Sunday Morning Coaches - Miles to go before I sleep edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
What can I say, we were simply superior to Kansas in every phase of the game. We expected to be and we were. I could probably stop the analysis right there, but for the sake of completeness, here goes.

Offense: A-
Okay, so through 2.5 quarters we simply imposed our will on them and did whatever we wanted until we brought in the backups, and the backups still looked pretty good. I dare say, our backup offense would have beaten them. So, why the downgrade? Because our backup quarterback looked like a backup quarterback most of the time. The first bomb touchdown to Johnson was a dying duck. We were fortunate that Johnson was able to go find it, because it wasn't anywhere near him, and passes like that get picked off against good defenses. The first touchdown to Wallace was a decent enough pass, but the secondary decided not to cover him, so, I mean, how easy can the pass be? OTOH, the final touchdown to Wallace looked really, really good. It was an out route that was thrown with both velocity and touch, it hit Wallace's outside shoulder just where it was supposed to, and the defender had absolutely no chance at touching it. Absolutely beautiful.

Our first score also gets us downgraded on offense some. Okay, I get it, it's Kansas and we expect to win and win big. But at that point the score is still 0-0. Three straight line plunges is no bueno. My favorite goal-to-go play is PA pass to TE or FB in the flat. It almost always works because in that situation the linebackers and safeties HAVE to bite on the play action. You see it used in goal-to-goal every game in the NFL and it almost always scores because it works. Can we please run it once?

Yeah, okay, there were some huge holes to run through, but Hubbard ran with some authority yesterday that had frankly been missing. He also took care of the ball. He looked like he was supposed to look. But my favorite running play came late. I can't even remember the kid's name, way down the depth chart. Lowered his shoulder and just absolutely flattened a Kansas linebacker, steamrolled him. That linebacker will be feeling that for a week.

Which brings up the o-line play. There were some huge holes. We pretty much imposed our will on them. Then again, we expected to. We did give up a couple of sacks. To the Kansas d-lineman who got a sack... when you're down 38-0 and you get a sack, getting up celebrating, dancing and flashing hand signs just makes you look like an idiot.

Defense: A+
It's hard to find anything to criticize here. That final drive before the end of the half where they started to move the ball a little I was thinking, "We'll intercept a pass here in a minute", and sure enough we stopped the drive with an interception. The only disappointment was that our substitutes allowed a score and didn't preserve the shut-out, but, eh, so what. 193 total yards, 1:14 on third downs, 3.0 yards per offensive play will win a lot of games. We've now held three consecutive opponents under 20 points. The last time we did that was in the Independence Bowl year, but that was two Sunbelt teams and an FCS teams. We've done this against an FBS team and two conference opponents. That's pretty freaking impressive, even if one of them is Kansas.

Special teams: A
Alex Hale has become a dependable and serviceable kicker. Our kickoff coverage was generally very good. We had one roughing the punter that probably should've been called as we rolled into the punter, but, eh, we got away with it.

Uniforms: A-
I'm not a big fan of the gray, but the silver britches for road uniforms looked pretty dang good.

Kansas social distancing: A
That was probably the crowd they were going to have without the social distancing, so good job getting that many to show up.

Miles' hair dye job: F
Stop with the Just for Men. You're not fooling anyone, and it looks really, really bad.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Offense A
Radio guys talked about how we usually started slow in Lawrence, even years that we clearly outmatched them. Nice to see the quick start and leave no doubt, even with all the injuries we've seen. Got good "stat" days for our two AA candidates which it exactly what you want against lesser competition. There were a few issues that Rx alluded to but got the bye week to work on that. SI has grown quite a bit from game 1 to game 3, a noticeable improvement in so short a time makes me excited for the future.....I'm assuming SS will be back for Baylor.....it's not at all fair to him but some fans will start to grumble after the first incompletion....that's fan bases for you.

Defense A+
No offsides for Bundage, well freaking done young man. Defense played very good (tackling, coverage, pressure on the QB) a complete performance.....even the backups played well aside from the one drive. This may be the best group of LB's we've had since the infamous best from coast to coast promotion (I still have that coaster). I've been let down before but I can't help it, I am super excited to see what this defense can do. 16.3% 3rd down conversions through three games may be the best through three games we've seen, at least in the Big 12 era. It gets harder from here..every QB we play from here on out is better than what we've faced so far...IMO.

Special Team A
The more you score, the more you have to kick it off and Pooka is no slouch, KO coverage was excellent except for the very first one. FG kicking is stil perfect, nothing you can say about that. Punting average was a bit low but I have no idea how many of those punts were into that stiff wind and how many were with it so I'll let that one go. Still no return threat to speak of but as long as the return teams don't make big mistakes, I'm going to give it a pass.

