Spring Game Players to Watch

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
And what did you think? Based on highlights posted that I saw........:runaway:
I think Illingsworth has a higher ceiling than Sanders and definitely has a better deep ball but he's not there yet. Hard to tell in a scrimmage since pocket awareness has been Sanders biggest weakness and obviously that isn't an issue when the QB's are off limits. Both missed some throws.....Illingsworth had a couple of instances where it looked like he and the receiver weren't on the same page...Sanders missed a for sure TD pass on the first drive that he has got to make in a game.

Players that stood out to me were Tay Martin and Jaylen Warren. Martin looks like he is the clear cut #1 option to take over Wallace's spot. Warren had some really nice runs.

Jan 14, 2006
But the way BP can get YAC, Dunn and Tim need to make that SS primary read on lots of plays
I think they have. Keep in mind that our D knows our plays so they very likely took the first read away quite a bit, hence the number of checkdowns to RBs.

I saw SS look to BP first quite a bit before moving on. I'd expect he'll take those 8 yard pops all day during the season.

As good as BP and B Johnson look, I bet we run a lot of 4 wide this year. Just couldn't do it with them split up in the spring game.

Jul 31, 2008
I think they have. Keep in mind that our D knows our plays so they very likely took the first read away quite a bit, hence the number of checkdowns to RBs.

I saw SS look to BP first quite a bit before moving on. I'd expect he'll take those 8 yard pops all day during the season.

As good as BP and B Johnson look, I bet we run a lot of 4 wide this year. Just couldn't do it with them split up in the spring game.
Actually did more empty back-field plays than I expected.

Jan 14, 2006
Actually did more empty back-field plays than I expected.
Yeah. I think it was the same play or two.

I'm excited to see what year two of OC Dunn will bring. We'll miss Tylan and Chuba for sure but I think we're stronger across the board at the skill positions. I expect some new wrinkles this year.

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah. I think it was the same play or two.

I'm excited to see what year two of OC Dunn will bring. We'll miss Tylan and Chuba for sure but I think we're stronger across the board at the skill positions. I expect some new wrinkles this year.
I hope we see a better overall offense because we're not trying to force the ball to those two so much. Maybe we'll make defenses defend the whole field. I thought our reluctance to us the middle of the filed made it way too easy for defenses to spy on Sanders last year.

Jul 31, 2008
Weeden's offense was ultra successful by using the entire field: L-M-R short and L-M-R deep.
Mason's offense was successful by using L-R short and L-M-R deep. Kind of got away from M with him (he wasn't too good at those throws, L-R short are really long throws).
Spencer's offence is only using L-R short. Really don't go deep as Mason did.

So over the last 10 years, we have really gotten away from using the entire field . . . and it shows.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Weeden's offense was ultra successful by using the entire field: L-M-R short and L-M-R deep.
Mason's offense was successful by using L-R short and L-M-R deep. Kind of got away from M with him (he wasn't too good at those throws, L-R short are really long throws).

So over the last 10 years, we have really gotten away from using the entire field . . . and it shows.
"Run the ball and throw it sideways." Direct quote from Gundy to Dunn during one of our early games last season....

Been doing that since Monken left, and the ONLY reason it worked with MR was was due to elite outside WR talent winning jump balls and getting PI. If that's not working, and we can't run dive plays by dominating the LOS, then we have literally nothing else.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Have to play to the QBs capabilities.