The Biden Administration Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It is a gimmick. Prices have gone up by several dollars, and they're going to take the government's hand out of the cookie jar temporarily to the tune of .20-.25. Our saviors!
Oh come on, they're 'CHANGING PEOPLE'S LIVES!!!'

And, once again, they're trailing on the issue and scrambling to do anything now. Multiple states beat them to the punch on suspending gas taxes.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
It is a gimmick. Prices have gone up by several dollars, and they're going to take the government's hand out of the cookie jar temporarily to the tune of .20-.25. Our saviors!
Democrats solution to every problem, throw more money at it, buy more votes.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Oh come on, they're 'CHANGING PEOPLE'S LIVES!!!'

And, once again, they're trailing on the issue and scrambling to do anything now. Multiple states beat them to the punch on suspending gas taxes.
They (both sides) are always trailing on the issues because the issues don't really affect the career politicians. They have to get polling data from outside DC to know what really is an issue before they can pander to the masses. The party not in power is attacking on every little issue, so when an issue does blow up it appears they were on it all along.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Biden to call for 3-month suspension of gas and diesel taxes apnews

President Joe Biden on Wednesday will call on Congress to suspend federal gasoline and diesel taxes for three months — a move meant to ease financial pressures at the pump that also reveals the political toxicity of high gas prices in an election year.

The Democratic president will also call on states to suspend their own gas taxes or provide similar relief, the White House said.

At issue is the 18.4 cents-a-gallon federal tax on gas and the 24.4 cents-a-gallon federal tax on diesel fuel. If the gas savings were fully passed along to consumers, people would save roughly 3.6% at the pump when prices are averaging about $5 a gallon nationwide.

But many economists and lawmakers from both parties view the idea of a gas tax holiday with skepticism.

Barack Obama, during the 2008 presidential campaign, called the idea a “gimmick” that allowed politicians to “say that they did something.” He also warned that oil companies could offset the tax relief by increasing their prices.

Biden energy adviser Amos Hochstein pushed back on Wednesday, saying consumers could save about 50 cents per gallon if Congress and the states heed the president’s call.

“That’s not a gimmick,” Hochstein, senior adviser for global energy security at the State Department, said on CNN. “That’s a little bit of breathing room for the American people as we get into the summer driving season.”
Soooooo every time we've had inflated fuel prices I distinctly remember the govt dumping millions (and millions?) of gallons of federal reserve fuel in to the market to lower the prices... but I haven't heard any news of this occurring this time. Is it because we don't have a built up reserve currently??? OR Biden just didn't do it? OR did it happen and it just didn't get broadcast because it didn't even put a dent in the prices???

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Soooooo every time we've had inflated fuel prices I distinctly remember the govt dumping millions (and millions?) of gallons of federal reserve fuel in to the market to lower the prices... but I haven't heard any news of this occurring this time. Is it because we don't have a built up reserve currently??? OR Biden just didn't do it? OR did it happen and it just didn't get broadcast because it didn't even put a dent in the prices???
The last one. It got broadcast but it didn’t do anything

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
They (both sides) are always trailing on the issues because the issues don't really affect the career politicians. They have to get polling data from outside DC to know what really is an issue before they can pander to the masses. The party not in power is attacking on every little issue, so when an issue does blow up it appears they were on it all along.
The supply chain/inflation issues were apparent a year ago, and were snickered about and dismissed as what you're saying by this administration.

The likelihood of a new variant after Delta was there last fall. It just was. And we somehow got caught flat-footed without tests a year and a half into the pandemic because, again, 'nobody saw it coming.'

I fully understand the sentiment you're expressing, and I largely agree with it. That can be true, but it can also be true that they've truly sucked at anticipating and developing any coherent plan for these situations until after the fact. When the pattern becomes constantly having to reframe conflicting claims between the President and members of his administration (see payments to detained illegals, vehement denial by Biden, then acknowledgement of the plan and scrapping it), it's clearly a house that's internally divided and rudderless.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Democrats solution to every problem, throw more money at it, buy more votes.
You’re normally all for returning taxes back to the people….tax cut, tax rebates, whatever.

The reason for your inconsistency regarding this cutting and temporary cessation of taxes is glaringly obvious.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
You’re normally all for returning taxes back to the people….tax cut, tax rebates, whatever.

The reason for your inconsistency regarding this cutting and temporary cessation of taxes is glaringly obvious.
Strange that a Republican would be against less taxes right?...

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Strange that a Republican would be against less taxes right?...
I mean sure it’s a gimmick, but yeah….kind of shocked by Cim having a problem with having to pay less taxes.

Sure it’s a gimmick….and I would bet Cim railed against Obama when he declined to do the same thing and called it a gimmick.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Biden to call for 3-month suspension of gas and diesel taxes apnews

President Joe Biden on Wednesday will call on Congress to suspend federal gasoline and diesel taxes for three months — a move meant to ease financial pressures at the pump that also reveals the political toxicity of high gas prices in an election year.

The Democratic president will also call on states to suspend their own gas taxes or provide similar relief, the White House said.

At issue is the 18.4 cents-a-gallon federal tax on gas and the 24.4 cents-a-gallon federal tax on diesel fuel. If the gas savings were fully passed along to consumers, people would save roughly 3.6% at the pump when prices are averaging about $5 a gallon nationwide.

But many economists and lawmakers from both parties view the idea of a gas tax holiday with skepticism.

Barack Obama, during the 2008 presidential campaign, called the idea a “gimmick” that allowed politicians to “say that they did something.” He also warned that oil companies could offset the tax relief by increasing their prices.

Biden energy adviser Amos Hochstein pushed back on Wednesday, saying consumers could save about 50 cents per gallon if Congress and the states heed the president’s call.

“That’s not a gimmick,” Hochstein, senior adviser for global energy security at the State Department, said on CNN. “That’s a little bit of breathing room for the American people as we get into the summer driving season.”
Obama was right. It's a gimmick and refiners will see it as a way to boost profits. It will drop prices maybe a dime a gallon but the difference will be something that corporate America shows shareholders as 3rd quarter profits. And I'm not arguing against what they are doing. It's an industry that lost billions two years ago so cutting everyday Americans a small break while giving investors good news is a win win. But it isn't going to put much money back in people's pockets.

Dec 9, 2013
Obama was right. It's a gimmick and refiners will see it as a way to boost profits. It will drop prices maybe a dime a gallon but the difference will be something that corporate America shows shareholders as 3rd quarter profits. And I'm not arguing against what they are doing. It's an industry that lost billions two years ago so cutting everyday Americans a small break while giving investors good news is a win win. But it isn't going to put much money back in people's pockets.
Today and for the foreseeable short term the only way out of a supply/demand equation is to either (boost supply or have demand destruction). We ain’t boosting supply fast enough due to several constraining factors so the only thing left is to take demand out of the equation. That means slowing down the economy and taking miles off the highways.

For a variety of reasons I think the gas tax holiday is a poorly thought through plan.

High gas prices suck. Energy execs will tell you extremely high energy prices suck. This will not discourage people from burning gas and unfortunately that’s where we are. We need people to think twice before mowing their lawn or driving back into town for ice cream. We need people to figure out how to condense trips or share rides. I can appreciate people trying to figure things out but I don’t think this one is it. Just my 18 cents.