Thank You, Rob Glass

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So its worth a shout out to Coach Glass.
If you watch the end of the game last two 0U drives, C Williams is gassed. Really impacted his play.
But our Defense that had been chasing him all night would not give out.
Harper never quit.
Oliver crawled on hands and knees to make the last sack.

But also credit Gundy. We didn't call any time outs in the last drive. Lots of coaches would call a TO to regroup the defense but Gundy let it go knowing that 0U was gassed and our Defense still had some life in them.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Harpers play on Williams on the fourth down prior to their last one was equally as impressive as Oliver's army crawl...both those guys deserve major kudos. Williams whiffed on him in the backfield then got up and chased him down from behind preventing the first down...was a thing of beauty. We all saw what Oliver did...equally impressive. I'd just like us to not be in the position to make defensive stops to win this next game...would rather we have a comfortable lead...otherwise I might die of yelling too loud or pass out. The Champion Game needs to be a celebration of victory rather than a big struggle...not sure I can handle another one of those back to back.

Thanks Rob Glass...Our guys show up in the fourth quarter when other teams are spent....This is a well trained physical unit.

Nov 18, 2010
Feel like someone should also mention the players have chosen to push themselves and get into great shape. And the rotations/substitutions on defense is also making it possible for us to have more energy at the ends of games. All of these things combined have made this season possible.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
And I want to restate the good coaching decision not to call a TO while on defense. Don't stop the clock !!!
So frustrating to see in games where the TO benefits the offense that doesn't have a TO left just to set up your defense.

Gundy trusted the physical conditioning of the Defense and their mental capacity to be in the right positions to make plays.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Interesting timing of this topic. Here's something I pulled from an OU board today from someone allegedly "in the know". Makes me appreciate more what we have in front of us.

Behind the Scenes | The Structure Was Not Sound
– Charlie S – Posted on: November 29, 2021

In an attempt to walk you through some of the history of Riley’s failed tenure in Oklahoma (yes, it was a fail as he did not elevate the program to a higher point on the field than it was when he got here) I thought it would be good to start with one of the first cracks we stumbled on.

The strength and conditioning program note that K dropped HERE three years ago is a good place to start.

K wrote:

‘I have just confirmed with a source that OU assistant S&C coach, Mahala Wiggins is no longer with the program. While some of you may not be familiar with Wiggins, he was also an assistant S&C coach at Oklahoma during the final few years of the Schmitty era.

The reason this departure is significant is because Mahala is one of the most well liked and respected S&C staff members, especially amongst the players. This is a widely known fact throughout the program. As such, there is little doubt that this departure must sting for quite a few of the players and members of the staff.’

That was not a lot to go on, and to be perfectly blunt, we did not know how to further address it without throwing sources under the bus and casting what was perhaps a premature shadow over the program…so we left it as it was. Right or wrong, in our opinion, that was the best path to take.

When you all questioned us about the reasoning behind Mahala’s departure, we left it pretty vanilla and described it as ‘philosophical differences’. A more accurate description would have been “Mahala wanted to hold the players accountable and Wylie and he did not see eye to eye on how to go about that”.

Mahala was Schmittys right-hand man and he was used to doing things a certain way and when players were not doing the right things, they would pay for it through the strength and conditioning program. The old regime in S&C was not interested in being friends with the players, they were interested in doing their job and producing results.

We picked up notes about a lack of accountability very early on. Kids would come in late, come in and give little effort, or not even show up at all for different events.

Whether it was a missed team meeting, a skipped offseason workout, or even basic academic issues…there were multiple occasions where players we not held accountable by the S&C staff.

Remember, the S&C staff spends vastly more time with the players than any other coach. The foundation of the program is built at that point.

We heard of incidences where certain players slept through workouts and nothing happened. Like, nothing. They pretended it didn’t happen and just went on with the business as usual. There were different standards for different players.

As I said on the podcast, Schmittys guys loved when the season got there because the offseason was so difficult. You never once got that feeling under Rileys’ tenure.

