Stadium Renovations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Need to change the culture of fans in BPS. During the KU (homecoming) and TCU games, I can’t believe over half the stadium left in the 4th quarter. Yes…it was like 100–3 on both games but we have to stay and cheer for our team. When Alabama is up 60-0 on Vanderbilt, the crowd stays the entire time. We gotta be there 100% on games like that.

As for the stadium renovations…I’m honestly not sure aside from a new field. I’ve been to TCU, Baylors, Arizona State, OU, UT, Alabama stadium. I feel as though our stadium quality is already in the top 15 level. Perhaps Gundy was talking about more facilities for our players inside the stadium?

BPS seems fine the way it is compared to the stadiums I’ve seen.

Aug 7, 2006
They announced athletic facilities upgrades a couple months ago. Softball is getting a new turf field and outfield fencing and wrestling was getting their new locker room in GIA. They also announced a new recruiting center in the WEZ for football and that they were updating the locker rooms and lounge areas for the players. It was time to give the football area a bit of an upgrade... While all of that stuff was top of the line when it opened in 2009, it is kinda dated now. Wouldn't be surprised to see more upgrades coming for football in the near future.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
They announced athletic facilities upgrades a couple months ago. Softball is getting a new turf field and outfield fencing and wrestling was getting their new locker room in GIA. They also announced a new recruiting center in the WEZ for football and that they were updating the locker rooms and lounge areas for the players. It was time to give the football area a bit of an upgrade... While all of that stuff was top of the line when it opened in 2009, it is kinda dated now. Wouldn't be surprised to see more upgrades coming for football in the near future.
Bigger trophy case? :D

Nov 6, 2010
Need to change the culture of fans in BPS. During the KU (homecoming) and TCU games, I can’t believe over half the stadium left in the 4th quarter. Yes…it was like 100–3 on both games but we have to stay and cheer for our team. When Alabama is up 60-0 on Vanderbilt, the crowd stays the entire time. We gotta be there 100% on games like that.

As for the stadium renovations…I’m honestly not sure aside from a new field. I’ve been to TCU, Baylors, Arizona State, OU, UT, Alabama stadium. I feel as though our stadium quality is already in the top 15 level. Perhaps Gundy was talking about more facilities for our players inside the stadium?

Meh, people have all kinds of reasons for that. For me, we left early during TCU because it was a night game and were staying in Perry, and of course as you said it was a blowout. I think the fans and culture are fine, evidenced by the way we pulled off the blackout.

Now as far as the stadium, I agree with you, we are in great shape. I went to ISU and Boise this year and the concession situation at both those stadiums was horrible. Now, having said that, I think that is the area where we can continue to improve. If we're going to sell beer, then open up more booths, that is a money machine. I stood in line for way too long at the TCU game. I might have bought a second round had it not been so much of a time commitment. Might also convert a couple of the womens restrooms to mens. I get and like the idea of having more for the ladies, but I think we may have overdone the ration a tad.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

It's actually more than fine, but I get and totally agree with your point. Also to your point, it's tough to justify expanding the number of seats when not only is it that empty in the 4Q of many games, there are still quite a lot of empty seats when the game begins. When that changes for the better and becomes consistently full, creating demand for tickets, then perhaps we can discuss the merits of expansion. Aside from that, maybe:

New turf
A play clock in the NE corner of the EZ
Re-evaluate WiFi Network

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX

I think you’re on point with the culture thing, but you also have to account for the external factors that make people leave early. Heat is one of the big factors. The Rangers built an entire new stadium because of that and made it enclosed. Attendance was down because of summer weather in Texas.

Stadiums are going the way of being experience driven venues, not size driven. Look at the new Rams or Raiders stadium. Or if you look at another sport, Juventus stadium development is a great example for the market direction. They had a massive stadium they couldn’t fill, downsized and made it all about fan experience. Doming the stadium is the only structural move we should make. Everything else I’ve seen mentioned is cosmetic (field, clocks, etc.).

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

It's actually more than fine, but I get and totally agree with your point. Also to your point, it's tough to justify expanding the number of seats when not only is it that empty in the 4Q of many games, there are still quite a lot of empty seats when the game begins. When that changes for the better and becomes consistently full, creating demand for tickets, then perhaps we can discuss the merits of expansion. Aside from that, maybe:

New turf
A play clock in the NE corner of the EZ
Re-evaluate WiFi Network
They need to find a way to encourage AT&T Verizon and T-Mobile to bring in cell boosters or whatever they're called on game days.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
They need to find a way to encourage AT&T Verizon and T-Mobile to bring in cell boosters or whatever they're called on game days.

I could barely get any data during the TCU game but forget it during Bedlam. For those 4 hours my phone took a trip to the 2000's and was just a phone that could kinda call and text.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Not sure of the specific technology used for the improvements, but for our facility we need something better with ample capacity.
A place like att stadium has more people and good coverage.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

Modern stadiums like Jerry World have DAS systems, which are essentially tons of small antennas that take cell data and put it directly on a fiber backbone so it doesn't need cell towers. There is a large amount of infrastructure involved in such a thing ($$) that it'd be hard to justify it for 6-7 afternoons a year.

Unrelated, I don't look at my phone once during a game as it's my escape.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Modern stadiums like Jerry World have DAS systems, which are essentially tons of small antennas that take cell data and put it directly on a fiber backbone so it doesn't need cell towers. There is a large amount of infrastructure involved in such a thing ($$) that it'd be hard to justify it for 6-7 afternoons a year.

Unrelated, I don't look at my phone once during a game as it's my escape.
Well, the company I work for depends on phones.
By the way, if you want food delivered to you at the championship game, you have to use the Cowboys app to order.

Last edited: