Student Loan Cancellation Sets Up Clash Between Biden and the Left

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Yes, it is.
We live in a democratic republic. Who other than our society put the government in place that you want to blame for all of the ills of our society?
And, I detailed all of the ways that we as a society play a part most of which is not forced on us by the government. Having lived in Australia and seeing how differently the citizens treat kids going to TAFE (votech) or skilled trades shows me that it isn't just specific parents and government. It is us.

Sorry, kicking back and playing the "it's the gubmit's fault" is an attempt to kick responsibility to others instead of wanting to be a part of the fix. You obviously can claim it, but I'm not going to agree with you.
Agreed, although I do consider our representatives to at least be enablers.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I worked every single year I attended college, attending TCC for two years because it was significantly less expensive, took out loans when I went to OSU. My first 3 years out of college, I went without cable so I could make payments on those loans.

There are a multitude of issues here.
College is too expensive, this should be priority one of the politicians in DC, but since they don't want to actually solve problems, just run on a promise to, then that's that

I think our society thinks of way too many luxuries as necessities. I went without cable, I wonder how many young people today would go without 3 streaming services or not upgrade to the latest smart phone every year. If you take on debt, you sometimes have to sacrifice things you WANT to pay it off....that is a dying notion in our society. Which isn't surprising considering the example our leaders set in that area.

People should have a plan, if you don't then why are you going to college. I realized halfway through that I didn't know what I wanted to do. Took a few years off to figure it out then went back and finished.

Mar 11, 2006
Thankful she seems to be losing influence. But her ideas are shared by a large progressive base.
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1482822435581927424?s=21

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Thankful she seems to be losing influence. But her ideas are shared by a large progressive base.
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1482822435581927424?s=21
Not sure where she's getting that it would reduce the racial wealth gap. Everything I've seen says it would do the opposite because of who has super high loans from super expensive schools. That fact is honestly one of my biggest hangups here. Like others on this board, I could have never gone to college without loans because I didn't come from money. I worked every year I was in school, at least 20 hours per week. I'm in a profession now where I can afford to pay them off pretty easily and I don't want to see them go away. That said, waiving this debt benefits kids from wealthier (albeit not super wealthy) backgrounds because that's who goes to ultra expensive schools to a much higher degree than low income kids and/or POCs. Maybe this is too cynical, but it feels like pandering to liberal White kids.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Not sure where she's getting that it would reduce the racial wealth gap. Everything I've seen says it would do the opposite because of who has super high loans from super expensive schools. That fact is honestly one of my biggest hangups here. Like others on this board, I could have never gone to college without loans because I didn't come from money. I worked every year I was in school, at least 20 hours per week. I'm in a profession now where I can afford to pay them off pretty easily and I don't want to see them go away. That said, waiving this debt benefits kids from wealthier (albeit not super wealthy) backgrounds because that's who goes to ultra expensive schools to a much higher degree than low income kids and/or POCs. Maybe this is too cynical, but it feels like pandering to liberal White kids.
That's political speech to her base. It has nothing to do with solving a problem long term.

It's easy to see, promises made to pay off the current debt, but no long term solution to solve the problem other than increasing our taxes to pay for an over priced education for everyone.....

Why is it that every political solution is to increase taxes and throw more money at a broken system?

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This isn't an abject failure of high school kids and an abject failure of society in general. The government has stepped its foot in this and caused a whole big humongous problem. But where's the ridicule, I will say honestly, of parents who don't teach the children about finding degrees and/or jobs to pay back those loans or not going to college if they don't have to because they could be better off finding a trade at a votech and making tons of money with almost no debt?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes, it is.
We live in a democratic republic. Who other than our society put the government in place that you want to blame for all of the ills of our society?
And, I detailed all of the ways that we as a society play a part most of which is not forced on us by the government. Having lived in Australia and seeing how differently the citizens treat kids going to TAFE (votech) or skilled trades shows me that it isn't just specific parents and government. It is us.

Sorry, kicking back and playing the "it's the gubmit's fault" is an attempt to kick responsibility to others instead of wanting to be a part of the fix. You obviously can claim it, but I'm not going to agree with you.
So you focus on that one little part of my comment, and totally ignore the rest of it where I talk about responsibility including the parents. Okay.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
So you focus on that one little part of my comment, and totally ignore the rest of it where I talk about responsibility including the parents. Okay.

The part where you quoted my post and specifically disagreed with me and told me I wasn’t right? Yea, when someone calls out my post and says it is wrong that is the part I focus on rather than yet more platitudes about personal responsibility.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Exactly. It would increase the wealth gap. I can't wait for her to be gone from politics. She disgusts me.

