The bowl games thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So lots of bowls canceling this year. Wise move for them and the schools. Most teams barely break even on bowl games other than NY6 and CFP.
Forced ticket sales on participating schools won't work this year.

But, other than player's enjoyment, the main benefit of the Bowl game is the extra 14 practices. Big advantage for next year.

So what does NCAA do about the looming disparity in that only a few teams will get those 14 extra practices ?

Probably nothing and the Blue Bloods just keep on getting the system rigged for their advantage and schools like OSU get screwed . . . . again.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
So far there are still 35 bowl games + "Championship" game. I'm sure there will be more cancellations.

Seems like a lot of BIG10, PAC12, ACC bowls have been cancelled. Location or BIG10/PAC12 seems to be a common denominator.

8 Bowl games cancelled per DraftKings:
Redbox Bowl (Santa Clara, CA) - Mountain West vs BIG10/PAC12
Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas) - Conf USA vs MAC
Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, HI) - BYU/Mountain West vs AAC
Holiday Bowl (San Diego, CA) - BIG10 vs PAC12
Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit, MI) - BIG10 vs ACC
Pinstripe Bowl (Bronx, NY) - BIG10 vs ACC
Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX) - PAC12 vs ACC
Las Vegas Bowl (Las Vegas, NV) - BIG10 vs PAC12/SEC (however usually PAC12 vs mid-major)

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Per ESPN:
The Las Vegas Bowl is the 10th bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.
To get to 10 they are including:
Fenway Bowl, however this was their inaugural year.
Motor City aka Little Caesars Pizza Bowl was cancelled however it hasn't been played since 2013.

SO maybe they are trying to get COVID money. They were not around last year, but lets blame COVID this year.

Aug 7, 2006
Hopefully now someone in charge will finally realize there’s no need to air two worthless teams play in the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl, or the Celebration Bowl.
I don't see that happening... There's a reason why ESPN Events keeps creating new bowl games every year. They are very profitable for them. Even the lower tier games like the ones you mentioned get much better ratings than most of the stuff being broadcast on a weekday afternoon.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
So lots of bowls canceling this year. Wise move for them and the schools. Most teams barely break even on bowl games other than NY6 and CFP.
Forced ticket sales on participating schools won't work this year.

But, other than player's enjoyment, the main benefit of the Bowl game is the extra 14 practices. Big advantage for next year.

So what does NCAA do about the looming disparity in that only a few teams will get those 14 extra practices ?

Probably nothing and the Blue Bloods just keep on getting the system rigged for their advantage and schools like OSU get screwed . . . . again.
Every team regardless of bowl games should get those extra 14 practices. It might actually be more of a benefit (for the next season) as you would only focus on those returning to the program.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not sure why people have that attitude about the lesser bowls. I had a great time when we were in the bowl out there in Phoenix whatever they called it then. It's a chance to go on vacation somewhere, see another OSU football game, play a team we don't normally get to play. What's not to like?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not sure why people have that attitude about the lesser bowls. I had a great time when we were in the bowl out there in Phoenix whatever they called it then. It's a chance to go on vacation somewhere, see another OSU football game, play a team we don't normally get to play. What's not to like?
Well that explains a lot LOL

Nov 6, 2010
The Insight Bowl was great. Getting plastered with old friends in Tempe on New Years Eve after a blowout win was clutch :) Being able to walk from Sun Devil Stadium to Downtown Tempe. HELL YES!
Agreed, it was one of the most fun games I've ever been to. NYE block party after the game was awesome.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Count me as one who typically enjoys watching some of the lower tier bowl games, provided the matchups are at least somewhat compelling. With that said, last year's bowl pairings were the most uninteresting in memory. Hardly watched any of them aside from the NY6 and CFP. Cool story, bro;-)

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Who cares. All that matters is getting to the playoffs. Bowl games are waste of time aside from extra practices.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
At first I was going to blow this post up. You're still wrong, but...

I am a huge fan of college football, the passion, the pageantry, the rivalry, and the tradition. I love the bowls. Making a bowl game used to mean something. I have traveled to several bowl games and really enjoyed myself.

However, over the last decade they have added so many bowls, changed conference affiliations, changed the names. It used to mean something to make it to a bowl game. They don't even try to carry on with good "bowl names" eg Redbox, Camping World. etc. I honestly don't know many of the bowls anymore. I could honestly care less about watching 6-6 utep vs 6-6 marshall in the whatever.com bowl...

I hope covid kills off about 30% of the bowls indefinitely. 6 wins was acceptable when there were 11 games. Now it should be 7 wins..

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
No, I'm not talking about the Fiesta. The one before that, I think they called it the Insight back then.
It's a joke...

Had a great time but don't remember where I was..... Maybe there was a good reason for not remembering? LOL

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Cactus Bowl was an amazing game that launched the Rudolph years...What a fun game with the Castleman play and the smashed helmet. I love most all of the bowl games...the ones in Zona have been really good to us.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
So far there are still 35 bowl games + "Championship" game. I'm sure there will be more cancellations.

Seems like a lot of BIG10, PAC12, ACC bowls have been cancelled. Location or BIG10/PAC12 seems to be a common denominator.

8 Bowl games cancelled per DraftKings:
Redbox Bowl (Santa Clara, CA) - Mountain West vs BIG10/PAC12
Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas) - Conf USA vs MAC
Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, HI) - BYU/Mountain West vs AAC
Holiday Bowl (San Diego, CA) - BIG10 vs PAC12
Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit, MI) - BIG10 vs ACC
Pinstripe Bowl (Bronx, NY) - BIG10 vs ACC
Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX) - PAC12 vs ACC
Las Vegas Bowl (Las Vegas, NV) - BIG10 vs PAC12/SEC (however usually PAC12 vs mid-major)
gotta say that I’m surprised ESPN cancelled any of their

ESPN Events operates the following bowls, which ESPN televises:

Armed Forces Bowl
Birmingham Bowl
Bahamas Bowl
Boca Raton Bowl
Camellia Bowl
Celebration Bowl
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Fenway Bowl (2020)[15]
First Responder Bowl
Frisco Bowl