Tailgate TV Advice

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Our tailgate founder that always set up their Dish tailgater opted out of tickets this year so thus far we have gone without TV. Has anyone ever tried to use OSU WiFi to stream live TV? I assume it wouldn’t work out in tailgate land on the south side, but wanted to check with some of you vets before we invest in Dish.

Mar 11, 2006
Our tailgate founder that always set up their Dish tailgater opted out of tickets this year so thus far we have gone without TV. Has anyone ever tried to use OSU WiFi to stream live TV? I assume it wouldn’t work out in tailgate land on the south side, but wanted to check with some of you vets before we invest in Dish.
Would love to hear your results from using Wifi. 5 years ago I tried OSU Wifi. It was spotty at best (we tailgate near Spears School of Business) and the picture froze many times. I went and got Dish tailgater. But that was 5-years ago, I have to assume the Wifi coverage and bandwidth is better now.
I would like to switch back to Wifi to save money since I don't have Dish at home.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
If you have a GM vehicle with a data plan you can make it work.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We’re trying to be as cost friendly as possible. We’ll give it a go with OSU’s WiFi through the Roku in the tv or phone WiFi first and see how that goes for K State. I don’t have high hopes, but I’ll be sure to report back.

Dec 9, 2013
If you have an unlimited data plan and iPhone you can use LTE, an apple dongle (apple lightening to av hdmi adapter) and hdmi chord. The dongle runs about $50. Downside is depending on carrier once the stadium fills service can be unavailable.

Plug in dongle to iPhone like you would your charger. Then plug 1 female dongle port into your normal charger which must be connected to power and the 2nd female dongle port into hdmi w other end plugged into tv hdmi port. Pull up the game on your phone using whatever service you normally watch on your phone and it goes via hdmi to your tv. There’s tons of YouTube videos on “how to use apple lightning digital AV adapter”.

We’ve even run off a 12v battery and inverter at a tailgate. So there’s no generator.

For $50 bucks it’s a cheap way to stream if you already have the unlimited data plan and tv service.

Last edited:
May 29, 2007
NE OK
We run our tv in the camper off of my phone using mobile hotspot (AT&T), it works fine... But I dunno what kind of service you'll get on gameday? I'd try that at home first before you buy any new gear just to see if it's feasible.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
We run our tv in the camper off of my phone using mobile hotspot (AT&T), it works fine... But I dunno what kind of service you'll get on gameday? I'd try that at home first before you buy any new gear just to see if it's feasible.
Same - mobile hotspot on att. Worked pretty well before mizzou state game, a few times tv resolution dropped for < 1 minute. Used my phone and a friend's youtube tv account. We're tailgating right outside the stadium (sw corner). Granted, attendance wasn't great, so might get worse for better games. Much simpler than the portable DirecTV dish we used for years (which worked great, I still have, and would sell fairly cheap).

Jul 9, 2004
TV, Chromecast and your phone is all you need. I used this setup to watch the Big Xll basketball tournament at our corral in O'Brate during the Vandy series...worked great

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2011
If you have an unlimited data plan and iPhone you can use LTE, an apple dongle (apple lightening to av hdmi adapter) and hdmi chord. The dongle runs about $50. Downside is depending on carrier once the stadium fills service can be unavailable.

Plug in dongle to iPhone like you would your charger. Then plug 1 female dongle port into your normal charger which must be connected to power and the 2nd female dongle port into hdmi w other end plugged into tv hdmi port. Pull up the game on your phone using whatever service you normally watch on your phone and it goes via hdmi to your tv. There’s tons of YouTube videos on “how to use apple lightning digital AV adapter”.

We’ve even run off a 12v battery and inverter at a tailgate. So there’s no generator.

For $50 bucks it’s a cheap way to stream if you already have the unlimited data plan and tv service.
I gotta admit; I giggled every time I read "dongle".