Also, ya gotta love the Dem's for saying Biden has the power to cancel student debt unilaterally. What amazing powers they are excited to give themselves. That definitely won't have any negative repercussions down the line *cough filibuster cough*.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

The part where you quoted my post and specifically disagreed with me and told me I wasn’t right? Yea, when someone calls out my post and says it is wrong that is the part I focus on rather than yet more platitudes about personal responsibility.
You and I just place the blame at different levels. Nice discussion.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I worked every single year I attended college, attending TCC for two years because it was significantly less expensive, took out loans when I went to OSU. My first 3 years out of college, I went without cable so I could make payments on those loans.

There are a multitude of issues here.
College is too expensive, this should be priority one of the politicians in DC, but since they don't want to actually solve problems, just run on a promise to, then that's that

I think our society thinks of way too many luxuries as necessities. I went without cable, I wonder how many young people today would go without 3 streaming services or not upgrade to the latest smart phone every year. If you take on debt, you sometimes have to sacrifice things you WANT to pay it off....that is a dying notion in our society. Which isn't surprising considering the example our leaders set in that area.

People should have a plan, if you don't then why are you going to college. I realized halfway through that I didn't know what I wanted to do. Took a few years off to figure it out then went back and finished.

This, right here^^^^!

Our daughter turned 25 last December and had moved out on her own last July. Prior to her moving out, it was years of just absolutely outsized expectations of buying into the notion that she should just walk out of her parents' home and straight into a middle class life with all of the luxuries she desired. My wife and I really became disgusted with kids her age being told they could never make it today and how unfair the world is now vs. previous generations. She repeated this crap again & again, while she passed on going to college and developing any marketable skill. She bought it, hook, line & sinker.

Meanwhile, two of my nephews, who come from schoolteaching parents (not wealthy, by any means) worked while going to school, took out loans as needed, and graduated with MBA's in 5 years. They also both learned to invest and save. Those 2 kids now sit on over $300,000 in various investments, despite their very middle class backgrounds.

As you can probably tell, I get really disgusted at what Liz Warren and others are selling these young people. We used to tell kids to dream big, make sacrifices, work hard & follow their dreams. Now we've got a group in their ear literally telling them they can't do it.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
This is nothing more than Democrats using tax dollars to buy votes....

And we wonder what is wrong with the direction this country is going? This is a perfect example!

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This, right here^^^^!

Our daughter turned 25 last December and had moved out on her own last July. Prior to her moving out, it was years of just absolutely outsized expectations of buying into the notion that she should just walk out of her parents' home and straight into a middle class life with all of the luxuries she desired. My wife and I really became disgusted with kids her age being told they could never make it today and how unfair the world is now vs. previous generations. She repeated this crap again & again, while she passed on going to college and developing any marketable skill. She bought it, hook, line & sinker.

Meanwhile, two of my nephews, who come from schoolteaching parents (not wealthy, by any means) worked while going to school, took out loans as needed, and graduated with MBA's in 5 years. They also both learned to invest and save. Those 2 kids now sit on over $300,000 in various investments, despite their very middle class backgrounds.

As you can probably tell, I get really disgusted at what Liz Warren and others are selling these young people. We used to tell kids to dream big, make sacrifices, work hard & follow their dreams. Now we've got a group in their ear literally telling them they can't do it.
Breaking that mindset is tough. They see you work your butt off but they still think it's easy.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
45.6 MILLION American's currently have some form of Federal Student Load Debt. This will upset the hardcore Leftist out there.

But allows him to fulfill a campaign promise AND actually do really not much as all as only 1.22% of Federal Student Aid borrowers will get the reprieve automatically

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
45.6 MILLION American's currently have some form of Federal Student Load Debt. This will upset the hardcore Leftist out there.

But allows him to fulfill a campaign promise AND actually do really not much as all as only 1.22% of Federal Student Aid borrowers will get the reprieve automatically

This isn't going to move the needle. They need something big, positive, and energizing as close to the election as possible. They are just softening things up and testing the waters with these small-scale "forgiveness" efforts. As you mentioned, it's a tiny fraction of the overall debt owed.

I'd be willing to bet that they extend the payment pause (arbitrarily) just long enough to do some form of broad "forgiveness" (re-distribution to future taxpayers) just before midterms in an effort to shamelessly buy votes. I'm guessing it'll be the $10,000 per borrower, and may come with a payment cap. The payment cap, I've read, will impose hardships on lower income borrowers since it would likely require proof of income (similar to filing taxes), so they may even waive that if their polling data indicates they need more help. Apparently income data cannot be shared seamlessly between the Dept. of Education and the IRS, so it would require individuals to file a form of some kind to receive the relief.

It won't do anything to solve the longterm problem, and may actually contribute to the inflation problems we have.

Our household would be relieved of $19,600 of loan debt if they do this, but I still don't support it.