TBP renovations?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
With respect, no way OSU gets an invite to the SEC. Not gonna happen.
RA always say he has inside information about these matters. He is claiming FSU and OkState are likely to move to SEC in the next round and Missouri wants out and wants in B1G. He acts like just stay tuned it may have already happened and waiting to be announced. Shrum and Weiberg have influence and are actively pursuing SEC or B1G Conference transfers.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
RA always say he has inside information about these matters. He is claiming FSU and OkState are likely to move to SEC in the next round and Missouri wants out and wants in B1G. He acts like just stayed tuned it may have already happened and waiting to be announced. Shrum and Weiberg have influence and are actively pursuing SEC or B1G Conference transfers.
If anything, the SEC would try to bring in Clemson and FSU.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
They already have Iowa. ISU brings no additional value. Kind of like the SEC now has OU, and OSU brings no additional value.
Maybe not at this point in time because the dance cards are completed for the near future. However, you and I both know the sports landscape is changing exponentially, and the need for more participants in a conference is bearing down on each one. That being said, and tot that we will, but given the choices I believe we're more likely to receive a BIG invite than SEC.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
RA always say he has inside information about these matters. He is claiming FSU and OkState are likely to move to SEC in the next round and Missouri wants out and wants in B1G. He acts like just stayed tuned it may have already happened and waiting to be announced. Shrum and Weiberg have influence and are actively pursuing SEC or B1G Conference transfers.
How many times has RA's "insider knowledge" been accurate?

He said the same stuff last year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
IMHO, we need an area for SRO tickets like we sell For baseball or at Jerry world in Arlington. This would make up for seating lost and improve an already good atmosphere. Not sure where but that would be a fun job for a creative mind
100%. I would give up my seats if there was an east endzone standing room pavilion with a bar. I know you gotta figure out a different way for the visitors to get to their locker room, but there's so much potential in the east endzone for corral-like seating. You could get at least 5 corrals with 100 people total in there. With a bar, that's $100k in revenue each year easily.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
100%. I would give up my seats if there was an east endzone standing room pavilion with a bar. I know you gotta figure out a different way for the visitors to get to their locker room, but there's so much potential in the east endzone for corral-like seating. You could get at least 5 corrals with 100 people total in there. With a bar, that's $100k in revenue each year easily.
You want to make $100K in revenue the easy way, with no reconstruction or major changes required? Open up the stadium for a giant watch party for 2+ good away games each season. Open up some concessions for those in the regular seats. Then set up multiple corral type of comfortable seating spread out on the field, and offer that group of patrons, who will definitely pay a premium, the opportunity for some BBQ, hamburgers, Beer, etc. already catered in. I know the way I described this leaves a lot to be desired, but I think you get the concept.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
RA always say he has inside information about these matters. He is claiming FSU and OkState are likely to move to SEC in the next round and Missouri wants out and wants in B1G. He acts like just stay tuned it may have already happened and waiting to be announced. Shrum and Weiberg have influence and are actively pursuing SEC or B1G Conference transfers.
Missouri has always preferred the B1G over the SEC. There is so much more money (research grants) to be made by the school if they belonged to the B1G over the SEC. I am sure the B1G is aware of the interest, but the question remains, is anything being actively pursued at this point?

As far as OSU joining the B1G? There isn't a snowball's chance of that happening. First the B1G is NOT an athletic conference, it's a research conference. You won't even get a glance if you are not AAU certified. Second, we are not AAU certified and chances are, we will never be, at least in the foreseeable future.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Missouri has always preferred the B1G over the SEC. There is so much more money (research grants) to be made by the school if they belonged to the B1G over the SEC. I am sure the B1G is aware of the interest, but the question remains, is anything being actively pursued at this point?

As far as OSU joining the B1G? There isn't a snowball's chance of that happening. First the B1G is NOT an athletic conference, it's a research conference. You won't even get a glance if you are not AAU certified. Second, we are not AAU certified and chances are, we will never be, at least in the foreseeable future.
Dr. Shrum is very much 100% pro research, and I think you'l find that sooner than the foreseeable future we are noticeably more active in significant research activities that gets us there. And to be brutally honest, we've actually already started that process.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
Would it be better to be the top dog in the Big 12 or be just another mid-tier Mississippi State at best in the SEC?
It"s all about the money. Top dog with a hamburger budget or mid-tier and eat steak every night. Without the dollars we have no chance to hang with the super conferences when the new tv contracts are given out. I'm hoping Dr. Shrum has a plan to get us on an even playing field in the future.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Would it be better to be the top dog in the Big 12 or be just another mid-tier Mississippi State at best in the SEC?
For winning conference trophies, the Big 12. But for finances and ability to win national titles, the SEC.

The Learfield Director's Cup posted standings earlier this week. We are 25th, and that was third-highest in the conference behind OU and Texas. We are the leader for schools the Big 12 is expecting to have in 2025. BYU is 28th, but the next-closest is Texas Tech at 39.

Seven current SEC schools are in front of us.

The media hype is already showing its influence, and the TV money is soon going to be just as much of an influence, to say nothing of NIL. If we want to remain nationally competitive - not just in football, but across the board - we have to have a chance to make a conference move.

