Talent issue?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Alabama had 6 players taken in round 1, SEC had 11 total round 1 picks. How does the Big 12 attempt to cut into that talent monopoly in the SEC? Will SEC take a hit when Saban retires, is that what it has come to? Does the Big 12 need to go back after A&M, Arkansas, Notre Dame to come to Big 12. I feel like the SEC is out of hand. Is it that they pay players more?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Alabama had 6 players taken in round 1, SEC had 11 total round 1 picks. How does the Big 12 attempt to cut into that talent monopoly in the SEC? Will SEC take a hit when Saban retires, is that what it has come to? Does the Big 12 need to go back after A&M, Arkansas, Notre Dame to come to Big 12. I feel like the SEC is out of hand. Is it that they pay players more?
No one is coming back to the B12. Too much money in the SEC, ND doesn’t need us.

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin
8 team playoff adds parity. Sure you’ll have the normal amount of kids flock to the Bamas, Clemsons, and NDs - that never goes away. But the mass exodus from California won’t happen nearly as much if the PAC 12 has a shot each year. Same with the Big 12. Kids will stay closer to where they’re from vs going to a “playoff school”.

Doesn’t solve everything, but college football is going to implode on itself because not having parity will drive people away from watching.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
at first I was concerned about the Big 12 having 0 first round picks affecting OSU's recruiting. but i also thought the Gundy/Chuba situation would absolutely torpedo any recruiting momentum we'd be able to build.....and yet we're on the verge of watching Gundy land two straight excellent classes since, so who knows.

OSU getting 4 dudes drafted is good. The big 12 had the second most first round picks last year after the SEC....I think (hope) it's overblown.

Oct 30, 2012
Gundy and co. is on the right track! I have no doubts. I truly believe he and his staff is focusing more on recruiting, more than he ever has. I think they will see these benefits about 2 years from now. Have faith, it will continue to improve. I think Gundy will continue to get a few of those 2/3 star guys that they develop into superstars that get drafted. On top of that I think they’ll get to the point that they mix in a few of those high end 4* guys that elevate the program in each class.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
8 team playoff adds parity. Sure you’ll have the normal amount of kids flock to the Bamas, Clemsons, and NDs - that never goes away. But the mass exodus from California won’t happen nearly as much if the PAC 12 has a shot each year. Same with the Big 12. Kids will stay closer to where they’re from vs going to a “playoff school”.

Doesn’t solve everything, but college football is going to implode on itself because not having parity will drive people away from watching.
Honestly, the only way to have parity is to institute a draft. Aside from a half dozen schools, all other programs have to hope to have just enough talent, in the right system, believing in themselves, and getting some breaks.
Agree 100% with everything else tho

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Out of curiosity, I googled NFL draft by conference in preceding years. You have to go back to the 2013 NFL draft to find a year that the Big12 wasn’t last among the Power 5.... That was when we still had the Big Least.
The spread for the Big 12 over the last 8 years was 14-26. The 22 picks that the Big12 had this year is about average. 2017 (14) was a bit of an anomaly.

So I’m not necessarily concerned about 2021 as it’s on par from what we have been doing. However, what we have been doing isn’t good enough. Not for the Big 12!

What is crazy to me is how the American is gaining on us. The Big 12 drafted 4 more players in 2020 and only 3 more in 2019 in which the AAC had 2 first rounders to our 0.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Out of curiosity, I googled NFL draft by conference in preceding years. You have to go back to the 2013 NFL draft to find a year that the Big12 wasn’t last among the Power 5.... That was when we still had the Big Least.
The spread for the Big 12 over the last 8 years was 14-26. The 22 picks that the Big12 had this year is about average. 2017 (14) was a bit of an anomaly.

So I’m not necessarily concerned about 2021 as it’s on par from what we have been doing. However, what we have been doing isn’t good enough. Not for the Big 12!