The structural flaws were showing. The play on the field showed it and it was only going to get worse. This year, the University of Oklahoma was fortunate to win games against Tulane and Kansas…and suffered losses to Baylor and Oklahoma State! For Pete’s sake, Tulane looked like a bigger and stronger team than the University of Oklahoma and Baylor and Oklahoma State had players who looked much better than OU’s players in the eye test. You just cannot deny that.

In regards to Mahala, things came to a head when he was setting up a session with a star player who was on the team at the time. The player missed a number of events. Mahala was going to put him through some paces and was stopped by Wylie from going through with the session. It was at that time that the split happened and Mahala left the program for good. Philosophical difference of opinions.

Wylie was Rileys guy. Mahala was not. Wylie is now USC’s issue

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Remember early in the season when we were stumbling and this board was full of doom and gloom…. Some chuckle-head said we should re-evaluate RG due to the amount of injuries we have. :D

Nov 6, 2010
Remember early in the season when we were stumbling and this board was full of doom and gloom…. Some chuckle-head said we should re-evaluate RG due to the amount of injuries we have. :D
Hindsight is always 20/20, but you have to admit the rash of injuries we had at WR was bizarre.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Hindsight is always 20/20, but you have to admit the rash of injuries we had at WR was bizarre.
It also to me at least never seemed to be a conditioning issue, and much more an issue with accidents in practice.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
Injury prevention is a LARGE part of strength and conditioning. I still think we had a bit of a bug early on but I'll concede that he's proven me wrong this year. That said, you can't discredit injury prevention in strength and conditioning. I've got a Master's Degree in Kinesiology and I've been a D2 assistant. I'm not totally ignorant.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Injury prevention is a LARGE part of strength and conditioning. I still think we had a bit of a bug early on but I'll concede that he's proven me wrong this year. That said, you can't discredit injury prevention in strength and conditioning. I've got a Master's Degree in Kinesiology and I've been a D2 assistant. I'm not totally ignorant.
I suppose it would depend on what type of "injury" we talking about, correct? I mean, with something like a hamstring, quad, shoulder, etc. I definitely agree with your comment. However, I don't really see where any amount of S&C will prevent a broken/fractured bone, separated shoulder, etc. If I'm off base with that, please tell me where because I'm all ears on learning more about this stuff.

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
I suppose it would depend on what type of "injury" we talking about, correct? I mean, with something like a hamstring, quad, shoulder, etc. I definitely agree with your comment. However, I don't really see where any amount of S&C will prevent a broken/fractured bone, separated shoulder, etc. If I'm off base with that, please tell me where because I'm all ears on learning more about this stuff.
Correct. Muscular injuries are related to conditioning. Broken bones are generally not.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I don’t think the phrase “Hindsight is 20/20” is relevant here. Glass is one of the most highly regarded S&C coaches in the country. It’s not like looking back on this one season proved his relevance. He is consistently taking lower rated recruits and building them up to be stars.

Yes there were a lot of injuries but sometimes things just happen like that.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not saying that at all. I’m just protective of my guy. He’s one of the top S&C guys in the country, loyal and true.
My understanding of injuries are largely based on 3 factors.
1. Genetics: some people are predisposition to get injured easier than others. Based on the individual anatomy, Some people are far less likely to get injured, and or recover faster.
2. Condition. Is your body in an optimal position to be able to prevent, withstand, or recover quickly from injuries
3. Situational factors surrounding the injury.

All of them can be contributing factors or one can completely outweigh the two. In the words of the great Ron White, “if you get hit with a Volvo, it doesn’t matter how many sit-ups you did that day.”

So I understand where you would look to isolate the second variable, given you’re dealing with a bunch of injuries, different anatomies, and different situations. I just think that after 37 years of excellence and being considered an expert in the field, he’s earned the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he’s doing.

Sometimes bad stuff happens and sometimes it happens all at once and there isn’t necessarily a rhyme or reason to it.