Texas opening line

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Good write up except I'd argue last week was a bigger test.
I agree, but outside of the Big 12, I still don't think Iowa State really moves the needle much yet, like Kstate early under Snyder, to the outsider. Everyone in the Big 12 knows you'd better be ready for them & that they could beat anyone in conference on a given day, but they take a couple of pretty bad losses every year, too.

Jan 14, 2006
I agree, but outside of the Big 12, I still don't think Iowa State really moves the needle much yet, like Kstate early under Snyder, to the outsider. Everyone in the Big 12 knows you'd better be ready for them & that they could beat anyone in conference on a given day, but they take a couple of pretty bad losses every year, too.
Good point. Beating UT and OU will do more for national perception despite the fact that ISU and KState are probably better teams.

Of course, beating all 4 is preferred.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Good point. Beating UT and OU will do more for national perception despite the fact that ISU and KState are probably better teams.

Of course, beating all 4 is preferred.
It's Baylor & TCU, so nobody cares & has forgotten it, but they got screwed by the committee in '14 because they weren't OU or Texas. TCU was #3 going into the last week of the regular season, beat ISU 55-3, & dropped to #6. This was when the CFP told the Big 12 that the 13th data point mattered so much. Had it been OU or Texas, no way in hell that happens, but like us in '11, the football world just marched on & forgot about it.

It'll be interesting to see how the CFP treats a tOSU team this season if they do wind up playing 2 or 3 less games than other contenders. I'll be shocked if tOSU doesn't get a pass on missing data points.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
It's Baylor & TCU, so nobody cares & has forgotten it, but they got screwed by the committee in '14 because they weren't OU or Texas. TCU was #3 going into the last week of the regular season, beat ISU 55-3, & dropped to #6. This was when the CFP told the Big 12 that the 13th data point mattered so much. Had it been OU or Texas, no way in hell that happens, but like us in '11, the football world just marched on & forgot about it.

It'll be interesting to see how the CFP treats a tOSU team this season if they do wind up playing 2 or 3 less games than other contenders. I'll be shocked if tOSU doesn't get a pass on missing data points.
Unfortunately the committee changes their criteria each year.
No way they put weight on # data points this year which works in BIG and PAC favor.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Herman: 28-17 overall (10 of those wins in 2018)
19-12 Big 12 overall

Since '18 Sugar Bowl win over UGA: 13-7 overall
7-6 Big 12

There's no spinning or sugarcoating those #'s.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Unfortunately the committee changes their criteria each year.
No way they put weight on # data points this year which works in BIG and PAC favor.
This year's committee:

Arizona State*Paola Boivin
R.C. Slocum
Arkansas StateTerry Mohajir
Colorado*Rick George FloridaScott Stricklin
Georgia TechTodd Stansbury
Iowa*Gary Barta
North Carolina StateRay Odierno
OklahomaJoe Castiglione
Texas A&MR.C. Slocum
Wyoming*Tom Burman

It's worth noting that the B1G & PAC12 policies call a game a no contest if it can't be played. B1G is also requiring at least 6 games played in order to be eligible for the B1G CG.

Jan 14, 2006
Anybody else concerned with all the craziness going on in Austin? I'm slightly concerned that this will be one of those games where all the drama brings a team together and they come out fighting.

I still think it's our game to win or lose though.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Anybody else concerned with all the craziness going on in Austin? I'm slightly concerned that this will be one of those games where all the drama brings a team together and they come out fighting.
Perhaps, because we know UT's always got talent, backs against the wall, etc...

I'd add that we've seen these scenarios go the other way, too.

I have no doubt that we'll have to play well to win, but I also think they'll give us help in the form of TO's & penalties, like they've done all year long.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country

I still think it's our game to win or lose though.
Yes. One of about 9 things I'm worried about for this game. But thanks for asking.

I have no doubt that we'll have to play well to win, but I also think they'll give us help in the form of TO's & penalties, like they've done all year long.
This is what my subconscious is quietly whispering in one ear.

Unfortunately, my osu Fandom is screaming @osucowboy79's question in my other ear.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

If UT gets down early, their players are going to quit. They already have two losses and that is what has happened since Mac Brown left.

Oct 30, 2007
Mike Yurcich has quietly done a good job at Texas. They're 6th in the country in scoring averaging 45 PPG. Our defense is good, but we're going to have to put up some points tomorrow. We can't go in complacent and play not to lose. That will get us beat.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Mike Yurcich has quietly done a good job at Texas. They're 6th in the country in scoring averaging 45 PPG. Our defense is good, but we're going to have to put up some points tomorrow. We can't go in complacent and play not to lose. That will get us beat.
If you take out the 4th quarters (and OTs) of the OU/TTech game, they aren't close to relevant in national scoring. But, you're still right.

Nov 18, 2010
The song issue is still going on. After the Red River game, only Ehlinger and the coaches stayed out for playing it after the game. The AD put out a statement saying all players were expected to stand for it, the BOR said it would remain the school song. The band has refused to play it now.
I posted a photo of that moment, right after it happened, but Snuffy deleted it. It was a big deal and most definitely affects OSU. It was a powerful image.

I can't help but think Texas losing their top rated QB is related. They're all blaming the coach, but if I'm an QB recruit and I see the Texas QB out there by himself with zero teammate support, I'm thinking hard about whether or not I want to go to that school.

I can tell you the next game had half the normal pages on the surly game thread. Fans saw that and became less interested in the team. The next week, the team stood out there, but some players protested. Their team chemistry has got to be a mess right now.

Last edited: