Sunday Morning Coachs - Merry Christmas Bevo edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I don't like losing. I can accept losing a good, close, hard-fought game to a team that was simply better than us. That wasn't what happened yesterday. We did everything we could to gift-wrap that game for them.

Offense: F
It all comes down to this: 4 turnovers. We don't turn the ball over 4 times and we win. Period. We got some pretty great performances out of our offense, particularly Wallace who they couldn't cover without holding. The v. the very first drive was beautiful, the TD place was a beautiful spiral that was put in the perfect place for Wallace to catch it. We struggled running the ball, our dinged-up o-line had difficulty moving their d-line.

Sanders and hero ball. The throw off his back foot into double coverage that was almost intercepted... pretty much typified the problem that we have with him. There are times when he looks brilliant. But then there are times when even most high school QBs wouldn't try to force the ball into the place he tries to force it into. He might be the second coming of Mahomes. But, honestly, I would have sat him down for a series or two after the 3 turnovers in the first half in order to get his attention.

LD Brown fumbled. Does LD Brown fumble? I can't remember it happening before.

Defense: B
This grade is difficult, because for 3.5 quarters the defense played brilliantly. We kept constant pressure on Erhlinger and at one point they were 1 for infinity on third down. Their receivers had difficulty getting open. But we collapsed in the 4th quarter. Not sure it is entirely fair to put the collapse all on the defense, because the offense and special teams kept putting them in bad situations.

Special teams: C
The grade here really comes down to two mistakes: the 100 yard return and the roughing the kicker penalty. Both were killers. Otherwise, our coverage units were very good, our young place kicker is growing in confidence, and our punter has become much more consistent.

Uniforms: A
Countering the Texas all-white road uniforms with all-black home uniforms was a good look.

Helmet stickers: Wallace, McCalister, Sterling, Hale

Nov 2, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Was this our Iowa State of 2020?

My question, who told the punt receiving team to try and block a punt with a lead, knowing how poorly the offense was playing? This game was just a comedy of errors. Good news, it happened early, to a team that will most likely win out. Bad news, it happened, which means Bedlam is a thing now. Most likely we will be playing for a spot in the championship game in a few weeks.

Sep 22, 2011
What did i watch yesterday, how can we bes so dominant for 90% of a game, but play so poorly for 10% that we lose, I honestly cant grade it so i will do it a bit different today.
Here are the things that must happen for a worse football team to beat a team that is better than it.

win the turnover battle: -4 turnovers
Score off turnovers: 13 point
Get a special teams score: 7 points
Be within 1 score in the 4rth quarter: 5 point lead

we let a inferior team hang around, and at the end of the game, the team with the better QB wins. As much as I hate to say it Ehlinger was the better QB in the 4rth.

Why the hell did we bring pressure on the punt?
OL injuries really took their toll in this game.
Ossai was unblockable all game.
Tylan wallace may be the best player in the big 12.
The 2 no calls on hit out of bound were crap.
The PI in overtime may be one of the worst I have ever seen.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I don't like losing. I can accept losing a good, close, hard-fought game to a team that was simply better than us. That wasn't what happened yesterday. We did everything we could to gift-wrap that game for them.

It all comes down to this: 4 turnovers. We don't turn the ball over 4 times and we win. Period. We got some pretty great performances out of our offense, particularly Wallace who they couldn't cover without holding. The v. the very first drive was beautiful, the TD place was a beautiful spiral that was put in the perfect place for Wallace to catch it. We struggled running the ball, our dinged-up o-line had difficulty moving their d-line.

Sanders and hero ball. The throw off his back foot into double coverage that was almost intercepted... pretty much typified the problem that we have with him. There are times when he looks brilliant. But then there are times when even most high school QBs wouldn't try to force the ball into the place he tries to force it into. He might be the second coming of Mahomes. But, honestly, I would have sat him down for a series or two after the 3 turnovers in the first half in order to get his attention.

This grade is difficult, because for 3.5 quarters the defense played brilliantly. We kept constant pressure on Erhlinger and at one point they were 1 for infinity on third down. Their receivers had difficulty getting open. But we collapsed in the 4th quarter. Not sure it is entirely fair to put the collapse all on the defense, because the offense and special teams kept putting them in bad situations.

The grade here really comes down to two mistakes: the 100 yard return and the roughing the kicker penalty. Both were killers. Otherwise, our coverage units were very good, our young place kicker is growing in confidence, and our punter has become much more consistent.

Countering the Texas all-white road uniforms with all-black home uniforms was a good look.

About right except I'd give special teams a D. The two mess ups they had were huge factors in deciding the outcome.

Like to add a couple:

Weather: A+. It was fantastic. I had on a t-shirt the entire game and was in the west end zone that lost the sun earliest.

Some West End Zone Fans After The Game: F. Completely classless act by a bunch of them throwing the chair back cushions onto the field. If they aren't embarrassed by their behavior, I am enough for the both of us. You should be better than that.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yesterday's loss is the result of Gundy's conservative, safe, play-not-to-lose, and absolutely rigid philosophies. He refuses to make adjustments, and it gives us no chance against teams with equal or better talent.

So......if you ever ask yourself, "Why did we just do that?", the answer will likely be because it satisfies the two #gundball basics, as revealed in the "Our Time" documentary.
1. Run the ball or throw it sideways to bring the safeties down. Do it early and often. Once safeties come down, try throwing it deep a bunch. It's literally that simple.
2. There's safety in simplicity

His commitment to that approach and his lack of ability to adjust REALLY holds our team back. We will never get over any sort of hump until/unless Gundy learns how to adapt year-to-year, mid-season, or mid-game.

