TBP renovations?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Agreed, except it's already apparent.
To you?

Rack I LOVE the enthusiasm for the new conference. I actually think from a competitive standpoint we are probably 3rd in terms of conference rankings. I think we are already better than the PAC and ACC ON THE FIELD and that it's possible that we could run down the BIG 10 from top to bottom in all sports.

In terms of value we have some work to do....maybe a lot of work to do. And I don't think it's "apparent" that we are better than the BIG 10 in athletics. Again I think we can be. And I do think that the market value of the incoming schools has potential to really help the conference in a big way. And....I can't say that any of them are a home run YET. Get back to me in 5 years and then I will be able to give a definitive answer.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
To you?

Rack I LOVE the enthusiasm for the new conference. I actually think from a competitive standpoint we are probably 3rd in terms of conference rankings. I think we are already better than the PAC and ACC ON THE FIELD and that it's possible that we could run down the BIG 10 from top to bottom in all sports.

In terms of value we have some work to do....maybe a lot of work to do. And I don't think it's "apparent" that we are better than the BIG 10 in athletics. Again I think we can be. And I do think that the market value of the incoming schools has potential to really help the conference in a big way. And....I can't say that any of them are a home run YET. Get back to me in 5 years and then I will be able to give a definitive answer.
I'll give you a definitive answer today: NONE of the schools coming in will surpass the value and perception of Texas and OU. That's not even addressing the schools' actual accomplishments on the field/court. It's not close now, and it won't be in 5 years. Some of you are drinking Jonestown level kool-aid here.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I'll give you a definitive answer today: NONE of the schools coming in will surpass the value and perception of Texas and OU. That's not even addressing the schools' actual accomplishments on the field/court. It's not close now, and it won't be in 5 years. Some of you are drinking Jonestown level kool-aid here.
Not having them on the schedule every year will definitely have an impact, no doubt about it. However, that is actually a situation we have some measure of control over. And it comes in the form of scheduling strong OOC games regularly, and winning ballgames. In the end OSU creates and maintains the brand.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
You don't have to be a financial guru to understand that adding seats without the demand isn't a smart decision. I mean, we aren't reducing the capacity just for fun.
I actually thought we kinda were reducing capacity "for fun"? I thought it was more about improving the fans experience than it was covering up our crowd numbers? Because again...all you have to do is sell tickets at a cheaper rate and you'll sell out every game.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Where in my post did I even hint at the incoming schools eclipsing UT and OU in terms of market value now or in the future? Takes some deep breaths man ha.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I actually thought we kinda were reducing capacity "for fun"? I thought it was more about improving the fans experience than it was covering up our crowd numbers? Because again...all you have to do is sell tickets at a cheaper rate and you'll sell out every game.
As Holder pointed out-this is not the case at all, you just cheapen your existing seats by doing this. There's not as direct a correlation to cheaper ticket prices and attendance as one might think.

I did interpret the stadium changes the same as you, though-an effort to improve the in-game experience for fans. OU did this with their South endzone expansion.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
WHen you say the incoming schools 'have the potential to help the conference in a big way', what do you mean then?
I am thinking of TV money, but I have no delusions that they will be at the level of OU and UT. For instance. UCF has 65K enrollment and resides in a fairly large city in a football state. From 2015-2019 their average TV viewership was 566K (for reference KU was bottom of the Big12 at 346K and KState was at 682K). I think they have the potential to nearly double that number in the Big12 which would put them at 1.1M per game (oSu averaged 1.64M).

IMO that helps the Big12 in a big way. OU averaged 2.9 million viewers per game. I do not think any of those schools can achieve those numbers but they could still contribute in a big way.

Edit: It's strange to me that me saying I believe those schools could contribute in a big way immediately meant, to you, that I was saying they would be bigger and better that the whorns or the goons? That a TON of reading into things.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I am thinking of TV money, but I have no delusions that they will be at the level of OU and UT. For instance. UCF has 65K enrollment and resides in a fairly large city in a football state. From 2015-2019 their average TV viewership was 566K (for reference KU was bottom of the Big12 at 346K and KState was at 682K). I think they have the potential to nearly double that number in the Big12 which would put them at 1.1M per game (oSu averaged 1.64M).

IMO that helps the Big12 in a big way. OU averaged 2.9 million viewers per game. I do not think any of those schools can achieve those numbers but they could still contribute in a big way.