Saturday as a whole A+++
OSU wins big. OU, UT and BU all lose. TU wins against the darling of the group of 5. A lot of top 25 teams in the middle of the rankings lost which should help us move up. The drawback is that the Big 12 is now a complete afterthought in the CFP discussion....we need to be huge Stanford fans on Nov 7.

Mar 11, 2006
@RxCowboy I thought the pass to Johnson was pretty good. That was in the first half, and early in the second quarter, and I can attest the wind was still strong in our face at that time. I thought he was smart throwing it to the inside.
I do agree hard to judge on Wallace’s first TD. He was WIDE open. But Illingworth’s stats should have been better as our receivers had two drops in the first half.

* We ran Stoner over the middle and had him sit down in the middle twice. We need to do that more. The first time Illingworth checked down and hit him for a 10 yard game. A few players laters he ran the same route, but Wallace was open for his 2nd TD. We need more passes over the middle.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
@RxCowboy I thought the pass to Johnson was pretty good. That was in the first half, and early in the second quarter, and I can attest the wind was still strong in our face at that time. I thought he was smart throwing it to the inside.
I do agree hard to judge on Wallace’s first TD. He was WIDE open. But Illingworth’s stats should have been better as our receivers had two drops in the first half.

* We ran Stoner over the middle and had him sit down in the middle twice. We need to do that more. The first time Illingworth checked down and hit him for a 10 yard game. A few players laters he ran the same route, but Wallace was open for his 2nd TD. We need more passes over the middle.
Of course, watching it on TV i have no idea about the wind. I could only see the ball float and wobble. I will say this about that pass, he have Johnson a chance to run under it pretty much in stride and that was beautiful. That second TD to Wallace IMHO really shows SI's potential. It was a beautiful, tight spiral with both velocity and touch that hit Wallace's back shoulder perfectly.

Who was the back who flattened the linebacker late in the 4th quarter?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
What can I say, we were simply superior to Kansas in every phase of the game. We expected to be and we were. I could probably stop the analysis right there, but for the sake of completeness, here goes.

Offense: A-
Okay, so through 2.5 quarters we simply imposed our will on them and did whatever we wanted until we brought in the backups, and the backups still looked pretty good. I dare say, our backup offense would have beaten them. So, why the downgrade? Because our backup quarterback looked like a backup quarterback most of the time. The first bomb touchdown to Johnson was a dying duck. We were fortunate that Johnson was able to go find it, because it wasn't anywhere near him, and passes like that get picked off against good defenses. The first touchdown to Wallace was a decent enough pass, but the secondary decided not to cover him, so, I mean, how easy can the pass be? OTOH, the final touchdown to Wallace looked really, really good. It was an out route that was thrown with both velocity and touch, it hit Wallace's outside shoulder just where it was supposed to, and the defender had absolutely no chance at touching it. Absolutely beautiful.

Our first score also gets us downgraded on offense some. Okay, I get it, it's Kansas and we expect to win and win big. But at that point the score is still 0-0. Three straight line plunges is no bueno. My favorite goal-to-go play is PA pass to TE or FB in the flat. It almost always works because in that situation the linebackers and safeties HAVE to bite on the play action. You see it used in goal-to-goal every game in the NFL and it almost always scores because it works. Can we please run it once?

Yeah, okay, there were some huge holes to run through, but Hubbard ran with some authority yesterday that had frankly been missing. He also took care of the ball. He looked like he was supposed to look. But my favorite running play came late. I can't even remember the kid's name, way down the depth chart. Lowered his shoulder and just absolutely flattened a Kansas linebacker, steamrolled him. That linebacker will be feeling that for a week.

Which brings up the o-line play. There were some huge holes. We pretty much imposed our will on them. Then again, we expected to. We did give up a couple of sacks. To the Kansas d-lineman who got a sack... when you're down 38-0 and you get a sack, getting up celebrating, dancing and flashing hand signs just makes you look like an idiot.

Defense: A+
It's hard to find anything to criticize here. That final drive before the end of the half where they started to move the ball a little I was thinking, "We'll intercept a pass here in a minute", and sure enough we stopped the drive with an interception. The only disappointment was that our substitutes allowed a score and didn't preserve the shut-out, but, eh, so what. 193 total yards, 1:14 on third downs, 3.0 yards per offensive play will win a lot of games. We've now held three consecutive opponents under 20 points. The last time we did that was in the Independence Bowl year, but that was two Sunbelt teams and an FCS teams. We've done this against an FBS team and two conference opponents. That's pretty freaking impressive, even if one of them is Kansas.

Special teams: A
Alex Hale has become a dependable and serviceable kicker. Our kickoff coverage was generally very good. We had one roughing the punter that probably should've been called as we rolled into the punter, but, eh, we got away with it.

