Texas GOP votes to not recognize Biden as POTUS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
We certainly know there are three SCOTUS Justices that would almost surely vote to overturn Obergfell because there is no substantive right to marriage amongst individuals of the same sex to bother giving equal protection to.

We also know that there are at least three other SCOTUS Justices that are seemingly in agreement with Alito's draft opinion that there is no substantive right to any abortion to bother giving equal protection to.

We also know that there are political parties and sitting legislators that are on the record advocating for taking action to get such a possibility in front of those SCOTUS Justices.
It’s going to happen. Especially if an R wins the WH in 24. Once Roe is overturned the culture war which is really what they seem to be honing in on will need a different satan to defeat. They will need something to run against for the 26 midterms. Traditional marriage will be what they need to “defend.”

Thanks for posting Alito’s Obergefell and Dobbs language. It’s almost like his clerk used the copy/paste function The only thing that makes me think there’s a chance it won’t be returned to the states is the difficulty it would cause if a same sex couple is married in NY but their company transfers them to TX. In addition what happens in TX to all same sex couples who are married? How do you unwind all of the property issues, wills/trusts and even adoptions?

Maybe that is where the history/tradition part comes back into play.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I don't see banning same sex marriage as having the same heavy emotional appeal with far right conservatives as banning abortion in most states. But as time goes on, it will be interesting to see to what extent Oklahomans will want to submit to the prohibitive laws these Christian right conservatives want passed, if they can actually get them passed, such as bans on birth control.

The Christian Right demand the Ten Commandments be posted in all schools. In my opinion, that is inappropriate and should only be left up to the churches and private property owners or tenants to do that if they want. Most of the Ten Commandments are not even made into law. It would be far more appropriate for a party platform to encourage or require that the Bill of Rights be posted in schools and government buildings. Quite unlike the Ten Commandments, all ten of them are required to be observed under the U. S. Constitution.

The only time I went to school where the Ten Commandments were displayed was in a church for temporary reasons. My elementary school had a fire and so the church was willing to serve as a substitute public school for several weeks while repairs were made. My teacher called attention to the Ten Commandments. But she said it was like getting out of jail when the school was ready to go back to.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
I don't see banning same sex marriage as having the same heavy emotional appeal with far right conservatives as banning abortion in most states. .
I agree, but I would eliminate “far-right” in the above statement. I know of a couple of people and Catholic family members who are strong pro-life. In fact the most pro-life people I know are my in-laws. Interestingly, they are Catholic and Democrat.

Certainly evangelicals are heavy pro-life, but the subset that are anti-gay marriage is small. Granted this is just my POV, but I don’t know anyone personally who is against the right of people to marry who they choose.

IMO, Gay marriage will never be overturned…and that is a good thing.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
They will need something to run against for the 26 midterms. Traditional marriage will be what they need to “defend.”
Unfortunately this is probably spot on. They know of no other way to run since they abandoned fiscal conservatism. The GOP have been marginalizing themselves for years and I think this will be a huge step towards irrelevance for them. Hopefully another party can step up to fill that void to keep some semblance of balance in DC.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
They have become the party of fear and it's amazing it works on anyone. Flyer after flyer in the mail telling me what to be afraid of. Pathetic losers...all of them.

Mar 11, 2006
Unfortunately this is probably spot on. They know of no other way to run since they abandoned fiscal conservatism. The GOP have been marginalizing themselves for years and I think this will be a huge step towards irrelevance for them. Hopefully another party can step up to fill that void to keep some semblance of balance in DC.
THIS
I don't understand the need by some Republicans to poke social issues when the ECONOMY is nearly always a top 2 or 3 issue in every election. Would much rather the main message be focused on how the government can be reduced in your life by lowering taxes and by reducing spending. And then most importantly --- follow-up on that promise.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
https://twitter.com/hutchinson/status/1538964880450936833?t=JKTBobxlu9CrnRUy6ajG9g&s=09
I was about to post a "well I was wrong" because of the gay marriage part of that tweet, until I actually read the resolution. It was a tendentious cut and paste. The resolution doesn't seek to take away marriage from anyone, but to protect those like the Colorado baker who do not wish to participate. The entire resolution is below.

