my pretax at 12% and then put a few % in Roth instead of putting it all in Pre-Tax.
What is said above by @Boomer..... and others is accurate. It is a personal choice, but I would recommend most anyone under 40 select the Roth 401 if they have a choice between pre-tax 401K and Roth 401K (unless they are currently a very-high earner).

My "guess" is the market will be lower over the next 12-18 months. However, there is no way to time the market --- best to just keep consistently investing in stocks.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I am planning on starting an average down soon. I changed all my mutual funds to reinvest dividends and capital gains again. I has been going to cash for almost a year now.
I'm not seeing an end to this bear market anytime soon. If I had bigger balls I'd be shorting the heck out of everything.

Oct 7, 2008
I am planning on starting an average down soon. I changed all my mutual funds to reinvest dividends and capital gains again. I has been going to cash for almost a year now.
I worked two jobs for two months and have been stashing away cash hoping for something like this. Just picking my spots and slowly deploying. Added a little ET last week, would love for it to go sub 10 so I can add more.

Dec 9, 2013
We’ve traveled between Little Rock and Memphis on I40 numerous times the past 6 months. The most recent was yesterday (9/29). Truck traffic was absolutely the most I’ve ever seen. It was packed w semi’s east and west bound.

Also fwiw, talked to a couple of financial advisors at different firms this week and they both thought we were nearing a bottom. They both thought a lot of what we saw last 2 weeks was panic selling w a lot of their clients who sold did so bc of something they read on Facebook and the majority of those went to gold.

Last edited:

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
We’ve traveled between Little Rock and Memphis on I40 numerous times the past 6 months. The most recent was yesterday (9/29). Truck traffic was absolutely the most I’ve ever seen. It was packed w semi’s east and west bound.

Also fwiw, talked to a couple of financial advisors at different firms this week and they both thought we were nearing a bottom. They both thought a lot of what we saw last 2 weeks was panic selling w a lot of their clients who sold did so bc of something they read on Facebook and the majority of those went to gold.
We have Qtr 3 earnings season upon us to help clear the picture going forward. I’ve heard people say that we need to increase supply to curb inflation but, I’m not convinced that is sustainable. Anyhow, I am looking at here to maybe 5% lower to reach bottom. Then we’ll drag there till second qtr next year before we start to climb out.

My opinions are based solely on watching and relating to 40 years of market following. If I was really good at this I would be posting from my yacht in the Mediterranean. I’m not so, grain of salt and all that.

Dec 9, 2013
We have Qtr 3 earnings season upon us to help clear the picture going forward. I’ve heard people say that we need to increase supply to curb inflation but, I’m not convinced that is sustainable. Anyhow, I am looking at here to maybe 5% lower to reach bottom. Then we’ll drag there till second qtr next year before we start to climb out.

My opinions are based solely on watching and relating to 40 years of market following. If I was really good at this I would be posting from my yacht in the Mediterranean. I’m not so, grain of salt and all that.
I agree. I think a little more pain. But I’m way too conservative and tend to not be right about this a lot.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
“Past performance is not an indicator of future trends.”

We are in a very unique position currently with high inflation and labor, yet low unemployment. Graduates (some many years out of college) are still drowning in student loan debt despite not finding a high paying job. The housing market has essentially priced out most younger people and corporations are buying up real estate. The QE and feds strategy to continue to spike interest rates will continue to pinch spending of the middle class and below who the majority holds consumer debt. Where this ends is a mystery but it seems to point to upper income earners and corporations coming out smelling like roses AGAIN.

Oct 7, 2008

Economy is doing just fine. A little too fine for the Fed's liking. They're trying to squash demand and wage growth without sending us into a deep recession. Let's see how it plays out!

Nov 6, 2010
I noticed chicken breasts at my local Baker's (Kroger) dropped from $3.29 to $2.99 per pound. Not a sale price, just the standard price. I thought that was a really good sign.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The markets aren't liking the good jobs report we got this morning. I think they're going to react negatively to any type of positive economic data right now, because it increases the odds of the Fed continuing to increase rates.

It was interesting to see the hard pivot that the Bank of England made last week. I think a lot of the rally we saw in the markets was based off the hope that the Fed would do the same. I hope that they stay the course until they get inflation under control.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I'm not seeing an end to this bear market anytime soon. If I had bigger balls I'd be shorting the heck out of everything.
But Gerald Celente says the feds when they meet on Nov. 1 will raise interest rates by just 25 basis points. That will cause the market to go up every day until election day. He also thinks the Democrats will win, barring any wildcards.