The Biden Administration Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
https://www.wsj.com/articles/president-perception-11630449446?mod=opinion_lead_pos11

Reuters has published what it calls excerpts from a July phone call between President Joe Biden and Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani. According to the Reuters transcript, Mr. Biden said:
I need not tell you the perception around the world and in parts of Afghanistan, I believe, is that things aren’t going well in terms of the fight against the Taliban.​
And there’s a need, whether it is true or not, there is a need to project a different picture.​

f course what they really needed was a defense against the Taliban, but even when addressing military matters, our commander-in-chief couldn’t seem to stay focused on reality. The Reuters transcript continues:
NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Opinion: Morning Editorial Report

All the day's Opinion headlines.
PREVIEW

SUBSCRIBE

BIDEN: If you empower Bismillah [Defense Minister Bismillah Khan Mohammadi ] to execute a strategy focused on key parts of the population centers, and I’m not a military guy, so I’m not telling you what that plan should precisely look like, you’re going to get not only more help, but you’re going to get a perception that is going to change in terms of how , um…[unclear].. our allies and folks here in the States and other places think you’re doing.​
According to the transcript Mr. Biden then made promises of support which he has not kept, and then was back to his favorite subject:
But I really think, I don’t know whether you’re aware, just how much the perception around the world is that this is looking like a losing proposition, which it is not, not that it necessarily is that, but so the conclusion I’m asking you to consider is to bring together everyone from [Former Vice President Abdul Rashid] Dostum, to [Former President Hamid] Karzai and in between, if they stand there and say they back the strategy you put together, and put a warrior in charge, you know a military man, [Defense Minister Bismillah] Khan in charge of executing that strategy, and that will change perception, and that will change an awful lot I think.​
I'm waiting for both Pelosi and Schumer to demand China Joe release a full transcript of this discussion.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Ok, people. I didn't think I'd have to say this, since the obvious should be self-evident, for even the sluggish among us

Biden gave the orders to withdraw. That's all he did. It was up to the Pentagon to make the withdrawal as successful as possible. There, you're welcome.

Obviously and tragically, some troops were killed. But so did thousands of others during the absurdly ridiculously long occupation of Afghanistan, which we shouldn't have been there in the first place. Every single person involved with planning, funding, etc, of 9/11, were apprehended within the first couple years of the US invading the middle east after 9/11. If I were up to me, as soon as that happened, every single troop would've been removed from Afghanistan and sent home.

Obviously, Bin Laden was the one the got away the longest. You know, the same Bin Laden who lived in a highly unusual complex, literally right next to Pakistan's military base. You know, the same military base that had been watched via satellite for years. And there wasn't ONE time during most of the occupation of the Middle East that no one in the Pentagon said, 'hey, that place right next to Pakistan's military base is highly unusual and has intrigued me supremely to investigate."

Riiiiiiiiiiight. Bin Laden literally walked the complex every day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
As we speak they are desperately trying to divert attention away from Afghanistan and to climate change and abortion. With the help of MSM that task should be completed by this time next week.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
As we speak they are desperately trying to divert attention away from Afghanistan and to climate change and abortion. With the help of MSM that task should be completed by this time next week.
And soon followed by coverage of them trying to ram a $3+ trillion giveaway down our throats, which is really closer to $5 trillion combining both giveaways.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Afghanistan crisis: How Europe's relationship with Joe Biden turned sour...BBC

But in capitals across Europe, from London to Berlin, Afghanistan has soured the sweetness of Joe Biden's honeymoon. It's not the fact of the withdrawal itself that has rankled but the US's lack of coordination with allies, particularly since the Nato mission at the time of the drawdown comprised troops from 36 countries, three-quarters of whom were non-American, leading to an international scramble to evacuate.

The German deployment in Afghanistan was its first major combat mission since World War II, so the frustration at how it ended runs deep. Armin Laschet, Germany's conservative candidate for chancellor ahead of elections later this month, called the US withdrawal "the greatest debacle that Nato has experienced since its foundation".