1655823692617.png

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I was about to post a "well I was wrong" because of the gay marriage part of that tweet, until I actually read the resolution. It was a tendentious cut and paste. The resolution doesn't seek to take away marriage from anyone, but to protect those like the Colorado baker who do not wish to participate. The entire resolution is below.

View attachment 96060
Well, you might want to go ahead and post a "well I was wrong" post anyway because overturning Obergfell is an EXPRESS plank in their platform.

213. Nullify Unconstitutional Ruling: We believe the Obergefell v. Hodges decision, overturning the Texas 1192 law prohibiting same-sex marriage in Texas, has no basis in the Constitution and should be nullified.

6-Permanent-Platform-Committee-FINAL-REPORT-6-16-2022.pdf (texasgop.org)

Last edited:

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Well, you might want to go ahead and post a "well I was wrong" post anyway because overturning Obergfell is and EXPRESS plank in their platform.

213. Nullify Unconstitutional Ruling: We believe the Obergefell v. Hodges decision, overturning the Texas 1192 law prohibiting same-sex marriage in Texas, has no basis in the Constitution and should be nullified.

6-Permanent-Platform-Committee-FINAL-REPORT-6-16-2022.pdf (texasgop.org)
This is why I am no longer a Republican. I try to defend them just a little bit and it bites me in the ass and embarrasses me. No more.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004

View attachment 96060
And there are also these gems mere column inches down on the platform from the one quoted:

209. Definition of Marriage: We support the definition of marriage as a God-ordained, legal, and moral 1183 covenant only between one biological man and one biological woman. 1184

210. State Authority over Marriage: We support withholding jurisdiction from the federal courts in cases 1185 involving family law, especially any changes in the definition of marriage. 1186

211. Spousal Benefits: We shall not recognize or grant to any unmarried person the legal rights or status 1187 of a spouse, as defined in Principle #6 of the Platform, including granting benefits by political subdivisions. 1188

212. No-Fault Divorce: We urge the Legislature to rescind unilateral no-fault divorce laws and support 1189 covenant marriage and to pass legislation extending the period of time in which a divorce may occur to six 1190 months after the date of filing for divorce

Dec 9, 2013
THIS
I don't understand the need by some Republicans to poke social issues when the ECONOMY is nearly always a top 2 or 3 issue in every election. Would much rather the main message be focused on how the government can be reduced in your life by lowering taxes and by reducing spending. And then most importantly --- follow-up on that promise.
Because if they lose the evangelical block they are toast. With Trump they brought in some fringe nationalists that actually voted. I think w the 2020 election and aftermath we saw the nationalist combine w certain evangelical groups and have now created this unholy monster.

Liz Cheney has been one of the most conservative members of Congress. Her voting record is more conservative than Stefanic, but MAGA is out for her. They despise Paul Ryan. We’ve got posters on here who won’t even consider John Kasich. They have commercials where they are in tactical gear w rifles proclaiming they are hunting other Republicans. Their leading media voice incited these nationalists to actually confront and become physical w one of their own who is a veteran. One of the darlings of MAGA went to a “Christian” convention and was applauded for inferring that if only Jesus had an AR the govt wouldn’t have crucified him.

It’s all so nuckin futs!

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
They have become the party of fear and it's amazing it works on anyone. Flyer after flyer in the mail telling me what to be afraid of. Pathetic losers...all of them.
MIght take a look around if you think that peddling fear is one-sided issue.
Of course it's not one-sided because fear works exceptionally well. Where I live though, only one side blows up my mailbox and TV with Boogeyman propaganda every election cycle. It's like a Bingo game of which group of people we can marginalize and blame for all our problems.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Of course it's not one-sided because fear works exceptionally well. Where I live though, only one side blows up my mailbox and TV with Boogeyman propaganda every election cycle. It's like a Bingo game of which group of people we can marginalize and blame for all our problems.
I'll see your one TV network and raise you 6 more (including various programming that comes with them), plus an additional 10 very large "news"paper companies.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I'll see your one TV network and raise you 6 more (including various programming that comes with them), plus an additional 10 very large "news"paper companies.
Okay cool. I don't watch those and neither should anyone else.