Sunday Morning Coaches - Aggies vs Sand Aggies edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Those of you who like high scoring shoot-outs, you got your wish.

Offense: B
There are two words for this grade being this high: Dez Jackson. He came to play. It was such a brilliant effort by our third-string running back, and there were times when he was almost all the offense we had. How many times did he lower his shoulders and drive the pile for extra yards? Brilliant.

For a walking MASH unit, the offensive line played a pretty doggone good game, and Jackson's 200+ rushing yards is evidence.

Sanders.... well, he only had one incidence of "hero ball" throwing off his back foot, running to the left, throwing back to his right... interception. Wallace was, of course, his usually brilliant self w/ 7 catches for 129 yards and a TD. He made a couple of "Only Tylan can do that" catches, including the touchdown.

The only thing that I wish is that after the safety when we got the ball at mid-field we try to move the ball rather than burn clock. Scoring there would be that "step on their throats with a hob-nailed boot" moment. Instead, we didn't even actually burn that much clock. Also, I know Jackson made a "smart play" on his final carry, but, dadgum it, I wanted him to score.

Defense: C+
I can't believe we gave up as many big plays to them as we did. Their first touchdown it was a standard zone-blocking play and we over-pursued like crazy, everyone was caught inside. Our one chance at a tackle was a reach-back-throw-an-arm-out, which he ran right through. 44 points and 600+ yards is not a good day. However, I've graded up because in the second half when we needed big plays out of our defense they found a way to make them. Three turnovers, all in the second half, including a defensive-touchdown. A safety. When was the last time we scored a safety?

Special teams: B+
So, our substitute kicker missed a field goal and EP. Forgivable, but it grades ST downwards. The onside-kick touchdown grades it back up. They had ALL the momentum at that point. Jason Taylor took it all right back.

Coaching: D
It looked to me like they made better adjustments at halftime than we did.

Uniforms: A
I love the orange-orange-white though I would also have loved to see those white script Cowboys helmets again.

Officiating: B+
I don't recall any egregious errors this morning. Someone remind me if there were any.

Crowd: A
I had the sound off on my tv, listening to the radio broadcast, which is my preferred way to watch Cowboys football. The crowd really showed up on the radio. Good volume for a small crowd.

Apr 7, 2006
Offense- B- . If not for the turnovers I'd give them an A, but 3 turnovers is bad and we recovered 2 more fumbles that could've made this worse.

Defense - C. If not for getting the turnovers it's an D. Tackling was terrible. Got over aggressive a number of times. Too many big plays.

Special Teams- C- left 4 easy points on the board in a game that was close. Nearly lost the first obvious onside.

Coaching- B. Out 2 RBs, Jenkins and Stoner (part of the game) we put together offense and blocked up front. Didn't try to get too cute on offense when we were giving up big plays, stuck with the run game for the most part. Didn't like 3 plays for 4 yards after the safety - should've done more to put the game away. Felt like the defense should've adjusted more at halftime to eliminate big plays. I dont hold coaches responsible for turnovers in most cases.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Offense: C- Jackson was great obviously, and the offensive line imo was even better but that seems to be a product of how poor Tech was. Gotta be honest tho, I don’t love that Tech’s offense scored more than we did. When you get 2 defensive/Special Teams touchdowns and a safety, I’d like a bit more of a blow out but I don’t really think the offense did it’s part at times. The beginning of the 2nd half with Sanders bad pick and then 2 miserable punts (one of them after Tech immediately turned it back over to us) harkened back to mid game stagnation we’ve had all year. And then even more damning, the absolutely pathetic drive following the safety. I get running out the clock, but could we at least try a read option to give the defense some pause? The Dee Anderson drop in the end zone on the first drive was really looming large for a while, outside of Tylan this receiving corps feels extremely bare and we’ll be in with a major hole next year. I guess the upside is that without a guy to just lock onto, it might help SS’s development going through his progressions.

Defense: B+ Garbage time points happen, I don’t really blame the D much for giving up the final 14, the offense is just in a position to let it fly. It’s more on your offense to keep them on the sideline in that situation. The defense forced 2 fumbles and then the pick 6 and a safety. This defense is in great hands with Bernard-Converse primed to pick up where Rodarius left off next year and neither of the Safeties participating in Senior day. Still. I’m a fan of the don’t bend, break defense, but it may be an area for an adjustment.

ST: B Honestly it was pretty piss poor day with one fantastic saving play. Glad that Brayden’s kick off stepping over the goaline snafu happened, he’s been bad back there all year. We didn’t punt particularly well, on the first onside kick we knew that was coming we butchered it and were lucky to come up with it.

Coaching: D. The passing game continues to be uninspired. Opted to punt on 4th & 3 on the opponent’s 40 in the first half. Didn’t even try on the 2 late game possessions that led to punts in good field position. Why haven’t we been willing to use Dezmond more throughout the rest of the year? We basically played the other 2 RBs into injury. Tech sucks and they didn’t play well, we didn’t beat them by enough.

Fans: D. The ones that were there were fine, but the habit of terrible attendance on Senior Day as we sulk about losing Bedlam continues. Loyal and True.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Offense: C- Jackson was great obviously, and the offensive line imo was even better but that seems to be a product of how poor Tech was. Gotta be honest tho, I don’t love that Tech’s offense scored more than we did. When you get 2 defensive/Special Teams touchdowns and a safety, I’d like a bit more of a blow out but I don’t really think the offense did it’s part at times. The beginning of the 2nd half with Sanders bad pick and then 2 miserable punts (one of them after Tech immediately turned it back over to us) harkened back to mid game stagnation we’ve had all year. And then even more damning, the absolutely pathetic drive following the safety. I get running out the clock, but could we at least try a read option to give the defense some pause? The Dee Anderson drop in the end zone on the first drive was really looming large for a while, outside of Tylan this receiving corps feels extremely bare and we’ll be in with a major hole next year. I guess the upside is that without a guy to just lock onto, it might help SS’s development going through his progressions.

Defense: B+ Garbage time points happen, I don’t really blame the D much for giving up the final 14, the offense is just in a position to let it fly. It’s more on your offense to keep them on the sideline in that situation. The defense forced 2 fumbles and then the pick 6 and a safety. This defense is in great hands with Bernard-Converse primed to pick up where Rodarius left off next year and neither of the Safeties participating in Senior day. Still. I’m a fan of the don’t bend, break defense, but it may be an area for an adjustment.

ST: B Honestly it was pretty piss poor day with one fantastic saving play. Glad that Brayden’s kick off stepping over the goaline snafu happened, he’s been bad back there all year. We didn’t punt particularly well, on the first onside kick we knew that was coming we butchered it and were lucky to come up with it.

Coaching: D. The passing game continues to be uninspired. Opted to punt on 4th & 3 on the opponent’s 40 in the first half. Didn’t even try on the 2 late game possessions that led to punts in good field position. Why haven’t we been willing to use Dezmond more throughout the rest of the year? We basically played the other 2 RBs into injury. Tech sucks and they didn’t play well, we didn’t beat them by enough.

Fans: D. The ones that were there were fine, but the habit of terrible attendance on Senior Day as we sulk about losing Bedlam continues. Loyal and True.

Limited capacity and students being out for fall break didn’t help attendance

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Limited capacity and students being out for fall break didn’t help attendance

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how many students were there seeing that they do not have to return to campus at all after Thanksgiving. For once it was the students who outperformed the alums.

Limited attendance is hogwash, just compare it to Texas and Iowa State with equally limiting attendance. It wasn’t close.

Mar 11, 2006
Offense:
*Agree, Dez was great.
*I thought our line did a much better job, but it does hurt our passing game to use two Cowboy backs nearly every time for rush blocking.
* We still rarely throw over the middle. Don’t understand why we hate crossing routes.
* Tylan - oh, my. Every game he makes some acrobatic catch that defies physics. His body control in the air, while focusing on the ball, is incredible.

Defense
* Tre Sterling. What a 2nd half.
* Ford - warrior. Kept playing after getting sick on the sideline
* Williams - this game showed how good he is. Really missed him when he came out.
* Malcolm Rodriguez and Amen —-would love to have you come back for one more season. Great linebackers.

Crowd
* Much better than I anticipated.
* Mask wearing was about 50% in my section. Surprised. I don’t like cold weather —- enjoyed wearing my mask to stay warmer.

Nov 14, 2010
I was actually pleasantly surprised with how many students were there seeing that they do not have to return to campus at all after Thanksgiving. For once it was the students who outperformed the alums.

Limited attendance is hogwash, just compare it to Texas and Iowa State with equally limiting attendance. It wasn’t close.

I was even more pleasantly surprised at how long they stayed

They seemed to stayb the entire game

Oct 11, 2006
Owasso, OK
Egregious coaching decisions before halftime, not using timeouts to try and score. Embarrassing.

Game showed how important Rodarius is.

Dez was awesome.

I’ve run out of Tylan adjectives. Bless that man.

Losing Hale may cost us one of these last 2 games.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Those of you who like high scoring shoot-outs, you got your wish.

Offense: B
There are two words for this grade being this high: Dez Jackson. He came to play. It was such a brilliant effort by our third-string running back, and there were times when he was almost all the offense we had. How many times did he lower his shoulders and drive the pile for extra yards? Brilliant.

For a walking MASH unit, the offensive line played a pretty doggone good game, and Jackson's 200+ rushing yards is evidence.

Sanders.... well, he only had one incidence of "hero ball" throwing off his back foot, running to the left, throwing back to his right... interception. Wallace was, of course, his usually brilliant self w/ 7 catches for 129 yards and a TD. He made a couple of "Only Tylan can do that" catches, including the touchdown.

The only thing that I wish is that after the safety when we got the ball at mid-field we try to move the ball rather than burn clock. Scoring there would be that "step on their throats with a hob-nailed boot" moment. Instead, we didn't even actually burn that much clock. Also, I know Jackson made a "smart play" on his final carry, but, dadgum it, I wanted him to score.

Defense: C+
I can't believe we gave up as many big plays to them as we did. Their first touchdown it was a standard zone-blocking play and we over-pursued like crazy, everyone was caught inside. Our one chance at a tackle was a reach-back-throw-an-arm-out, which he ran right through. 44 points and 600+ yards is not a good day. However, I've graded up because in the second half when we needed big plays out of our defense they found a way to make them. Three turnovers, all in the second half, including a defensive-touchdown. A safety. When was the last time we scored a safety?

Special teams: B+
So, our substitute kicker missed a field goal and EP. Forgivable, but it grades ST downwards. The onside-kick touchdown grades it back up. They had ALL the momentum at that point. Jason Taylor took it all right back.

Coaching: D
It looked to me like they made better adjustments at halftime than we did.

Uniforms: A
I love the orange-orange-white though I would also have loved to see those white script Cowboys helmets again.

Officiating: B+
I don't recall any egregious errors this morning. Someone remind me if there were any.

Crowd: A
I had the sound off on my tv, listening to the radio broadcast, which is my preferred way to watch Cowboys football. The crowd really showed up on the radio. Good volume for a small crowd.

Good summation, but I'd drop ST to a B, maybe C+.

I say that largely based on what others have already mentioned, but also because our total lack of awareness on KO returns continues to plague us in terms of field position. We've seen teams repeatedly kick it short & high, yet Johnson continually fields these & winds up short of the 25. These are absolutely free yards if you're aware enough to fair catch it.

DeFo used to preach & preach about the numbers behind your starting field position & the statistical relation to having a scoring drive. Doesn't seem like much difference starting at the 20 vs. the 25, but the numbers say otherwise. Now, when you're fielding that KO @ the 5 & returning it to the 18, it's an even bigger deal.

I won't rehash all the history of not having a ST coach, but it's disappointing & just not smart football to have had this happening for the better part of the season & specifically the last 2 weeks. Other teams clearly have scouted us on this & I get a guy's desire to make a play, but it's like a QB making the smart play sometimes & throwing a ball away instead of trying to force something.

Nov 6, 2010
Egregious coaching decisions before halftime, not using timeouts to try and score. Embarrassing.

Game showed how important Rodarius is.

Dez was awesome.

I’ve run out of Tylan adjectives. Bless that man.

Losing Hale may cost us one of these last 2 games.
Yea, nothing like running out of time at midfield and taking two timeouts to the locker room with you.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Also, FYI, it carried over to the basketball game. I was critical of student attendance last season, but was pleasantly surprised last night.