The Biden Administration Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Desantis is a modern day authoriatarian leaning conservative, not to be confused with a small government guy. He is a better polished trump, no wonder you like him.
Laugh my f#@Cking ass off. I'm sorry soyjack but the days of nominating soft c#@ks like McCain and Romney (who you called Nazi's) are over and you can only blame yourselves.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
Desantis is a modern day authoriatarian leaning conservative, not to be confused with a small government guy. He is a better polished trump, no wonder you like him.
What evidence do you have of that?

DeSantis became popular because of NOT being authoritarian. He famously pushed back on mandates and governmental overstep. You may have disagreed with his approach, but it was the opposite of authoritarian.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Laugh my f#@Cking ass off. I'm sorry soyjack but the days of nominating soft c#@ks like McCain and Romney (who you called Nazi's) are over and you can only blame yourselves.
Haha what? In what universe were McCain and Romney small government types?

Seriously, do you even pay attention, or are you too busy moving from one outrage to another?

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL

DeSantis became popular because of NOT being authoritarian. He famously pushed back on mandates and governmental overstep. You may have disagreed with his approach, but it was the opposite of authoritarian.
He didn't want Kindergartners to be groomed by their teachers and get this...USED THE GOVERNMENT TO STOP IT!

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

DeSantis didn't stop government mask mandates, he mandated that no business COULD force customers to wear masks in their own, private establishments. That is every bit a government overreach as a mask mandate. People should have the right to make divisions for themselves and how they want to run their private enterprises.

He also pulled funding from Disney and the Tampa Bay Rays because of political statements made by members of both organizations he personally disagreed with. Blatantly using government as means to retaliate against people or organizations that he doesn't like.

He also has implemented a poll tax, banned books and conversations from happening in his state. He is a big government authoritarian.

I'm not surprised you can't accurately identify him as one though.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

Seriously, do you even pay attention, or are you too busy moving from one outrage to another?
Nobody said they were small government types, they were nice little Republicans that rolled over and got their butts kicked. Those days are gone, I hope.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL

I didn't say they were "small government" The verbiage I chose was: "soft c#@ks". I also never said DeSantis was a "small government guy". He is a much more polished and generally better in all ways version of Trump.
What I'm saying and you aren't getting is: The days of trotting out limp noodle republicans who refuse to fight back in any meaningful way are over. Desantis will fight back and YES if that means he has to use the power of the government to do it he will. Why shouldn't he? Dems do it all the EFFING time.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
DeSantis didn't stop government mask mandates, he mandated that no business COULD force customers to wear masks in their own, private establishments. That is every bit a government overreach as a mask mandate.

He also pulled funding from Disney and the Tampa Bay Rays because of political statements made by members of both organizations he personally disagreed with.

He also has implemented a poll tax, banned books and conversations from happening in his state. He is a big government authoritarian.

I'm not surprised you can't accurately identify him as one though.
Do you truly believe what you just wrote? Or are you really that badly misinformed? Have you been to Florida recently?

DeSantis signed an order that stated that businesses cannot be forced to have a mask mandate --- not that private businesses could not require customers to have a mask? Did you really think he did that?

And poll tax? What are you talking about there?

It is certainly okay and fine that you don't want to vote for DeSantis. But at least if you are going to post about your opposition --- have the correct information. Stop reading and watching just strongly biased "news" sources.

Last edited:

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Do you truly believe what you just wrote? Or are you really that badly misinformed? Have you been to Florida recently?

DeSantis signed an order that stated that businesses cannot be forced to have a mask mandate --- not that private businesses could not require customers to have a mask? Did you really think he did that?

And poll tax? What are you talking about there?

Stop reading and watching just strongly biased "news" sources.
DeSantis passed signed a bill that significantly restricts private employers abilities to mandate vaccination as a condition of employment...requiring any private employer with a vaccine mandate to provide exemptions so broad as to gut any ability of a private employer to mandate vaccinations. The mandated exemptions include the employee having "health concerns" about the vaccine. So basically, the mandated exemption includes the employee just not wanting to get it.

IMO, he's a strong "states' rights" guy....not a particularly strong "individual rights" guy. He doesn't hesitate to prohibit local and municipal governments from enacting things he disagrees with at the state level.

IMO those types of guys can be just as "authoritarian" as any strong federal government advocates....they just want the authority to be with them instead of the feds.

As for the "poll tax" comment, he's probably talking about SB 7066 and it's affect on recently re-enfranchised convicted felons under Florida citizen's ballot initiative Amendment 4 of 2018. I wouldn't characterize what SB 7066 explicitly a "poll tax", but I can understand why some might. And this comment isn't an indication one way or the other whether I think it's good policy or not.

Last edited:

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I didn't say they were "small government" The verbiage I chose was: "soft c#@ks". I also never said DeSantis was a "small government guy". He is a much more polished and generally better in all ways version of Trump.
What I'm saying and you aren't getting is: The days of trotting out limp noodle republicans who refuse to fight back in any meaningful way are over. Desantis will fight back and YES if that means he has to use the power of the government to do it he will. Why shouldn't he? Dems do it all the EFFING time.
Because it is literally the opposite of a foundational principal of conservatism. Do you understand that?

This is why a lot of people are no longer with the party. It left them, not the other way around.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
DeSantis passed signed a bill that significantly restricts private employers abilities to mandate vaccination as a condition of employment...requiring any private employer with a vaccine mandate to provide exemptions so broad as to gut any ability of a private employer to mandate vaccinations. The mandated exemptions include the employee having "health concerns" about the vaccine. So basically, the mandated exemption includes the employee just not wanting to get it.

IMO, he's a strong "states' rights" guy....not a particularly strong "individual rights" guy. He doesn't hesitate to prohibit local and municipal governments from enacting things he disagrees with at the state level.

IMO those types of guys can be just as "authoritarian" as any strong federal government advocates....they just want the authority to be with them instead of the feds.
I am not sure how that example can be described as authoritarian. Especially in the context of what that law was in response.

Remember, Biden imposed an Executive Order (Sep 2021) that vaccinations must occur for federal employees. It was also being moved and interpreted at the time to potentially effect companies taking federal dollars (which is a lot of companies). Many private companies in turn created internal policies because of their work with federal dollars. Biden did not sign a bill that went through the legislative process --- he made an authoritative executive order.

DeSantis signed a law (Nov 2021) that was written and approved by the Florida legislature. He did not make an executive order. The law provided that employers must give employees the right to opt-out due to medical or religious reason (I would hope that most understand that is reasonable and the right thing to do and appreciate protecting individual freedoms). The law was definitely in direct response to the executive order. Florida had a shortage of first-responders and this law helped many to get back in their jobs (one hospital had over 100 employees return after the Florida law)

NOTE: I would definitely would not label Biden's EO negatively as authoritarian. We were still deep in the pandemic and he was making decisions at a time of national crisis.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I am not sure how that example can be described as authoritarian. Especially in the context of what that law was in response.

Remember, Biden imposed an Executive Order (Sep 2021) that vaccinations must occur for federal employees. It was also being moved and interpreted at the time to potentially effect companies taking federal dollars (which is a lot of companies). Many private companies in turn created internal policies because of their work with federal dollars. Biden did not sign a bill that went through the legislative process --- he made an authoritative executive order.

DeSantis signed a law (Nov 2021) that was written and approved by the Florida legislature. He did not make an executive order. The law provided that employers must give employees the right to opt-out due to medical or religious reason (I would hope that most understand that is reasonable and the right thing to do and appreciate protecting individual freedoms). The law was definitely in direct response to the executive order. Florida had a shortage of first-responders and this law helped many to get back in their jobs (one hospital had over 100 employees return after the Florida law)

NOTE: I would definitely would not label Biden's EO negatively as authoritarian. We were still deep in the pandemic and he was making decisions at a time of national crisis.
You can’t see how a law which Desantis advocated for and signed that prohibits private employers from mandating their private employees be vaccinated as a condition of employment…which is what it did with the way it was written making the mandated exceptions as broad as they did…as authoritarian?

You don’t see how precluding health directives and laws at the more local town/municipal level as authoritarian?

Lol…okay.

Don’t know what else say….except…ok.

I was against mandated vaccines at the Federal level. I’m equally against this type of mandate at the State level.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
You can’t see how a law which Desantis advocated for and signed that prohibits private employers from mandating their private employees be vaccinated as a condition of employment…which is what it did with the way it was written making the mandated exceptions as broad as they did…as authoritarian?

You don’t see how precluding health directives and laws at the more local town/municipal level as authoritarian?

Lol…okay.

Don’t know what else say….except wow.

I was against mandated vaccines at the Federal level. I’m equally against this type of mandate at the State level.
You should say wow. He also never “mandated that no business COULD force customers to wear masks in their own, private establishments”.

But you do you. False and made-up statements do sound more ominous.

Edit: So if you believe DeSantis was authoritarian for signing a law written by legislatures that allowed for exceptions and designed to provide freedoms for individuals, I assume you believe Biden was super-authoritarian for making a one-person Executive Order that had very few exceptions?

Last edited:

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You should say wow. He also never “mandated that no business COULD force customers to wear masks in their own, private establishments”.

But you do you. False and made-up statements do sound more ominous.
Now you‘re calling me out for “false and made-up” statements that I didn’t make or defend.

Which is one of your regular go-tos.

Cool.

Just you doing you, too….I guess.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Edit: So if you believe DeSantis was authoritarian for signing a law written by legislatures that allowed for exceptions and designed to provide freedoms for individuals, I assume you believe Biden was super-authoritarian for making a one-person Executive Order that had very few exceptions?
Yeah, it absolutely was an overtly authoritarian and excessive use of executive order power that usurped the separation of powers and authority of Congress to make laws.

And lol at your characterization minimizing DeSantis’s role in the laws passage and your characterization of providing “freedoms to individuals”. Employers…even corporate employers….are individuals under law as well.

These types of decisions regarding the terms of employment between a private employer and a private employee should be left up to the market. Don’t want to comply with the terms and conditions of continued employment. Go find another job.

Last edited:

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
Now you‘re calling me out for “false and made-up” statements that I didn’t make or defend.

Which is one of your regular go-tos.

Cool.

Just you doing you, too….I guess.
Yep. Looks like I made an error. You quoted my reply to another poster and I was incorrectly thinking you originally made the false statement.
My bad.

May 31, 2007
Concord
Because it is literally the opposite of a foundational principal of conservatism. Do you understand that?

This is why a lot of people are no longer with the party. It left them, not the other way around.
R’s never practice conservatism once they actually have power. Even their hero Reagan didn’t. At the end of the day, the only thing I think R’s care about is serving the NRA’s bidding, the MIC, big business, and banning abortion.