Sep 8, 2004
Chicagoland
Dr. Shrum is very much 100% pro research, and I think you'l find that sooner than the foreseeable future we are noticeably more active in significant research activities that gets us there. And to be brutally honest, we've actually already started that process.[/QUOTE
It is inaccurate to refer to AAU ”certification“ as another post did, which implies status can be obtained by meeting objective criteria. Such does not exist. Since its founding, AAU membership has been by invitation only and has always been very elitist and political. Though it would be a great feather in our cap to be a member, I doubt that OSU would ever be considered by the powers that be, regardless of our research spending. SEC or bust!

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
It is inaccurate to refer to AAU ”certification“ as another post did, which implies status can be obtained by meeting objective criteria. Such does not exist. Since its founding, AAU membership has been by invitation only and has always been very elitist and political. Though it would be a great feather in our cap to be a member, I doubt that OSU would ever be considered by the powers that be, regardless of our research spending. SEC or bust!
If you read my most recent post you'll see I never referred to us obtaining some kind of "certification", rather, that Dr. Shrum's actions that are pushing us deeper into various kinds of ag research will get us to the point where we COULD be invited.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Personally I don’t want one. It, in my opinion was a mistake for ou in football. They are no longer the big dog in their own conference and thus they will have less opportunity. Bama will continue to dominate and ou fans are not going to be happy loosing their position. Best thing that ever happened to us in my view. We are now in a very competitive conference with no clear front runner every year which means we have a major opportunity that we didn’t have prior. It would be a huge mistake to blot to the sec. Those who discount the position in football of the four new teams do so at their own folly. Those four have the potential to boost the conference to a stronger position than even with ou and Texas, not weaker. Yes it’s going to take about a decade for this to happen, but I honestly think it will. Yes the sec will still be the top dog, but the new big 12 will be right on its heels as it will also be with the big 10…pac and acc will bring up the rear in that order. Plus we now have the mental hurdle of ou gone…hopefully forever! Or at least until the meant aspect of bedlam is history. I’m actually excited for them to be gone to see what we can do and if we can beat these new forma-table teams who are joining us.

Last edited:

MoCo

Greenhorn
May 3, 2022
Daingerfield, TX
If you receive an invite to the SEC you take it, and it's not a question. You are competing in the best conference in football and baseball. You don't shy away from, or turn down, that opportunity. You put your boots on and go to work. You compete on the field, and you compete in recruiting. You recruit kids to play in the SEC. Kids want to play in big time atmospheres at big time facilities. If you're in recruiting battles against Big 12 teams you can go into a living room and sell "do you want to show off your abilities against the likes of Texas, LSU, Texas A&M, etc., and be in a conference that puts out way more draft picks, or do you want to play against Baylor, BYU, K-State?"
If we don't get an invite, make the best of the Big 12 and try to run the conference. But strictly from a competitive side, if we get the chance to go to the SEC, we step up to the challenge and go see how good we really are.

Dec 9, 2013
Personally I don’t want one. It, in my opinion was a mistake for ou in football. They are no longer the big dog in their own conference and thus they will have less opportunity. Bama will continue to dominate and ou fans are not going to be happy loosing their position. Best thing that ever happened to us in my view. We are now in a very competitive conference with no clear front runner every year which means we have a major opportunity that we didn’t have prior. It would be a huge mistake to blot to the sec. Those who discount the position in football of the four new teams do so at their own folly. Those four have the potential to boost the conference to a stronger position than even with ou and Texas, not weaker. Yes it’s going to take about a decade for this to happen, but I honestly think it will. Yes the sec will still be the top dog, but the new big 12 will be right on its heels as it will also be with the big 10…pac and acc will bring up the rear in that order. Plus we now have the mental hurdle of ou gone…hopefully forever! Or at least until the meant aspect of bedlam is history. I’m actually excited for them to be gone to see what we can do and if we can beat these new forma-table teams who are joining us.
I don’t disagree w you.

I’ve said it before. UO has enjoyed an unprecedented advantage that no other blue blood has had in their conference affiliation. Going back 50 yrs in most yrs UO has only had 1 serious contender for the conf title. In the Big8 it was Nebraska. In the Big 12 it’s been even more advantageous. It’s been maybe Texas and that happens on a neutral field every yr.

I don’t count us bc we beat them on average 1.5 times every 10 yrs.

Sure Colorado was good for a while and then Baylor in the Big12.

But the Big8 and Big12 had some of the worst teams as well. And then you get to the middle of the conf. They are replacing TCU, KSU, WV and Tech with A&M, LSU, Ol MiSS, Tenn, and maybe Arky.

You just can’t overstate the conference advantage UO has had. They will make boatloads of $. They will win games, but going forward their o/u on wins will move from 10 to 8 .5 or 9 consistently and that won’t win conf championships consistently.

Sep 8, 2004
Chicagoland
If you read my most recent post you'll see I never referred to us obtaining some kind of "certification", rather, that Dr. Shrum's actions that are pushing us deeper into various kinds of ag research will get us to the point where we COULD be invited.
I realize that CaptainEric to whom you were responding was the one that referred to AAU “certification.” Should have said ”another poster” rather than “another post.”

Unfortunately, I don’t think the gatekeepers at the AAU respect ag research like they do research in medicine, economics, basic sciences, etc. There is no Nobel Prize for agriculture. That’s the kind of thing they notice and respect.

Sep 8, 2004
Chicagoland
You’re right about it being nice to be away from OU. However, not only will the new Big 12 not have a front runner, it won’t have any money either. Have to go to SEC and bite the bullet if the chance arises.