Stillwater Regional - Welcome MSU, GCU, and UA to Stillwater!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
SanditeCowboy, post: "One more thing, do you think any of Gary Wards’ players would have been on social media (if it were around then) asking fans to show up? I don’t think so. All they wanted to do was get to the ballpark and kick some a$$. Maybe it is just a reflection of society today or I am just old."

This constant guilt-tripping of fans seems a program-wide issue for baseball that starts at the top.

How about you focus on winning the baseball game. Or at least, have some awareness of the world around you. Because half the population is still afraid to breath air within 6' of other another human, (after 2 years of 'News-programming'). And right now, it costs $60 to drive to Stillwater from OKC or Tulsa, where most alumni live. And the softball team was playing for a chance at the finals, at the exact same time as you last night. And some people spent 10 hours watching you play the day before.

Just play baseball. That's your job. Playing, or broadcasting, or promoting OSU baseball. Stop trying to control the fans. Or if you are unable to stop worrying about fans, at the very least, employ a little self-control and stop guilt-tripping them every broadcast or with your OSU twitter accounts.
I made the drive in my Jeep last night and filled up in Stillwater...around $60...but getting two tickets for $20 was worth it even if we didn't pull it out.

Dec 9, 2013
In my opinion here's how I viewed the season without taking a deep dive into the numbers:

Offense- made improvements that are positive compared to the previous 3 years. The reduction in strikeouts is good, need a similar improvement again next year. Need better hitting with RISP.

Defense- too many errors late in the season but had a good year overall even though it was a step back from prior years.

Pitching- injuries hurt (Benge, Osmond) and too much free baseball late in the season. We continue to see significant fatigue to good arms year after year that hurts us late. Maybe we are riding our best arms too long early in the year? Not sure.

Coaching- offensive coaching looks like a step in the right direction, but we're overthinking some situations (Stealing vs OU with Griff at the plate, bunting with 8,9 up, pinch hitting Trenkle, etc).

Pitching decisions are the weakness of the team IMO. We say year after year that we waited too long to make changes and we saw it too many times to count down the stretch. Somebody has to keep Walton in check or find a new pitching coach. We had a bunch of 3+ run innings late in the year that ended this team's run. It also seems that we waste too many pitches when we're ahead 0-2 or 1-2 and nibble the corners too often - especially early in the year.

Overall I like the trajectory the program is headed vs last year or 2019, but something has to shift with the pitching because you can't lose your regional when you score ~70 runs.
I am not a baseball strategist by any stretch but what baffles me about last night is that if we went into the game knowing if needed we would turn to Mederos, JC and Nolan (thought I saw him running back from the pen between 8 & 9), why did we ride Bogusz so long?

Not a knock on the kid bc his 2 day pitch count ended up at 114. Kudos to him for what he did last night but he had to be gassed. Just seems like if you had it in your plan to truly Johnny Allstaff you would have gone earlier to the approach.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I am not a baseball strategist by any stretch but what baffles me about last night is that if we went into the game knowing if needed we would turn to Mederos, JC and Nolan (thought I saw him running back from the pen between 8 & 9), why did we ride Bogusz so long?

Not a knock on the kid bc his 2 day pitch count ended up at 114. Kudos to him for what he did last night but he had to be gassed. Just seems like if you had it in your plan to truly Johnny Allstaff you would have gone earlier to the approach.
I would go even a step further than that, it is the most important game of the year and possibly the last, if you know that JC and VM are ready to pitch and you are going to pitch them, are you willing to even give up 1 run (let alone 4) with both of them sitting in the bullpen? Why not start VM get 3-4 innings, bring in JC 3-4, Huey, Bog, and McLean can all get you 1 inning if need be? We might still lose but if your two best pitchers can’t get it done in an elimination game then you can live with that.