Czech President Milos Zeman labelled it "cowardice", adding that "the Americans have lost the prestige of a global leader".
"Expectations were very high when Joe Biden came in - probably too high, they were unrealistic," Carl Bildt, Sweden's former Prime Minister, told the BBC. "His 'America is back' suggested a golden age in our relations. But it didn't happen and there's been a shift in a fairly short period of time. The complete lack of consultations over the withdrawal has left a scar."

For Europe's leaders, the manner of the American withdrawal - and Joe Biden's comments that the US would no longer send troops to "remake other countries" - has echoes of Donald Trump's "America First" policy.

The Afghanistan chaos comes on top of other simmering transatlantic rows, which are deepening the sense that Europe's warmth towards Joe Biden is cooling off. His administration's failure to fully lift Trump-era trade tariffs on European goods, his call to wave patents for Covid vaccines - again seemingly made without consultation with the EU - and his refusal to lift pandemic-related travel bans on EU countries have raised hackles.

The European Commission Vice President Margaritis Schinas says he's cancelled his planned trip to the United States next week "because I do not find the lack of reciprocity on travel rules fair". The EU has now removed the US from its travel "safe list": seen by some as an illustration of growing tensions.

"There was a time when the US talked about upholding the global order," says Carl Bildt.
"But that is not the language now coming out of the White House. Expectations for a revival of the transatlantic relationship have been deflated. And one is resigned to an America that does it its own way."

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Afghanistan crisis: How Europe's relationship with Joe Biden turned sour...BBC

But in capitals across Europe, from London to Berlin, Afghanistan has soured the sweetness of Joe Biden's honeymoon. It's not the fact of the withdrawal itself that has rankled but the US's lack of coordination with allies, particularly since the Nato mission at the time of the drawdown comprised troops from 36 countries, three-quarters of whom were non-American, leading to an international scramble to evacuate.

The German deployment in Afghanistan was its first major combat mission since World War II, so the frustration at how it ended runs deep. Armin Laschet, Germany's conservative candidate for chancellor ahead of elections later this month, called the US withdrawal "the greatest debacle that Nato has experienced since its foundation".

Czech President Milos Zeman labelled it "cowardice", adding that "the Americans have lost the prestige of a global leader".
"Expectations were very high when Joe Biden came in - probably too high, they were unrealistic," Carl Bildt, Sweden's former Prime Minister, told the BBC. "His 'America is back' suggested a golden age in our relations. But it didn't happen and there's been a shift in a fairly short period of time. The complete lack of consultations over the withdrawal has left a scar."

For Europe's leaders, the manner of the American withdrawal - and Joe Biden's comments that the US would no longer send troops to "remake other countries" - has echoes of Donald Trump's "America First" policy.

The Afghanistan chaos comes on top of other simmering transatlantic rows, which are deepening the sense that Europe's warmth towards Joe Biden is cooling off. His administration's failure to fully lift Trump-era trade tariffs on European goods, his call to wave patents for Covid vaccines - again seemingly made without consultation with the EU - and his refusal to lift pandemic-related travel bans on EU countries have raised hackles.

The European Commission Vice President Margaritis Schinas says he's cancelled his planned trip to the United States next week "because I do not find the lack of reciprocity on travel rules fair". The EU has now removed the US from its travel "safe list": seen by some as an illustration of growing tensions.

"There was a time when the US talked about upholding the global order," says Carl Bildt.
"But that is not the language now coming out of the White House. Expectations for a revival of the transatlantic relationship have been deflated. And one is resigned to an America that does it its own way."
In Biden's defense, he has no clue that any of this is going on. He is completely removed from reality at this point.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
And soon followed by coverage of them trying to ram a $3+ trillion giveaway down our throats, which is really closer to $5 trillion combining both giveaways.
Hilarious how this is only a problem when a democrat is in the WH. I don't think I heard a single peep for four years on government spending. But it's suddenly an issue again. What a coincidence!

Mar 11, 2006
Hilarious how this is only a problem when a democrat is in the WH. I don't think I heard a single peep for four years on government spending. But it's suddenly an issue again. What a coincidence!
There was a lot of bemoaning in news stories and on this board when Trump agreed to the 2018 budget.