Sunday Morning Coaches: Week 4, I hate Baylor edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 14, 2005
Addendum:

Uniforms: A+
Good night nurse their uniforms were awful.
Not only were those uniforms putrid, but their show before the game of being held back at the gate from stampeding onto the field, then released like a herd of raging bulls…that was unbelievably stupid. It did go with the mustard outfits, though.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
One strategy from the game which I think will be huge later in the year was letting Ollie Gordon get meaningful snaps in a big game in the 4th quarter. I think he had close to 20-25 yards on 4-5 carries which helped us to give Richardson a breather, move the chains without throwing the ball, and ultimately the clock keeps running.

I know he fumbled the ball on his last carry and ultimately it didn’t hurt us. So hopefully he now understands and can grasp the importance of ball security at this level. In those situation going forward he is going to be huge for us later in the year when little injuries to other backs start to show up…unlike last year where Warren goes out and we lose tha advantage of the running game.

Dec 17, 2020
Dallas, TX
I took a hiatus from the Sunday Morning Coaches thread the first 3 weeks because I was in the process of moving from Oklahoma to Michigan. But after that game yesterday I feel like talking about it, so here we go.
U of M? Academia?

As a long time resident of Ann Arbor, I can vouch for its livability.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
I have never been there but it is hard for me to see an Ann Arbor Winter as Livable?

My main complain was calling the quick out pass over and over while seeing the one or two WRs stand there and not block. Either teach them how to block or quit calling the play.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Cobb getting a lot of love for this play and rightly so.

But look bigger. Watch Benson. Watch our DT. There was some absolute carnage on that play.

https://twitter.com/zlancaster91/status/1576423187411136513?s=21&t=Cc8VI9J2k8NACqf5Xjarcw

OranGE-KK

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 11, 2011

But look bigger. Watch Benson. Watch our DT. There was some absolute carnage on that play.

https://twitter.com/zlancaster91/status/1576423187411136513?s=21&t=Cc8VI9J2k8NACqf5Xjarcw
Yeah, there was a lot of mustard spread on the field a few seconds after the snap. Some dudes in yellow got worked.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
One strategy from the game which I think will be huge later in the year was letting Ollie Gordon get meaningful snaps in a big game in the 4th quarter. I think he had close to 20-25 yards on 4-5 carries which helped us to give Richardson a breather, move the chains without throwing the ball, and ultimately the clock keeps running.

I know he fumbled the ball on his last carry and ultimately it didn’t hurt us. So hopefully he now understands and can grasp the importance of ball security at this level. In those situation going forward he is going to be huge for us later in the year when little injuries to other backs start to show up…unlike last year where Warren goes out and we lose tha advantage of the running game.
Agree. In Ollie's defense, that was quite a hit and the helmet went right on the ball...but, need to get it into your chest that late in the game. He's got a great future.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Gundy explained the SS pick in post game. Basically, they had been playing cover 2 all game and when he saw the corner bail with the wr then the out "should" be open.

Similar to JT3s pick 6 against Texas last year, Baylor watches film too. They guessed the play based on tendency and jumped the route. Good for them.

Still a bad play but based on how much Spencer has struggled against those guys in the past, getting fooled just once is a huge improvement.
That was just a great heady play by a veteran D back on their side. Gotta give them credit on that. Taylor's interception was a similar deal - a lot of really good individual plays be veteran players on both teams.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I have never been there but it is hard for me to see an Ann Arbor Winter as Livable?

My main complain was calling the quick out pass over and over while seeing the one or two WRs stand there and not block. Either teach them how to block or quit calling the play.
I think you have to give Baylor credit on that. Against other teams, that "wide screen" play was usually a gimme 5 yards and sometimes big chunks if the receiver broke the tackle. The Baylor defense was well schooled; if they saw the RB or slot swing out they aggressively charged up the field to blow up the play. They did it several times. I kept expecting us to set up the swing, have a WR fake a block and then just head down the field - I think they would have been wide open with one safety to beat to go all the way.

Sep 23, 2010
Two things that are improving. Run game and defense. Mike Gundy teams usually get better in these departments as the year goes on. And with Sanders playing as well and with as much confidence as he ever has, we could be pretty salty by year's end.

Jan 5, 2011
How about that for a little bit of O line depth and experience? Guys are getting valuable minutes and if/when an injury occurs they won’t necessarily be thrown into the fire since they have been in conference games already.

Side note, Adam Lunt and Dustin Ragusa watch a lot of tape of Oklahoma State as well as their opponents. They are great follows on Twitter along with Feels Like 45 podcast (which I believe is done by Cade Webb and Dustin Ragusa.) I don’t understand everything, but their analysis is great for the typical fan to get a little more knowledge/insight on the games.

Attachments

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Maybe it's just me, but I think we were sorta lucky that Baylor didn't employ even more jumping up & down & waving towels. That had me really worried throughout the game, whew!

And Arranda's analytics are going to straight up cost them a game-like they should have in the B12 CG.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Some more Lunt tweets:

https://twitter.com/AdamLunt817/status/1576921944506585088?t=KR-B41Qgk8zyQAQnZ5pw1w&s=19

https://twitter.com/AdamLunt817/status/1576922525493186562?t=2vNZv1e6TeLFuKyboYGhYw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year

Dadgum, he took out three blockers.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Very good observation. This is exactly why I started these threads years ago, so I could hear observations like this. Man, that was brutal.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
It’s funny bc Sanders throws that pass way better than Mason ever did. Yesterday we just missed our blocks. The ball is thrown behind the line so our receivers should be blocking right off the snap. One time it was 8 and then shortly thereafter it was 10 that whiffed the block.
I wish just once it was open that Sanders pump fakes that throw then hits a streaking receiver deep for a TD. It scares me every time we run that play.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I do hate that little swing pass to Pressley off the motion, but I guarantee we're setting something up with that for later.
It’s funny bc Sanders throws that pass way better than Mason ever did. Yesterday we just missed our blocks. The ball is thrown behind the line so our receivers should be blocking right off the snap. One time it was 8 and then shortly thereafter it was 10 that whiffed the block.

Also, Rx needs more kudos for the Fake Baptist hate. Highlighter uniforms aside there’s nothing to like about them.[/QUOTE]

#8 had one of the catches of the year in college football, which helped make up for some absolute whiffs on some of those blocks. Like didn't even engage on a couple of them.;)

Sep 22, 2011
Xavier Benson is coming along and made some very good plays, but is still getting lost, usually when there is a big run, it is a good bet that it is Benson not hitting the right gap or gets swallowed up by a blocker. Unlike the first few games you can see the potential is there, but he has to reduce his missed assignments if our defense is going to be elite