TBP renovations?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I am sure I am in a significant minority, but I am not interested in the SEC. I like what the new Big 12 holds and am excited about it. I am so happy to be rid of OU. Our record against the Sooners is dismal and I am going to say it. I'd rather be the top dog in the Big 12 than middle of the pack in the SEC. That's just my opinion. I respect anyone who disagrees.
I think the problem is the new big 12 feels like the CUSA. That’s the perception outside at least.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The talk is being generated by discussion of Missouri not being happy in the SEC and the need for another school.
Thanks, had no clue where it was coming from.

I mean, they could be unhappy all they want but unless the Big10 wants them - which they already shown that they do not - they are not going anywhere… Especially when the big contracts come out.

I just feel we are lower on call order if there is a vacancy based on several factors.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think the problem is the new big 12 feels like the CUSA. That’s the perception outside at least.
Definitely will be fighting a perception battle…

A look at the new Big12 back in 2010:
OSU - Big12
KSU - Big12
ISU - Big12
BU - Big12
KU - Big12
TTU - Big12
TCU - Mountain West
BYU - Mountain West
WVU- Big East
Cincy - Big East
HOU- CUSA
UCF- CUSA

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
That’s 100% BS. It is still relevant, the major determining factor in advertising contracts which is what pays the bills, along with tv contracts or subscriptions.

71% of all US households still have PaidforTV which include cable, satellite, streaming live tv services (YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Apple TV). All of which have national and local advertising.

Last summer it was reported that the PAC-12 nearly reached an agreement to expand by 2 teams. (It was NOT OSU and TTU). It was Houston and TCU, due to their market.

If it’s not market but national appeal there are several programs still well ahead in that regard. We’re talking FSU, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame…. We can throw the “same state” argument out the window with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma.
Ok you are correct, I should not have said markets don't matter anymore. Instead what I should have said is they are now taking a backseat to actual TV ratings. Markets only really mattered when a cable company could just charge everyone a fee for the sports package as part of the bundle. Bigger markets meant more people they could charge. Now that model is dying fast and the advertising is king again. But advertising does not care about the size of the market if the majority of that market is not even tuning it to see the team playing. Thus my point that eyeballs on the screen is much bigger than the size of the market. But hey don't believe me, go do your own research because this is something that every story about college football dollars talks about now.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
If you receive an invite to the SEC you take it, and it's not a question. You are competing in the best conference in football and baseball. You don't shy away from, or turn down, that opportunity. You put your boots on and go to work. You compete on the field, and you compete in recruiting. You recruit kids to play in the SEC. Kids want to play in big time atmospheres at big time facilities. If you're in recruiting battles against Big 12 teams you can go into a living room and sell "do you want to show off your abilities against the likes of Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, etc., and be in a conference that puts out way more draft picks, or do you want to play against Baylor, BYU, K-State?"
If we don't get an invite, make the best of the Big 12 and try to run the conference. But strictly from a competitive side, if we get the chance to go to the SEC, we step up to the challenge and go see how good we really are.
Exactly! Not doing so is akin to promotion to English Premiere League and saying, "nah we're good"

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
We pay for our graduate children's tickets, it gives 6 to 7 meetings a year and we get to see grandkids. If we didn't do that I'm not sure if our kids could afford it with all the other bills.
And $1200 is the cheapest package. It only goes up from there. I truly believe (and have seen evidence to back it up) that if the built an upper deck and made those tickets very affordable that those tickets would sell really really well.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
That’s 100% BS. It is still relevant, the major determining factor in advertising contracts which is what pays the bills, along with tv contracts or subscriptions.

71% of all US households still have PaidforTV which include cable, satellite, streaming live tv services (YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Apple TV). All of which have national and local advertising.

Last summer it was reported that the PAC-12 nearly reached an agreement to expand by 2 teams. (It was NOT OSU and TTU). It was Houston and TCU, due to their market.

If it’s not market but national appeal there are several programs still well ahead in that regard. We’re talking FSU, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame…. We can throw the “same state” argument out the window with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma.
I guess I just don't understand this whole market vs actual viewers. Is it a potential thing? My understanding is that advertisers care about how many people will be seeing their commercials and will pay accordingly.

So, to me, if Oklahoma State comes to a league and says we can bring an average of 1.6 million viewers per game to the table but we are located in Stillwater and then UH comes comes and says we can bring an average of 690K viewers per game but we're located in Houston....it's a no brainer that I take the team that brings an extra million eyeballs which will help get higher payouts. Right?

What am I missing?

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I guess I just don't understand this whole market vs actual viewers. Is it a potential thing? My understanding is that advertisers care about how many people will be seeing their commercials and will pay accordingly.

So, to me, if Oklahoma State comes to a league and says we can bring an average of 1.6 million viewers per game to the table but we are located in Stillwater and then UH comes comes and says we can bring an average of 690K viewers per game but we're located in Houston....it's a no brainer that I take the team that brings an extra million eyeballs which will help get higher payouts. Right?

What am I missing?

So no renovation update then?