What is crazy to me is how the American is gaining on us. The Big 12 drafted 4 more players in 2020 and only 3 more in 2019 in which the AAC had 2 first rounders to our 0.
The big 12 has been at or near the bottom, but on a per team basis, we weren't last in 2016, 2019, or 2020. That said, this now makes 3 out of the last 5 years where we are the p5 bottom feeder even after taking into account our stupid 10 team structure.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
psych is spot on. Don’t under estimate all the negative impacts that a 10 team conference suffers vs a 14 team. Goes way beyond just the sum of numbers.
less media exposure, fewer kids going to mid to bottom of conf school to get to play against the big name schools , less “room for error” in your big name schools to have an off year (I.e. “the Conference is down”): etc

then there’s the ability to have divisions so you don’t gut yourself playing your top teams against all your top teams.

all the above plays in recruiting talent

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The big 12 has been at or near the bottom, but on a per team basis, we weren't last in 2016, 2019, or 2020. That said, this now makes 3 out of the last 5 years where we are the p5 bottom feeder even after taking into account our stupid 10 team structure.
I agree, I’m just not content being not last. Look at it this way. The SEC had 65 over 14 or an average of 4.6 picks per team. Had we averaged 4.6 we would have 46 picks. We didn’t get 1/2 that. Big10 had 44, at that rate we should have 36, more than 50% more than us. This isn’t a down year this is our new average...2017 was a down year.

The fact that the Big12 put out just 3, and 4 more picks than the American over the last two drafts respectively, should be a shocker. They only have 1 more team than us. I don’t care if they had twice as many teams, they are the American and this is the Big12.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Big 12 football must rely on Texas to recruit. Texas high school football is extremely overrated. See: playoffs since playoffs began.. OU got manhandled every single time via recruits that are plucked by SEC in SEC recruiting territory. OU obviously recruits much better than all other Big 12 teams not named Texas.. and OU always looks like junior varsity high school vs NFL team.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I agree, I’m just not content being not last. Look at it this way. The SEC had 65 over 14 or an average of 4.6 picks per team. Had we averaged 4.6 we would have 46 picks. We didn’t get 1/2 that. Big10 had 44, at that rate we should have 36, more than 50% more than us. This isn’t a down year this is our new average...2017 was a down year.

The fact that the Big12 put out just 3, and 4 more picks than the American over the last two drafts respectively, should be a shocker. They only have 1 more team than us. I don’t care if they had twice as many teams, they are the American and this is the Big12.
No argument from me. I still mostly blame Texas. Between the LHN and them blocking the addition of new teams when we had the chance, they've set us back for the foreseeable future. It shows up in these drafts because of things like now A&M siphons more Texas talent to the SEC both directly and indirectly. Texas kids have now grown up watching A&M play SEC teams who actually have a shot at winning a national title. Meanwhile the BIg 12 has a 16 year NC drought. It's the longest drought ever for the conference or either if its predecessors (i.e., Big 8 and SW conference). Even with the playoff, we still have never made the final and are the only P5 conference to have not made it. If I'm an elite talent evaluating schools based on draft and NC potential, I'm not picking anyone in the Big 12.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
LSU @ Bama in 2019: 22 first round picks between the two teams.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
From some Saturday Tradition website, but should be interesting to see if they also do one for 2021.

‘Following the conclusion of the 2020 NFL Draft, 247Sports looked back at where each player selected ranked as a high school recruit. Three-star players made up the largest portion of picks in this year’s draft, followed by four-star recruits. Former five-star players made up the lowest total.
Here’s the breakdown by stars, according to 247Sports.com:
Five-star: 19
Four-star: 73
Three-star: 110
Two-star: 32
Not Ranked: 21’

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Following the conclusion of the 2020 NFL Draft, 247Sports looked back at where each player selected ranked as a high school recruit. Three-star players made up the largest portion of picks in this year’s draft, followed by four-star recruits. Former five-star players made up the lowest total.
Here’s the breakdown by stars, according to 247Sports.com:
Five-star: 19
Four-star: 73
Three-star: 110
Two-star: 32
Not Ranked: 21
Probably need to break down by the percentage of the total number of recruits there are for each of the star ratings. I would venture to guess that 5 star has by far the highest percentage followed closely by 4 star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro