Sunday Morning Coaches - Fake Toejams Edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Overall impression, it wasn't pretty, but it wasn't exactly an ugly win. I've said many times, good teams win ugly games, bad teams lose them. That applies to whatever this was, too.

Offense: B-
There were times when Sanders and the offense looked brilliant. Then again, there were times when the offense shot itself in the foot, and times when it simply sputtered. I'm disappointed that we couldn't put together the final fourth quarter drive to put the ball game out of reach. We went very conservative after the interception. On the other hand, this is what I've been longing for forever, the ability to tell the defense, "we give you a 10 point lead, now you protect it."

Chuba's touchdown run was simply freaking amazing. Changed directions like 5 times, put his left hand on the ground, then bolted for open field... holy cow, it was Sandersesque.

It's good to see the TE/CBs getting involved in the passing game. My favorite goal-to-go play is PA pass to the TE. It is used all the time in the NFL because it freaking works. Woods' touchdown was a thing of beauty. The CBs also are blocking better than they were early in the season. The Tulsa game there were a lot of "look out" blocks... where you turn around and yell at the ball carrier, "Look out!"

Two turnovers led to 14 points. One of them came after we got a turnover of our own. Inexcusable to hand momentum back like that.

Defense: A-
This would be higher had they not allowed the final touchdown drive and kept ISU under 20 points. Y'all might talk me into a higher grade anyway. 3-13 third down conversions, and until that final drive they had only had 3-out in the 4th quarter. We held ISU well under their season average offensively. At one point in the 4th quarter, Dave and Tom mentioned that ISU only had 31 yards of offense from the mid-3rd to that point in the 4th. That is going to win a LOT of ball games. It's damn good defense.

Trey Sterling's pass breakup was absolutely beautiful. We kept pressure on Purdy all day long and never let him get comfortable in the pocket. We also didn't let him gash us with improvised runs. We gave up the 2 long runs to Breece Hall, but other than that he really didn't do much of anything special.

14 points off of turnovers. We gave up 14 points off of turnovers. One of them came after we got a turnover of our own. Inexcusable to hand momentum back like that. Yeah, I repeated myself.

Holding them under 20 points would have made it A+.

Special teams: A
Our young kicker finally missed a kick. That's forgivable. Otherwise, our special teams were simply better than theirs.

Crowd: A+
Great crowd noise for such a small crowd. Well done Cowboys fans!

Uniforms: C-
I hate the grey jerseys. The only place we should use grey as a primary color is pants.

Video review: F
C'mon, that was targeting. Even if the offensive player was being flung into him, he led with the crown of his helmet.

Helmet stickers: Trey Sterling, Colby Harvell-Peel, Jelani Woods, Alex Hale, Dillon Stoner
A tad generous on the offense IMHO, but overall seems like a pretty fair assessment.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I think our offense could be graded on a curve. They looked, pretty good, with some troubles, but Iowa State has a good defense that will expose flaws. One of those interceptions was pretty acrobatic.

As far as the video review I'd also add that the Iowa State receiver's toe was on the white line when he got control of that pass.
I can't disagree with the first, and agree completely with the second.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
Overall strong play on both sides of the ball.
As others have said, defense was lights out except for 2 or 3 breakdowns. Great job shutting Koler down.
The offense played well in spurts, and obviously did enough to win. However, still concerned about the OLine, but better than Tulsa and WV.
Concerning the play calling, why do we continue running the WR screen when it always loses yards? Also, someone needs to tell SS to stop running sideways on his QB runs - 8 out of 10 times he loses yardage.
Looking forward to the next game - the UT OLine is weak, so our defense should be able to put a ton of pressure on Ehlinger. If offense plays mistake free, we should be unbeaten heading to Manhattan.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
They’ve got to work all week on figuring out ways for that offensive line to open some sort of hole for Chuba. That one incredible touchdown run he made was all him, that play was completely stopped and he should’ve been tackled in the backfield if not for his incredible talent, balance and speed.

Look no further than all of the long homerun touchdown runs Chuba made last year to know what can happen if you give him even a little bit of a crease. This year he’s being hit either behind the line or at the line and then he just makes something out of it through sheer will and gets yardage out of it. If you give him any kind of a decent hole he’s gone.

Figuring out a way to make that happen on a fairly consistent basis is the difference between a really good season and a college playoff season!

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Oh yeah, the officiating was terrible, i usually try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but let me just try to list some of the issues.
The non targeting
Kolar did not catch that ball on the sideline
Multiple push offs by ISU TE
Phantom OPI on wallace,
Terrible holding call on wallace
Defensive holding on williams in the last ISU drive when the receiver flat ran into him
The general slow decision making pace and inserting themselves into the game constantly, just really bad
I'll have to watch the game on replay, but live at the stadium it seemed like every spot the gave ISU an extra half-yard and for us it was short a half-yard.

The real obvious one was the punt that the ISU returner signaled fair catch at about the 5, stepped back to the 3 and caught the ball. And the ref marked it at the 5 !! I'll check the reply, but that's what I saw live.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
As others have said, defense was lights out except for 2 or 3 breakdowns. Great job shutting Koler down.
The offense played well in spurts, and obviously did enough to win. However, still concerned about the OLine, but better than Tulsa and WV.
Concerning the play calling, why do we continue running the WR screen when it always loses yards? Also, someone needs to tell SS to stop running sideways on his QB runs - 8 out of 10 times he loses yardage.
Looking forward to the next game - the UT OLine is weak, so our defense should be able to put a ton of pressure on Ehlinger. If offense plays mistake free, we should be unbeaten heading to Manhattan.
You mean the play that we scored 2 TD's last year on ISU from about 70 yards out, that WR screen ?

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Quiz:

Why did our playcalling look “conservative”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you have a D that can provide multiple 3 and out, you don't need to score too many points.
We have runners in the backfield, we grind the tough yardage, burn the clock, reduces the number of downs and rest the D more. Well rested yet deep in rotations D can come-out with high energy and aggressive which will produce more 3 and out.

The 1st 2 of the ISU TDs , were when the aggressive D over pursue the plays in the wrong directions.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
When you have a D that can provide multiple 3 and out, you don't need to score too many points.
We have runners in the backfield, we grind the tough yardage, burn the clock, reduces the number of downs and rest the D more. Well rested yet deep in rotations D can come-out with high energy and aggressive which will produce more 3 and out.

The 1st 2 of the ISU TDs , were when the aggressive D over pursue the plays in the wrong directions.
Reasonable logic except for two things: 1) We’re not the ‘85 Bears or ‘00 Ravens, and cannot rely on our D every game, particularly when we have at least three VERY tough offensive opponents coming up, and 2) we don’t have the offensive line to rely almost exclusively, as you imply, on running the ball and burning clock. There is such a proven action known as being able to keep the defense honest, and that includes keeping all of our offensive weapons an active threat throughout the game. Hubbard through the line, go routes to Wallace, and various long passes to the sideline don’t really do that.

Oct 7, 2012
Oh yeah, the officiating was terrible, i usually try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but let me just try to list some of the issues.
The non targeting
Kolar did not catch that ball on the sideline
Multiple push offs by ISU TE
Phantom OPI on wallace,
Terrible holding call on wallace
Defensive holding on williams in the last ISU drive when the receiver flat ran into him
The general slow decision making pace and inserting themselves into the game constantly, just really bad
It was almost as if the ref’s knew the spread was 3. Kolar was clearly out of bounds.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You mean the play that we scored 2 TD's last year on ISU from about 70 yards out, that WR screen ?
Although I agree with you, one of those doesn't really count as good play calling, it was just Wallace in beast mode. If he's a normal human being it would have been a 2 yard gain.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I was trying to avoid criticizing the refs in a win, because that is what my gooner friends do. But, since you open the can of worms, yeah, in general, they were awful. I saw two facemask grabs on Chuba that weren't called. The holding call on Wallace was pathetic, it was well after the play was over and they had hold of each other. The TE's toe was OOB. I could go on, but what's the point. The replays were what stuck out to me, absolutely none of them made sense. The kid led with the crown of his helmet and made helmet to helmet contact. That's the very definition of targeting. Pathetic.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I’d prefer the knowledgable posters criticizing the “conservative” play calling give us the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looked conservative, particularly in the late 3rd and 4th quarter, because it was conservative. It is a different place for us to be, to tell the defense "we're handing you a 10 point lead now you defend it". We're used to having to outscore other teams because our defense couldn't stop a team of 5 year old girls in the 4th quarter. It is a different way of winning football.

Through 4 games our defense has given up:

Tulsa 7
WV 13
Kansas 7
ISU 21

12 ppg. That puts us tied for 8 in the country in scoring defense, tied for 4th among teams who have played more than 1 game. I say again, it is a different way of winning football than we're used to. But if the other team can't score, they can't win.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I think it was an even better job of shutting Purdy down, considering in the past we've made him look like a young Cam Newton.

The O-line is dinged up. We need to be healthy over the next few weeks.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This win was the perfect Gundyball win. We beat a conference opponent by a super narrow margin by playing it safe. Game plan was blatantly obvious once our defense had success, which seemed pretty logical given how our opponent was playing. Once they were down a couple scores, they were pretty much toast. They just aren't built to score quickly. Gundy knew that, and just decided to coast on offense from that point on.

Bu I'm concerned that this win, particularly this style of win, gives Gundy more confidence in his "safety in simplicity" approach. It works if you want to beat teams like KSU, ISU, and Tulsa with regularity. It does not work if you want to compete for national championships. Unfortunately, our fanbase seems content with the former, and has little interest in the latter.

Our defense will keep us in games that shouldn't be close in the first place, because Gundy takes his foot off the gas too early. That works when you play weak opponents regularly, but is a losing strategy against who we really want to compete with.

Let's stop and realized that we just beat Iowa State by 3 points at home.

Good win in and of itself. But it just exposes Gundy's weak approach to gamedays. I seriously think he hates the actual games. He starts trying to run the clock out and get them over with as soon as we get up one score. And for those of you saying this is "new".......just lol. This is Gundyball, and it's been Gundyball with the exception of the Holgersen/Monken years. It's just that once every 15 years, we actually have a good enough defense and/or run game to win at a slightly higher rate, and that's about it. This style will get destroyed by any team with equal or better athletes and even halfway decent coaching. Really interested to see how we handle Tejas and uo. I think we can beat both due to our defense, but it'll definitely give us a better indicator of where we are.