Dec 9, 2013
I would go even a step further than that, it is the most important game of the year and possibly the last, if you know that JC and VM are ready to pitch and you are going to pitch them, are you willing to even give up 1 run (let alone 4) with both of them sitting in the bullpen? Why not start VM get 3-4 innings, bring in JC 3-4, Huey, Bog, and McLean can all get you 1 inning if need be? We might still lose but if your two best pitchers can’t get it done in an elimination game then you can live with that.
I almost have to believe that he didn’t go into the game thinking JC and Nolan. That they came to him and asked to throw. But who knows.

I will say that as much as some like to get on Josh for being laid back (and I get that line of thought) I feel like his approach is what got us through both games Sunday. I don’t know enough about baseball tactics to judge him but I feel just like w Gundy Josh’s demeanor in tough situations helps in close games. I also will say that that approach can also cause you to take your foot off the gas and give up leads or settle for FGs or 1 run innings when you need more.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Starting Bogusz was the right choice! I’ll say it.

Arky beat us with the long ball (and walks). Bogusz doesn’t get hit hard, look at his stats, given up prolly the lowest home runs, not very many doubles.

Force Arky to hit ground balls, play good defense, and see if they can out hit us. (They didnt). And the strategy was working, his first 3 IP were exactly what we drew up.

Nov 18, 2011
Starting Bogusz was the right choice! I’ll say it.

Arky beat us with the long ball (and walks). Bogusz doesn’t get hit hard, look at his stats, given up prolly the lowest home runs, not very many doubles.

Force Arky to hit ground balls, play good defense, and see if they can out hit us. (They didnt). And the strategy was working, his first 3 IP were exactly what we drew up.
Starting Bogusz was the right choice, they were just 3-4 batters late in pulling him per the usual. Put us in a deep hole early we were never able to overcome. Just can’t do that and try and stretch a guy in a championship, do or die situation.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Starting Bogusz was the right choice, they were just 3-4 batters late in pulling him per the usual. Put us in a deep hole early we were never able to overcome. Just can’t do that and try and stretch a guy in a championship, do or die situation.
Yeah that’s a good point. DVH even mentioned they were closely monitoring Jackson. 2nd time through the lineup I thought we would have been ready to make a quick move if needed.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Bogusz isn't a starting pitcher, that was lightning in a bottle. He's a multi-inning reliever at best! Ryan Ure is a weekend guy that needs refinement. The staff really is high on him. Huey could come back for his COVID year assuming he doesn't get drafted, but we'll see. Do he want to commit to pitching full-time? We've tried the position thing and the bat doesn't play and with Roc and Brown manning the middle I don't see it happening. Does Huey leave and transfer if he wants to play in the infield?

Truthfully we don't have any reliable pitchers coming back. Bayden Root and Dillion Marsh come back but they were consistently inconsistent. Root couldn't find the strikezone to save his life. Trevor Martin is a draft eligible sophomore but I could see him being drafted and signing, but if he does come back, he's got to be in the conversation as a weekend guy? Solomon Washington, JUCO pitcher redshirted as did freshman Drew Blake (stillwater native).

You have a bunch of young talented freshman coming to campus. A couple could be draft casualties but most should make it. You also have some JUCO pitches like RHP Luke Young from Miland College and Iowa Western pitchers LHP Brant Hogue and Evan O'Toole. Isaac Stebens (Stillwater native) from Cowley Country (national runner-ups) will be coming in as well. Of course you have the transfer portal, but we whiffed on the portal in the pitching department.
Do everyone think Mederos is for sure gone?

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Congrats to the team for representing OSU this year. No off field issues and they clearly were all in on the season. Did not see anyone selfishly working to position themselves for the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Even with his inconsistent pitching this year you think he will stay there over the next couple weeks leading up to the draft. Also with Osmond injury how far does he fall?
https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Yes he was inconsistent but he had some good touches. Wrobleski was inconsistent and still was drafted and was signed. Jon Heasley was inconsistent here and still was drafted and signed past his signing bonus. Garrett Williams was drafted in the 7th round in 2016 and was inconsistent. Mederos according to MLB is ranked 195.

In terms of Osmond, depends on the injury but even if say it's Tommy John, Wrobleski was a top 5 talent, didn't pitch well, had TJ and fell to the 11th. Either way I don't expect Osmond to be back.