Student Loan Cancellation Sets Up Clash Between Biden and the Left

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
So yeah........great example of how irresponsible the current system is. It's not the article I referenced above, but it might as well be. It illustrates the point perfectly. These stories are popping up on my news feed daily, and every single one of them are pro-forgiveness, and framing these borrowers as victims of "the system".

Excerpts below illustrate the problem. (emphasis added)

“There isn't an American Dream anymore, especially if you went to college and had to borrow for it,” said Tracy Musick, who earned her master’s degree in library science from North Carolina Central University in 2011.

“I was actually in a better position when I was selling makeup, and didn't have a degree at all,” Musick said, adding that she would like to own a house and prosper on her own, but feels like she is weighed down by the debt.

As of 2019, Musick owed about $80,000 in federal loans for her master’s degree — plus at least $3,000 in interest. She said she currently is not sure how much she owes exactly.

source: https://www.voanews.com/student-union/student-loan-forgiveness-plan-receives-more-scrutiny

Library science. Master's degree. Owes "about" $80,000 in federal loans. Was doing better before spending who knows how much getting a mostly worthless degree. You have got to be kidding me.

It's irresponsible that a college would ethically offer a degree that costs so much to attain that KNOWS it couldn't be paid off easily with a $60k/yr salary or less.
It's irresponsible that the federal government would loan that amount of money for such a degree.
It's irresponsible that a student wouldn't understand the horrid economic implications of borrowing that much money given the salaries that library science will bring in.

The story above wants us to feel sorry for these people. I don't.
I think the government should be more picky about what kind of loans they give out. I mean if you want a useless degree, go for it, you just cant get these govt backed student loans to get it. Perhaps they can make it for STEM degrees only.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I think the government should be more picky about what kind of loans they give out. I mean if you want a useless degree, go for it, you just cant get these govt backed student loans to get it. Perhaps they can make it for STEM degrees only.
reduce max loan amounts and bump interest rate higher (because you take a higher risk) on Non-Stem Degree student loans and make them more expensive to pursue for the student, and more profitable to the Govt higher interest rate. Also set inflexible repayment terms and time frames for non Stem loans.

Then

Increase access to STEM degree student loans making them easier to obtain.....set them up at significantly lower interest rates to make it more financially attractive to pursue a stem degree and offer additional loan write off opportunities for STEM degrees for post grad work done serving community by working in an underserved community for up to 2 years with flexible loan repayment terms in that 2 year time frame.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
reduce max loan amounts and bump interest rate higher (because you take a higher risk) on Non-Stem Degree student loans and make them more expensive to pursue for the student, and more profitable to the Govt higher interest rate. Also set inflexible repayment terms and time frames for non Stem loans.

Then

Increase access to STEM degree student loans making them easier to obtain.....set them up at significantly lower interest rates to make it more financially attractive to pursue a stem degree and offer additional loan write off opportunities for STEM degrees for post grad work done serving community by working in an underserved community for up to 2 years with flexible loan repayment terms in that 2 year time frame.
Sign me up!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Public Libraries and school libraries in Oklahoma will NOT hire you as a librarian unless you have a Masters of Library Science Degree. This is VERY common across the entire US

My wife works in this field. It is one of the more stubborn occupations that require a specific degree I've ever seen
That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that career choice. I just think that the cost of obtaining a degree shouldn't put you upside down in that career, which is exactly what's happening right now. The schools are charging too much, the government is loaning too much, and the students are borrowing too much. But the driving forces is the infinite supply of federally backed loans with seemingly no real caps or strings attached. Of course the schools will take advantage of that.

It would be like banks approving a $450k mortgage for a house worth $300k. You know why that doesn't happen? Because banks can't continuously lose money, so they have appraisals to keep that from happening. Not so with the government. They can lose money all day, and just tax more or borrow more to stay afloat. The federal government needs to do the same thing for higher education loans. There needs to be an appraisal mechanism in place to prevent loaning more than people can earn and pay back.

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
Just like the $2000 stimulus checks that they bribed Georgia senate voters with, this too isn’t happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk