Stitt hires first full time Washington Staff member to represent Oklahoma in DC since 1995

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The position will pay $120K per year and will be the first full time staffed office for the state of Oklahoma in Washington DC since David Walters in 1995. The office will be charged with advocating on behalf of Oklahoma and protecting federal funding for the state at the DC level.

Is this like a lobbyist position for the state ?

https://www.koco.com/article/oklaho...-staffer/35991386?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
If we're only paying $120k in Washington I'd bet he/she has another job as well. I'm guessing as a lawyer for a lobbying firm.

Not judging, just saying. I could also see certain advantages to having a person to approach other legislators while allowing our own to deny they were working with "the other side." Plausible deniability. It's what makes the swamp the swamp, and without the drainer-in-chief around the Reps will jump back in with both feet (not that most ever really left).

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
If we're only paying $120k in Washington I'd bet he/she has another job as well. I'm guessing as a lawyer for a lobbying firm.

Not judging, just saying. I could also see certain advantages to having a person to approach other legislators while allowing our own to deny they were working with "the other side." Plausible deniability. It's what makes the swamp the swamp, and without the drainer-in-chief around the Reps will jump back in with both feet (not that most ever really left).
Most lobbyists lobby for more than one client.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma’s Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt announced Tuesday that he’s hiring a $120,000-per-year staffer in Washington, D.C., to advocate on the state’s behalf and help protect federal funding.
The governor’s office said Christina Gungoll Lepore will help identify federal grant opportunities, communicate the state needs in real time, collaborate with the offices of other governors and “push back on burdensome federal regulations and initiatives which could negatively impact the State.”
Stitt said in a news release that he was also opening an office in Washington, making him the the first Oklahoma governor to have an office in the capital since Democrat David Walters left office in 1995.
Stitt spokesman Charlie Hannema said Lepore’s position will be paid out of the governor’s annual budget, which the GOP-controlled Legislature more than doubled after Stitt took office. Hannema defended the state’s employment of a staffer in Washington even though Stitt ended the practice of state agencies hiring contract lobbyists in 2019, noting that order applied only to outside lobbyists.
“As you likely know, many state agencies still employ legislative liaisons on their staffs, which are important to both the agencies and the legislators,” Hannema said.
Hannema said Lepore is not considered a lobbyist since she is employed by the state and acting on the state’s behalf. He added that the governor’s office plans to rent an office in Washington but hasn’t finalized a location.
House Democratic Leader Rep. Emily Virgin questioned why Stitt needs a presence there.
“Oklahomans elect two senators and five representatives to lobby for them in our nation’s capital,” said Virgin, a Democrat from Norman. “Our citizens desperately need a governor focused on the problems Oklahomans are facing, not what is happening in D.C.”
Originally from Enid, Lepore worked in Washington for longtime U.S. Rep. Frank Lucas and several other Republican members of Congress.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
This is what senators used to do. Man we screwed up by changing that.
That seems to be the feelings of just about everyone I've talked to. It seems like every week, Stitt does something to alienate a little bit more of his voting base. I've talked to several lifelong R's that plan on breaking rank and not voting for Stitt next time around...It will be interesting to see what happens.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
That seems to be the feelings of just about everyone I've talked to. It seems like every week, Stitt does something to alienate a little bit more of his voting base. I've talked to several lifelong R's that plan on breaking rank and not voting for Stitt next time around...It will be interesting to see what happens.
Well not to defend Stitt but he isn't responsible for the 17th amendment. ;)

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Seems a little redundant. Shouldn't the job duties of representing Oklahoma and protecting federal funding fall on the representatives that we elected?
Actually, they look out for the people of the states, the Senate was supposed to look out for the interests of the states themselves. That all changed when senators became elected instead of appointed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
The position will pay $120K per year and will be the first full time staffed office for the state of Oklahoma in Washington DC since David Walters in 1995. The office will be charged with advocating on behalf of Oklahoma and protecting federal funding for the state at the DC level.

Is this like a lobbyist position for the state ?

https://www.koco.com/article/oklaho...-staffer/35991386?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#
I guess it's not an issue really, but i thought this is what our elected reps and senators were for.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I wonder what the total cost is going to be. The guy will have a staff, and need to rent office space. He'll probably also have a very healthy expense budget for sending fruit baskets to senators. Will his living expenses go to us OK taxpayers as well? His travel back and forth?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I wonder what the total cost is going to be. The guy will have a staff, and need to rent office space. He'll probably also have a very healthy expense budget for sending fruit baskets to senators. Will his living expenses go to us OK taxpayers as well? His travel back and forth?
I wonder how much power this position has. What will they have to offer/negotiate with/can promise to secure funding for Oklahoma ?

Can they promise things, enter into agreements, etc etc etc on the behalf of the state, or heck even on the behalf of Sitt ?