Uniforms: A-
I'm not a big fan of the gray, but the silver britches for road uniforms looked pretty dang good.

Kansas social distancing: A
That was probably the crowd they were going to have without the social distancing, so good job getting that many to show up.

Miles' hair dye job: F
Stop with the Just for Men. You're not fooling anyone, and it looks really, really bad.
Best Thread title award goes to you on this day sir! Well done!

Sep 22, 2011
Lets just get this out of the way, Kansas is really bad, i have a lot of respect for les miles, but it isn't working at KU. That was the worst big 12 team I have ever seen, they are small, slow, weak and undisciplined, the perfect microcosm is the play where wallace jogs past the safety fir a td, that is the worst defensive bust I have ever seen, he is the best player on the field.

Now with that caveat here comes the Optimism.

offense A: I watched it recorded and on my phone so I probably missed some stuff, but on my count we ran a total playbook of 11 plays. And Illingworth had a total of 2 plays that he went to his second read. For the first time in a long time I saw an OSU offense impose their will on a lesser team. Hopefully this was a get your head right game for Chuba, because he looked like last year chuba, running behind his pads, the vision was back, the never taking a square hit was back, it was really good to see, this was the first time he looked better than LD. The line looked good and Tylan wallace is Tylan wallace, they had no-one who could cover him and we knew it.

Defence A+, what can you say, the first team defense was outstanding they dominated a terrible team.

Special teams A: no issues

The only problem with this game was that KU was so bad that we might drop more in the polls by playing them, but the team took a business trip and and took care of business. The most positive part of this was that i hope it was a get right game for our line and Chuba to build some confidence going into the tough stretch we are now.

Sep 22, 2011
Of course, watching it on TV i have no idea about the wind. I could only see the ball float and wobble. I will say this about that pass, he have Johnson a chance to run under it pretty much in stride and that was beautiful. That second TD to Wallace IMHO really shows SI's potential. It was a beautiful, tight spiral with both velocity and touch that hit Wallace's back shoulder perfectly.

Who was the back who flattened the linebacker late in the 4th quarter?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
A little more on Illingworth, He throws lasers to the boundaries, and his deep ball is really good when he is on time to his first read and to his right that is why the balls to wallace are typically good. The one go johnson was across the middle and I don’t think he is comfortable throwing across the middle Yet. Long Story short I think he has done incredibly well for a freshman and I cant wait to see what his future looks like, but i also am excited to have SS back

Nov 6, 2010
A little more on Illingworth, He throws lasers to the boundaries, and his deep ball is really good when he is on time to his first read and to his right that is why the balls to wallace are typically good. The one go johnson was across the middle and I don’t think he is comfortable throwing across the middle Yet. Long Story short I think he has done incredibly well for a freshman and I cant wait to see what his future looks like, but i also am excited to have SS back
I think we need to cut some slack on that throw. It just came out of his hand funny and fluttered, happens sometimes. The throw to Stoner to start the WV game showed how good his spirals are normally, I don't think we need to worry about that at all.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I think we need to cut some slack on that throw. It just came out of his hand funny and fluttered, happens sometimes. The throw to Stoner to start the WV game showed how good his spirals are normally, I don't think we need to worry about that at all.
The throw to Johnson was perfect. The defender was behind and to the outside. SO, lay the ball out where only our guy can get it, leave him lots of room to adjust to it, and it's a walk in. Same with the pass to Wallace. Don't force a perfect throw just because the guy is wide open. Give him a chance to make an easy play. Do you know how many wide open receivers were over-thrown by QB's trying to make the perfect pass just yesterday?

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

He was WIDE open, A floater helps for easier catch. Hard thrower Corn Dog might have overthrew him.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
The throw to Johnson did not in stride beauty but it was a smart throw in my opinion.

SI was directing Johnson to a location away from a striding defender where he can peacefully catches the ball and easily walks into the endzone

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Atta Boy award goes to Dunn. It’s been over 10 years since the game plan was adjusted based on the kids play instead of the kids having to adjust to the OC calls. Liked it a lot. Did so without busting open the playbook but just enough for the players to have fun.

I said it in the game thread but Shane is the real deal. I wish he was the number one qb with a offense designed for him.

Dec 6, 2011
Nothing concrete to add except Stephen Hawking woulda had 8 catches for 112 yards and two scores against that secondary of Kansas. They are impressively bad.

However I’m full of schadenfreude that OU, Texas and Baylor all lost on the same day...and Tulsa winning was a nice bonus. When was the last time OU was 1-2? We still haven’t played anyone of substance but it was nice to see us dominate a team we should have steamrolled.