Mar 11, 2006
Fans at end of game: F. Hated to see so many fans throw chair backs on the field yesterday. It looked like it was snowing orange chairbacks there were so many thrown. The PA announcer should not have to plead with people not to throw things on the field.

Our team: Sick that we lost a game like that. Maybe the most complete game our defense has played. Even with Kolby Peel hurt and Tre Sterling hurt near end of game.
‘Driving home I tried to look for positives, and I think I found it. I believe in this team. The defense is legit.
Offense was fine (obviously can’t turn the ball over), but we need to have more short passing routes. We had too many up the middle runs on 1st down that placed us behind the sticks. Sanders is not there yet, but man what a competitor. Wallace is superhuman.
We still control our Big 12 destiny. I don’t think I am a sunshine lumper, but I believe we will make the Big 12 title game. Go pokes!

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Yesterday's loss is the result of Gundy's conservative, safe, play-not-to-lose, and absolutely rigid philosophies. He refuses to make adjustments, and it gives us no chance against teams with equal or better talent.
There are always going to be decisions I'll second guess, but I just can't blame play calling for yesterday's game. With the insane amount of mistakes we would have lost by 30 if the play calling was really so bad.

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin

So......if you ever ask yourself, "Why did we just do that?", the answer will likely be because it satisfies the two #gundball basics, as revealed in the "Our Time" documentary.
1. Run the ball or throw it sideways to bring the safeties down. Do it early and often. Once safeties come down, try throwing it deep a bunch. It's literally that simple.
2. There's safety in simplicity

His commitment to that approach and his lack of ability to adjust REALLY holds our team back. We will never get over any sort of hump until/unless Gundy learns how to adapt year-to-year, mid-season, or mid-game.
Gundy tried to score before half. He never does that and ironically it backfired. His snaffu was calling for a punt block. Other than that, playcalling was fine. Execution and TOs not fine.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

I'll second guess you just like I do the refs and Gundy, because I can. Right?

Actually I agree with most of that but, it felt like the Defense was nothing short of heroic much of the game yesterday considering they had to overcome not only UT, but our offense, special teams, and the refs.

I'd go a little harder on the special teams. On that 100 yard kick return he had to side step one tackler, then there was nobody else within 20 feet of him the next 100 yards. And please just stop even thinking about blocking a punt. If we're going to treat special teams like non essential employees and not even get a coach, just take the ball and put the offense back on the field.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Really Birry. Gundyball racked up 34 point and 530 total yards. Gundy didn't turn the ball over 4 times, plus the kicker penalty really made it five, and you are blaming the offense.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Really Birry. Gundyball racked up 34 point and 530 total yards. Gundy didn't turn the ball over 4 times, plus the kicker penalty really made it five, and you are blaming the offense.
It's like he's got a template he can cut and paste his responses from the games to save the effort of coming up with a new response every week.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I have become comfortably numb.

This is why we can't have nice things.

When OSU football controls it's own destiny -- it will shoot itself in the foot. This game should have been over by halftime, but we have as our quarterback a truly talented, good person that wants to win with a very limited football intelligence.
I have been very supportive of Sanders' struggle to be the type of QB we've always expected him to be. It's been cut short by inability to outshine Corndog as a freshman and injuries in his two playing seasons. Yet the consistent inconsistency of his playing smart and taking care of the ball are costing my support.

Yes, players make mistakes, but Sander's as our QB has taken Ws and turned them into extremely disappointing Ls, with UT being two concurrent ones. These are games we should have won, but "Squenky" suddenly starts wispering in Spencer's ear telling him, "Don't worry about it. Just do it." and suddenly it's an INT or Fumble that gives hope and the lead to less deserving BIg 12 teams. And it's not just the one forgiveable turnover a game -- it's a handful.

This kind of stupid mistakes should have been more,, but thankfully UT defenders can't catch an easy INT.

How many games has Spencer Sanders played that his turnovers have cost us valuable wins?
He is a nice guy, highly talented TURNOVER MACHINE.

Here's what will happen the rest of the way. I don't like it, but I'm going to lay it out for you. Spencer Sanders will continue to cough up turnovers enough to push us into a must win game in Bedlam. You know, Bedlam -- the game where ou always plays their very best tootball of the season.
The, "We control our own fate" ghost of seasons past will inhabit the mind of Spencer Sanders once again to produce another loss. We may make the Big 12 Championship game, but depending on SS to deliver a game without a couple of crucial game changing turnovers will once again cost us a much overhyped season sending the promising year into the large file of disappointing "What could have been" folder.

Sure, you can call me negative, but tell me why you see it happening differently based on history of player and coaching decisions made during big games during big seasons.
I'll wait.

Nov 6, 2010
Was this our Iowa State of 2020?

My question, who told the punt receiving team to try and block a punt with a lead, knowing how poorly the offense was playing? This game was just a comedy of errors. Good news, it happened early, to a team that will most likely win out. Bad news, it happened, which means Bedlam is a thing now. Most likely we will be playing for a spot in the championship game in a few weeks.

If Texas wins out we won't be, because OU is gonna win out and that puts the tie breaker to Texas. We need them to lose again.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
About right except I'd give special teams a D. The two mess ups they had were huge factors in deciding the outcome.

Like to add a couple:

Weather: A+. It was fantastic. I had on a t-shirt the entire game and was in the west end zone that lost the sun earliest.

Some West End Zone Fans After The Game: F. Completely classless act by a bunch of them throwing the chair back cushions onto the field. If they aren't embarrassed by their behavior, I am enough for the both of us. You should be better than that.
Agreed. F. Is for the fans. Fighting each other at the end was real classy too.