The Biden Administration Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
The libs must just know they are going to get smoked in the midterms. Trying to shove this all through within 3 months of an election.
I have a hard time believing this will get passed. The Dems aren't insane - they know it opens up to the republicans doing the same thing in the future.
Didn't stop them before. It's why Republicans dominate the courts now. They only thought about the moment and not the future. Its what their entire agenda and policies are based on, the here and now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Jul 23, 2018
USA
Per Joe Manchin:
“I commit to you tonight, and I commit to all of your viewers and everyone else that’s watching. I want to allay those fears, I want to rest those fears for you right now because when they talk about whether it be packing the courts, or ending the filibuster, I will not vote to do that,” Manchin said in the interview. “I will not vote to pack the courts … and I will not vote to end the filibuster.”
If Joe has the same dogged resolve for this position that Nolaeer has for his Mountaineers, we're good. But, I have my doubts.

Jun 14, 2011
I have not seen an unqualified justice added to the Supreme Court. Former University of Notre Dame law professor where she routinely was recognized as a top professor, clerked for Scalia, a former circuit court judge. All this while also being a mother of seven children, one special needs, and two adopted children from Haiti.

How is she unqualified??????
You didn't address the bullshittery of not getting a Justice into office during the final 8 months of Obama's second term. To me, that was a massive dereliction of duty by the Senate. If they aren't going to do their jobs, I'm not getting into the stack of legislation that built up on Mitch's desk, what the hell are we doing here?

On ACB, while I don't personally like her or her ideals, she is not technically unqualified but is by far and away the least experienced judge on the court. A Supreme Court Justice nominee should be beyond reproach in qualifications and experience. Also, while the process by which she was nominated was completely legal and technically by the book, it was unbelievably shady considering McConnell's dealings with the previous Justice.

Regarding packing the courts, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I have no doubt if Democrats are successful in adding the additional Justices, the pendulum will swing the other way when the Republicans have control again. I think some sensible legislation on this topic would be prudent. First, lifetime appointments are beyond ridiculous, irregardless of politics. Make it a 10 or 15 year appointment, then stagger the years so that no one administration is able to completely flip things one way or the other. Also, I am actually ok with the number of seats on the Supreme Court matching the number of Appellate Courts and think that it should have been that way from the start. We have 13 Court of Appeals, it makes sense to match that number in Justices, in my personal opinion.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You do know the constitution has been changed numerous times right. I mean women and black people have the right to vote. I guess you think the founding fathers had it right and they shouldn’t have that right.
The original constitution did not deny anyone the right to vote. States came up with their own laws to deny people the right to vote, that's why the amendments.

Mar 11, 2006
You didn't address the bullshittery of not getting a Justice into office during the final 8 months of Obama's second term. To me, that was a massive dereliction of duty by the Senate. If they aren't going to do their jobs, I'm not getting into the stack of legislation that built up on Mitch's desk, what the hell are we doing here?

On ACB, while I don't personally like her or her ideals, she is not technically unqualified but is by far and away the least experienced judge on the court. A Supreme Court Justice nominee should be beyond reproach in qualifications and experience. Also, while the process by which she was nominated was completely legal and technically by the book, it was unbelievably shady considering McConnell's dealings with the previous Justice.

Regarding packing the courts, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I have no doubt if Democrats are successful in adding the additional Justices, the pendulum will swing the other way when the Republicans have control again. I think some sensible legislation on this topic would be prudent. First, lifetime appointments are beyond ridiculous, irregardless of politics. Make it a 10 or 15 year appointment, then stagger the years so that no one administration is able to completely flip things one way or the other. Also, I am actually ok with the number of seats on the Supreme Court matching the number of Appellate Courts and think that it should have been that way from the start. We have 13 Court of Appeals, it makes sense to match that number in Justices, in my personal opinion.
I addressed her qualifications. I was replying to a post saying she was an unqualified justice. I fail to see why McConnell not acting on Garland some how makes ACB unqualified.

Packing the courts is simply one of the stupidest ideas in recent congressional history (well the DC “statehood” power-grab is close). I am not opposed to justice terms, that makes sense, but adding more seats now so Dems can land four judges is looney. As I stated previously, and you realize as well, Republicans will simply add more seats when they are in power.

We even had a sitting US House of Representatives member, who sponsored the bill to pack the court, tweet today that “Supreme Court expansion is infrastructure”. This is just three days after another sitting US House of Representative said “we need to abolish the police and incarceration”.

The agenda we are seeing from Congress is not about making lives for Americans better, but about retaining power, taking away freedoms, or making lives less safe. I was hopeful about the Biden Administration, but the first 90-days seems more vindictive in agenda than hopeful.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I addressed her qualifications. I was replying to a post saying she was an unqualified justice. I fail to see why McConnell not acting on Garland some how makes ACB unqualified.

Packing the courts is simply one of the stupidest ideas in recent congressional history (well the DC “statehood” power-grab is close). I am not opposed to justice terms, that makes sense, but adding more seats now so Dems can land four judges is looney. As I stated previously, and you realize as well, Republicans will simply add more seats when they are in power.

We even had a sitting US House of Representatives member, who sponsored the bill to pack the court, tweet today that “Supreme Court expansion is infrastructure”. This is just three days after another sitting US House of Representative said “we need to abolish the police and incarceration”.

The agenda we are seeing from Congress is not about making lives for Americans better, but about retaining power, taking away freedoms, or making lives less safe. I was hopeful about the Biden Administration, but the first 90-days seems more vindictive in agenda than hopeful.
Justice Terms

I wonder if those in Congress who have proposed this would also support limiting the term of office for those who rule in Congress?

rule is currently a more accurate description than serve

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Justice Terms

I wonder if those in Congress who have proposed this would also support limiting the term of office for those who rule in Congress?

rule is currently a more accurate description than serve
While I don’t oppose term limits for congress, they do at least have to be elected and run for re-election, instead of being nominated for life.

Dec 11, 2011
How many in Congress/Senate would pass a (now hyper-partisan) confirmation process? I see that as a huge difference, regardless of the stance one takes on the lifetime appointment.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Without comment.
https://twitter.com/marksimoneny/status/1385679501770862593?s=21
Who gives a crap? I have an 8 year old that puts his mask on when he is getting his backpack and coat on for school. He wears it on the drive to school. Why? I don't know but it's part of his morning routine.

Are you are trying to insinuate that the President is losing his mental capabilities because he is wearing a mask in a public setting? Yeah it's just him in his location but obviously this is something that will be made public. And it's tweeted by someone who has a pretty clear agenda.

Yeah this is a bunch of weaksauce

Mar 11, 2006
Who gives a crap? I have an 8 year old that puts his mask on when he is getting his backpack and coat on for school. He wears it on the drive to school. Why? I don't know but it's part of his morning routine.

Are you are trying to insinuate that the President is losing his mental capabilities because he is wearing a mask in a public setting? Yeah it's just him in his location but obviously this is something that will be made public. And it's tweeted by someone who has a pretty clear agenda.

Yeah this is a bunch of weaksauce
Because Mark Simone tweeted it? Who cares? It is a funny picture...Mark Simone did not make the zoom pic. if you don’t find him wearing it silly then your partisan views are holding back your humor. Dude wore a mask when there was zero reason to. I know he is about window-dressing items, but it is still ridiculous.

And no I was not insinuating he was losing his mental capabilities...but interesting you think that.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Because Mark Simone tweeted it? Who cares? It is a funny picture...Mark Simone did not make the zoom pic. if you don’t find him wearing it silly then your partisan views are holding back your humor. Dude wore a mask when there was zero reason to. I know he is about window-dressing items, but it is still ridiculous.

And no I was not insinuating he was losing his mental capabilities...but interesting you think that.
My kid wears a mask in the truck every day going to school. The anti mask group makes fun of people who do that. Does that mean you think my child is a joke or has mental defects?

I'm guessing you don't. He's actually quite brilliant and I pushed masking last summer because I thought it would be a in school requirement and he bought in.

But honestly it isn't a funny picture unless you are trying to push an agenda. Masks aren't weird now so seeing a public figure wearing one is normal. If you see it as a joke so be it but the person that posted it does everything he can to make it looks like the election was stolen and Biden is a feeble person who is controlled by a liberal cable. Basically he is an extention of the Q push. So yeah with your political bias I could see how you think it's funny. But it really isn't.

Mar 11, 2006
]You know a lot more about Simone that me. I just grabbed a screenshot from the clearest tweet from Twitter - a lot of people have tweeted that similar screenshot. Maybe you prefer an article about it from the UK? Or a Yahoo article about Biden being the only world leader wearing a mask on zoom —it includes the same screenshot?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...iden-mask-climate-world-leaders-b1836459.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-only-world-leader-wear-125603598.html

It is absolutely pointless to wear a mask when no one is around. Biden is showing he cares less about science and more about window-dressing. Which is a little ironic at a climate change meeting.

If you want your child to wear a mask when he is by himself — thats your right as a parent. But bringing up your child to defend a silly action by Biden is ...unusual, but okay.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
]You know a lot more about Simone that me. I just grabbed a screenshot from the clearest tweet from Twitter - a lot of people have tweeted that similar screenshot. Maybe you prefer an article about it from the UK? Or a Yahoo article about Biden being the only world leader wearing a mask on zoom —it includes the same screenshot?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...iden-mask-climate-world-leaders-b1836459.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-only-world-leader-wear-125603598.html

It is absolutely pointless to wear a mask when no one is around. Biden is showing he cares less about science and more about window-dressing. Which is a little ironic at a climate change meeting.

If you want your child to wear a mask when he is by himself — thats your right as a parent. But bringing up your child to defend a silly action by Biden is ...unusual, but okay.
He also didn't have an American flag behind him. Most others had their flags behind them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
But honestly it isn't a funny picture unless you are trying to push an agenda. .
Actually the only reason I can see to wear a mask on a zoom call is to push an agenda. Either that or he is so confused he thinks it keeps him safe from the other participants, which might be the case at this point.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Actually the only reason I can see to wear a mask on a zoom call is to push an agenda. Either that or he is so confused he thinks it keeps him safe from the other participants, which might be the case at this point.
Are you saying wanting people to wear masks is pushing an agenda? I'm a little weird on it now. I'm fully vaccinated so I don't really see see point in me wearing one but if I roll into the grocery store or my kids cub scout meeting without one that's going to make people uncomfortable. Am I "pushing an agenda" or not being a dick?

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Are you saying wanting people to wear masks is pushing an agenda? I'm a little weird on it now. I'm fully vaccinated so I don't really see see point in me wearing one but if I roll into the grocery store or my kids cub scout meeting without one that's going to make people uncomfortable. Am I "pushing an agenda" or not being a dick?
I'm saying it's okay to show the ability to make a judgement call. It seems some are so desperate to keep up the mask push they wear them when it makes no sense. People in the store don't know if you've been vaccinated so it's a little different.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but you can have my hamburger when you pry it from my cold, dead, greasy, fingers.

1619353726024.png

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
https://twitter.com/marksimoneny/status/1385679501770862593?s=21
They really do all have their flags behind them except for Biden. Well France has a white flag in their space which is appropriate, but these details don't just happen by accident.