Edit: It's strange to me that me saying I believe those schools could contribute in a big way immediately meant, to you, that I was saying they would be bigger and better that the whorns or the goons? That a TON of reading into things.
I probably should have directed that more at Rack.

I have my doubts about commuter schools increasing the audience numbers alot, but maybe they will.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I probably should have directed that more at Rack.

I have my doubts about commuter schools increasing the audience numbers alot, but maybe they will.
I agree that it's a crap shoot to know how joining the Big12 will do for their numbers. They only have 12K on campus (which is equal to TCU's whole enrollment btw) but I figure even if only half of the 65-70K are actually interested in the school that's 30K per year?

Same goes for Houston. BYU's numbers are already pretty decent.

Anyways, I will say I'm optimistic that our viewership can rival the ACC and PAC12 fairly quickly with those schools coming in. I'm not certain it will happen but I'm optimistic. I can show you why but it's a lot of number crutching.

Sep 29, 2005
NW OKC
www.thomasandcathy.blogspot.com
I am sure I am in a significant minority, but I am not interested in the SEC. I like what the new Big 12 holds and am excited about it. I am so happy to be rid of OU. Our record against the Sooners is dismal and I am going to say it. I'd rather be the top dog in the Big 12 than middle of the pack in the SEC. That's just my opinion. I respect anyone who disagrees.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I can remember two different ticket specials that they ran sometime around 2009-2011 and one of them was against Troy. It sold out in a hurry. I've seen the same thing in basketball. Believe it or not a lot of people can't afford to spend $1200 for a family of four for season tickets. If you cut that in half there would be A TON of takers. I promise.
We pay for our graduate children's tickets, it gives 6 to 7 meetings a year and we get to see grandkids. If we didn't do that I'm not sure if our kids could afford it with all the other bills.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I am sure I am in a significant minority, but I am not interested in the SEC. I like what the new Big 12 holds and am excited about it. I am so happy to be rid of OU. Our record against the Sooners is dismal and I am going to say it. I'd rather be the top dog in the Big 12 than middle of the pack in the SEC. That's just my opinion. I respect anyone who disagrees.
I don't disagree, I dont want to hear that mindless prattle ever again. We might might be able to lure most of the SEC to the Big XII in a very short time.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Where is all of this talk of OSU and the SEC coming from? It’s obvious, the SEC has zero interest in us or we would have been included in the initial move.

OSU is a perfect example of what the SEC elites do NOT want. A small market program that brings no additional financial markets to the league but is a competitive threat on the field.

We’re the dude that doesn’t get invited to the frat party because we don’t bring any extra booze but would end up banging all the coeds.

Not to mention adding the 4 teams to solidify the Big12 all but locked in the buyout.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Where is all of this talk of OSU and the SEC coming from? It’s obvious, the SEC has zero interest in us or we would have been included in the initial move.

OSU is a perfect example of what the SEC elites do NOT want. A small market program that brings no additional financial markets to the league but is a competitive threat on the field.

We’re the dude that doesn’t get invited to the frat party because we don’t bring any extra booze but would end up banging all the coeds.

Not to mention adding the 4 teams to solidify the Big12 all but locked in the buyout.
The talk is being generated by discussion of Missouri not being happy in the SEC and the need for another school.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

Markets do not matter anymore now that cable cutting has become rampant. Now it is all about how many eyeballs you can attract to the screen.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I hope we dome the stadium. It would make for a much louder and better viewing experience. If not a dome, get some shade coverings for the fan areas. Ultimately the stands need to be a pleasant experience during all weather situations. If the place is comfortable, we will fill the stadium appropriately.

Also, I liked someone's idea of a standing room only section that allows for tailgating during the game. A tailgating terrace in front of GIA under the video screen would be very cool.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Markets do not matter anymore now that cable cutting has become rampant. Now it is all about how many eyeballs you can attract to the screen.
That’s 100% BS. It is still relevant, the major determining factor in advertising contracts which is what pays the bills, along with tv contracts or subscriptions.

71% of all US households still have PaidforTV which include cable, satellite, streaming live tv services (YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Apple TV). All of which have national and local advertising.

Last summer it was reported that the PAC-12 nearly reached an agreement to expand by 2 teams. (It was NOT OSU and TTU). It was Houston and TCU, due to their market.

If it’s not market but national appeal there are several programs still well ahead in that regard. We’re talking FSU, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame…. We can throw the “same state” argument out the window with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma.