Thanksgiving weekend big 12 games

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2005
So we win out, KSU beats Texas, WVU beats ISU. It’s ISU vs OSU right? Or we win out, ISU wins out, and OU loses to WVU. So your telling me there’s a chance!

Nov 14, 2010
It's more most likely Iowa State makes the Conference Championship game.

That removes even more excuses for Gundy loyalists

Now Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, Iowa State, OU and Texas have all played in the game or won the Big 12 since OSU has.

That puts us with Texas Tech. West Virginia and yes Kansas in terms of not being able to win the Big 12 or at least make the game.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Point differential in the games that featured the teams tied with each other.

I think that's correct?

In which we got the crap beat out of us by OU so we lose that tie break.
Would that just settle the first tie breaker? Because then OU would get in, and then if they revert back to head to head, we would get in over ISU. Or would we be eliminated based on the worst point differential? Seems like I have seen it both ways.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't have the energy to do the calculous necessary to see what I should want in other conference games. Texas lost, they aren't going to the Big 12 championship. That's a good thing.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I also don’t have much confidence in KSU beating Texas. At very least I’d rather it be ISU/ou than ut/ou for champ game
Maybe ISU winning the Big 12 championship would be the catalyst for Matt Campbell to get an upgrade in coaching jobs and ISU will slip back into obscurity.
Why? Gundy beats him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
He was wrong after Bedlam and mentions it here. He's also still wrong in this one too. In the paragraph where he starts "So the next tiebreaker..." he states that OU is in because they beat Texas (4th place tie-breaking team). But in his own scenario ISU just defeated Texas so they would be ahead of OSU when comparing to Texas.

Nov 14, 2010
Would that just settle the first tie breaker? Because then OU would get in, and then if they revert back to head to head, we would get in over ISU. Or would we be eliminated based on the worst point differential? Seems like I have seen it both ways.
We would have the worst point differential between the 3 teams so we would lose that tie breaker if it came down to it.

This is why punting instead of trying to score, letting OU go 99, throwing fade routes to our Tight End, and punting in 4 of our last 5 possessions against Iowa State all mattered.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
We would have the worst point differential between the 3 teams so we would lose the tie breaker.

This is why punting instead of trying to score, letting OU go 99, throwing fade routes to our Tight End all mattered
Scoring differential is not in play until the 3rd tiebreaking step.

Step 1 in a multi-team tie is head-to-head.
Step 2 is to compare records of (in this case) the 3 tied teams to the 4th place team (most likely Texas or K-State).
Step 3 is scoring differential among the tied teams.

Assuming ISU loses to WVU and OU and OSU win out.... All 3 are tied.

If K-State were to upset Texas for the 4th spot ISU and OSU would advance because OU lost to K-State.
If Texas wins over K-State ISU and OU would advance because OSU lost to Texas.

Nov 14, 2010
I'll guarantee you when Lincoln Riley kept the pedal to the metal abs OU went 99 yards to score, Riley knew that point differential is one of the tie breakers.

I'd be shocked if Gundy has even thought about tie breakers.

If he had it makes punting down 21 at the OU 38 even dumber.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
"The only way Iowa State can miss the Big XII title game is if they lose to West Virginia; Oklahoma wins out over Baylor and West Virginia; Oklahoma State wins out against Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor; Texas loses out to Kansas and Kansas State; and Kansas State beating Texas while losing to Baylor. If all of those things happen, then the Cyclones will miss out."

https://www.siouxlandproud.com/spor...ace-in-big-xii-standings-with-win-over-texas/

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
"The only way Iowa State can miss the Big XII title game is if they lose to West Virginia; Oklahoma wins out over Baylor and West Virginia; Oklahoma State wins out against Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor; Texas loses out to Kansas and Kansas State; and Kansas State beating Texas while losing to Baylor. If all of those things happen, then the Cyclones will miss out."

https://www.siouxlandproud.com/spor...ace-in-big-xii-standings-with-win-over-texas/
another year another missed opportunity to make it to the CCG.