The Biden Administration Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Why do citizens of this country, who care about politics, perpetually focus the light on whomever the president is? .
Same reason the coach gets blamed when a football team loses. Sure it's an oversimplification but that's how it goes. Plus with Congress you get into the deal of " my Congressman is okay but it's those other guys"

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Aug 16, 2012
We need to take the Haitians to our major ports and teach them to unload ships. Two problems solved. Maybe get a group in a CDL program.

Haitian issue and supply chain issue solved…next.
Was at a truck stop west of Phoenix about five months ago and easily 80% of drivers coming in and out of the lounge were middle eastern or what appeared to be African immigrants judging by their attire (ex. Turbans, cotton pants, tunics and robes) and and languages they spoke amongst themselves. Two Weeks ago I was getting gas at the truck stop at I40 and 377 north of Seminole where I noted many of the truckers also appeared to be of recent African descent, again by attire and language they used amongst themselves. Immigrants are already in large numbers in the logistics industry.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Was at a truck stop west of Phoenix about five months ago and easily 80% of drivers coming in and out of the lounge were middle eastern or what appeared to be African immigrants judging by their attire (ex. Turbans, cotton pants, tunics and robes) and and languages they spoke amongst themselves. Two Weeks ago I was getting gas at the truck stop at I40 and 377 north of Seminole where I noted many of the truckers also appeared to be of recent African descent, again by attire and language they used amongst themselves. Immigrants are already in large numbers in the logistics industry.
And they do a damn fine job! I have yet to have one of those show up to deliver a load that had a "hurt" back.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
We need to take the Haitians to our major ports and teach them to unload ships. Two problems solved. Maybe get a group in a CDL program.

Haitian issue and supply chain issue solved…next.
I think you forgot about the dock workers unions

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
It sounds like they may need help. Hell, let them unionize the new guys.
I think it's 500,000 containers stuck of the coast of California...maybe the Admin could use the Defense Production Act to manufacture the chassis needed to move the containers to their final destinations.

Aug 16, 2012
And they do a damn fine job! I have yet to have one of those show up to deliver a load that had a "hurt" back.
I do not work with truckers directly but I have seen no issues with them (immigrants) otherwise. I was just pointing out an observation, be it from my limited exposure. However, I used to play baseball with a guy who was a union driver for ABF who at the time tried his darndest to convince me that truck drivers were useless pukes. Did not take long to realize it was just guys like him for much the same type of reason you noted. He would rather not take an assignment and get his union bennies than actually work. There was something about if they took X number of routes in a month they lost bennies and he would rather get his "unemployment" check than work.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I do not work with truckers directly but I have seen no issues with them (immigrants) otherwise. I was just pointing out an observation, be it from my limited exposure. However, I used to play baseball with a guy who was a union driver for ABF who at the time tried his darndest to convince me that truck drivers were useless pukes. Did not take long to realize it was just guys like him for much the same type of reason you noted. He would rather not take an assignment and get his union bennies than actually work. There was something about if they took X number of routes in a month they lost bennies and he would rather get his "unemployment" check than work.
I admire how hard these guys work. I don't understand the beat the system mentality of union workers.

Nov 6, 2010
I admire how hard these guys work. I don't understand the beat the system mentality of union workers.
It's not just union workers, I"ve seen the attitude in lots of shop/warehouse environments. The workers get the idea that they're being taken advantage of or whatever, particularly when you have one or two vocal ones in the shop, and then it becomes a "stick it to the man" scenario. I've witnessed it many times where they'll actually work harder to avoid the task, than they would have if they just did it. The psychology of it is everything.

I've mentored younger employees in these situations over the years, and try to explain that if they do the best job they can, their day will go faster, they'll feel better about themselves, and they won't be miserable when they go home or dread coming to work so much. And then, if their supervisor doesn't appreciate it, they can always market themselves elsewhere, but most likely, they'll advance at the place they're in. Sometimes they've listened and done well for themselves, but that smoke break conversation with the old disgruntled workers is hard for them to overcome.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
It's not just union workers, I"ve seen the attitude in lots of shop/warehouse environments. The workers get the idea that they're being taken advantage of or whatever, particularly when you have one or two vocal ones in the shop, and then it becomes a "stick it to the man" scenario. I've witnessed it many times where they'll actually work harder to avoid the task, than they would have if they just did it. The psychology of it is everything.
Sound familiar...

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I think it's 500,000 containers stuck of the coast of California...maybe the Admin could use the Defense Production Act to manufacture the chassis needed to move the containers to their final destinations.
It’s probably more than that. According to the LA port Twitter there are 300,000 floating on the water right now. That doesn’t include containers already on shore. It’s a 10 day wait to get an appointment to unload

Nov 6, 2010
he as-yet-unanswerable question is whether that slide is a momentary dip — a fluke of a tough run of headlines — or a warning sign of even deeper dissatisfaction among Democratic-leaning voters.

Given China Joe's track record there is more bad news to come, unfortunately for all of us.
I understand you will, even under pain of death, never utter a positive word about the Biden admin, but I'm a little curious if you still have reasoning for the "China" part of your moniker for Joe? I may have missed it, but as far as I know, the Trump tariffs are still in place, and I've never known any democrat to willingly get rid of a source of government revenue. So, what is it that makes you continue the moniker? Is it just your mentor's love for infantile pejorative prefixes, crooked Hillary, Lyin' Ted, Little Marco??

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/30/biden-trump-tariffs-china-514866

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
It’s probably more than that. According to the LA port Twitter there are 300,000 floating on the water right now. That doesn’t include containers already on shore. It’s a 10 day wait to get an appointment to unload
I was talking about the ones stuck on the boats, don't know how many are already landed and waiting for transport. But it's not just a driver shortage, there is a shortage of chassis to load the containers onto for transport. Of course, all of this leads to a shortage of containers for all the crap that needs to ship now.