Sunday Morning Coaches - Massacre on the Brazos edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Offense: B+
Honestly, this one is hard to grade. We scored plenty of points, racked up plenty of yards. But it never looked easy. Richardson showed a nice burst of speed. He also had a couple of "get off me" moments, the second one down on the goal line. When he lowered his head and drilled the linebacker, I swear it took to me like he broke the LB's clavicle. Once again, with Wallace out Stoner steps up. I love that kid, not the biggest, not the fastest, but just works his butt off. He gets my game ball.

The second interception was forgivable, it was a 50/50 ball. The first, I don't know if it his left shoulder bother him or what, but Sanders has been short-arming balls, and he short-armed that one. Had he followed through he would have led Stoner properly instead of throwing behind him.

My only issue was in the second-half was when we got the ball in plus territory after the shanked punt and we ran three straight line plunges, and then didn't pick up the 1.5 yards on 4th down. Sanders running laterally this year he has had a tendency to run laterally until he gets caught instead of turning up and getting what yards he can get. So, I didn't like the call, I didn't like the three calls before it. That's an opportunity to step on their throats. We did eventually score the step on their throats score, but scoring it right then would have been demoralizing, instead we handed them what little momentum they could handle.

Defense: A
The Baylor offense was simply overmatched. It was a near perfect performance by our defense. I only wish we had preserved the shut-out. But holding a Big 12 team other than Kansas to less than 10 points is a stellar performance.

Special teams: A
I mean, there really isn't a whole lot to say about special teams. You downgrade a little because we gave off a long kickoff return, and I wouldn't argue with that; though I'm certain there was a block in the back on the play that was missed.

Uniforms: A+
Oh...my goodness were those helmets gorgeous! I think they just became my all-time favorites! That script "Cowboys" is just beautiful! And I loved the OWO.

Officiating/video review: F
I think overall there was no problem with the officiating. However, the targeting review... I told the person that I was watching it with that it absolutely was targeting and it was absolutely going to be overturned on review. What has to happen for a targeting against us to actually be upheld? Hit someone in the head with a sledgehammer? What utter nonsense.

Helmet stickers: Sarah Fuller, Richardson, Stoner, Jackson, o-line, entire defense

Game ball: Stoner

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Missing 5 NFL guys- Hubbard, Jenkins, Wallace, Williams, and Sterling
And lost a 6th during the game.

even with a short handed Baylor, we were very short handed as well - but would never have known by listening to broadcast crew
Not sure how many , if any, of those missing Bears were NFL caliber

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'd have giving the offense an A ...but I understand that two turnovers likely makes it a B rather than an A...we have just been so bad, I'm grading on a curve for the offense. Such a refreshing game that was.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Offense: B+
Honestly, this one is hard to grade. We scored plenty of points, racked up plenty of yards. But it never looked easy. Richardson showed a nice burst of speed. He also had a couple of "get off me" moments, the second one down on the goal line. When he lowered his head and drilled the linebacker, I swear it took to me like he broke the LB's clavicle. Once again, with Wallace out Stoner steps up. I love that kid, not the biggest, not the fastest, but just works his butt off. He gets my game ball.

The second interception was forgivable, it was a 50/50 ball. The first, I don't know if it his left shoulder bother him or what, but Sanders has been short-arming balls, and he short-armed that one. Had he followed through he would have led Stoner properly instead of throwing behind him.

My only issue was in the second-half was when we got the ball in plus territory after the shanked punt and we ran three straight line plunges, and then didn't pick up the 1.5 yards on 4th down. Sanders running laterally this year he has had a tendency to run laterally until he gets caught instead of turning up and getting what yards he can get. So, I didn't like the call, I didn't like the three calls before it. That's an opportunity to step on their throats. We did eventually score the step on their throats score, but scoring it right then would have been demoralizing, instead we handed them what little momentum they could handle.

Defense: A
The Baylor offense was simply overmatched. It was a near perfect performance by our defense. I only wish we had preserved the shut-out. But holding a Big 12 team other than Kansas to less than 10 points is a stellar performance.

Special teams: A
I mean, there really isn't a whole lot to say about special teams. You downgrade a little because we gave off a long kickoff return, and I wouldn't argue with that; though I'm certain there was a block in the back on the play that was missed.

Uniforms: A+
Oh...my goodness were those helmets gorgeous! I think they just became my all-time favorites! That script "Cowboys" is just beautiful! And I loved the OWO.

Officiating/video review: F
I think overall there was no problem with the officiating. However, the targeting review... I told the person that I was watching it with that it absolutely was targeting and it was absolutely going to be overturned on review. What has to happen for a targeting against us to actually be upheld? Hit someone in the head with a sledgehammer? What utter nonsense.

Helmet stickers: Sarah Fuller, Richardson, Stoner, Jackson, o-line, entire defense

Game ball: Stoner
Good post.

As for the officiating, I too don’t understand the targeting “inconsistency”.

On one hand they want to penalize “intent” when a player lowers his head and launches. And on the other hand they actually penalize a clean football play when a defender just happens to get helmet to helmet contact because the offensive player starts to go down or repositions his head.

On the play in question, intent was clearly there. I guess they concluded the receiver mostly avoided the “targeting”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I heard on a podcast there were 47 members of the Baylor football program (coaches, staff and players) not available due to COVID. Has anyone else heard that number? If this is accurate how many were players?

I also read there were only two or three defensive starters missing.

It would seem absurd to play the game if the majority of those were players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I heard on a podcast there were 47 members of the Baylor football program (coaches, staff and players) not available due to COVID. Has anyone else heard that number? If this is accurate how many were players?

If it's true, what the freak are they doing?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

They had 47 players, staff and coaches unavailable, which includes those out with non-COVID issues. RA said only one defender that started against OU was out. They were especially hard hit with several RBs and WRs out.

On a related note, OSU did not have a single starter sit out a single game all year due to COVID. Gundy and staff were great in that regard.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
On a related note, OSU did not have a single starter sit out a single game all year due to COVID. Gundy and staff were great in that regard.

I just posted a similar thing then I saw your post.

If you think back to the start of the season Gundy played hardball with a couple of offensive linemen and kicked them off the team for not following Covid protocol, I f I remember correctly. We sure could have used those 2 guys this season, but looking at the trouble other teams had with the vid, maybe Gundy doesn't get the credit he deserves for managing this thing.